Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Just heard on the radio that the 5S is "expected to cost €800 out of contract"? Will there be a 16GB 5S?

That'll be the 32GB model. It should start at around 16GB for €699.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

DubDJ wrote: »
    That'll be the 32GB model. It should start at around 16GB for €699.

that is still very expensive and 16GB is not a lot of hdd space.

By right, the 32GB should be that price, and then offer a 64GB and 128GB versions at extra cost. Its just the hdd which is the difference and are not the most expensive component of the phone.

The prices Apple always quote generally require 2 year contracts with a service provider.

I will be extending my contract for 2 years in november so this happens to work OK-ish for me, still though I will have to fork out €200 for the 16GB or €300 for the 32GB or thereabouts. (for the 5S)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

whiterebel wrote: »
    You are asked whether you wish to share the information with the developer or Apple, and you can opt out. I don't recall this being asked on the android devices.
    Thats a bit different then permissions. The permissions would be things like Viber requiring use of Camera (So you can take pictures to send from the app), Contact data (to check for other viber users phone numbers), Data Connection (So it can actually receive message) etc. When installing an android app these are all listed from the app manifest. I dont know if a similar list is available on iOS but it can be a bit daunting to look at when unfamiliar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

.ak wrote: »
    I thought the 5C was going to be released to rival Samsung's midrange phones. It's just another expensive phone. Think they're missing a trick by not releasing a 'Nano' style phone tbh.
    no, that's what all the news sites thought. they were wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I don't see the point of the 5C at all tbh, they have the 4s as a "budget" phone, the 5 is still plenty good and the 5s is a new hat version of the 5. An "entry" iphone shouldnt cost more than most high end androids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I was shocked when I was trying to fix something on my son's Android phone when I saw the privileges most, if not all, apps were demanding.
    And remember that there are thousands of android apps out there that lie about their permissions and are written solely to get access to the private data. There is no oversight of apps that go in to the Android store, as there always has been on the app store. It's the wild west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

krudler wrote: »
    I don't see the point of the 5C at all tbh, they have the 4s as a "budget" phone, the 5 is still plenty good and the 5s is a new hat version of the 5. An "entry" iphone shouldnt cost more than most high end androids
    it's not an entry phone though? it's a replacement to the 5. People need to stop thinking of the C meaning 'Cheap' or budget, it's anything but. It's a powerful phone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Just got a new cover for my iPhone 5.

That'll do me for 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Where I work I have to do a trip report at the end of the week to show my manager what I have been up to. When I have had a bit of a lazy week I will write a report and waffle it out a bit so it seems like I have done loads of work. This entire keynote felt like one of those reports.

They haven't done anything new, every innovation in iOS7 came from the jailbreak community. I used to be a bit apple supporter, went to android last year and am never coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Just got a new cover for my iPhone 5.

That'll do me for 12 months.

Wise move, it feels like a new phone, you feel like you've stole a new phone (cause it cost you nowhere near as much as a new iPhone lol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

it's not an entry phone though? it's a replacement to the 5. People need to stop thinking of the C meaning 'Cheap' or budget, it's anything but. It's a powerful phone.
    tis cheap
    cheap for apple to produce!!

you wait till they start bragging to the stockmarket at the next possible opportunity and they'll be so proud as to how they are making the same phone for less and increasing the profit margin. Not to mention flogging a plastic cover costing a few cent to produce for 30euro or so.

for me, I might plump for the 4s as my company phone now that its come into the applicable price bracket but the lack of memory is a bit of a turnoff.

Apple think that their pricing models will force you to buy the more expensive model but REALLY it just encourages people to spend half the amount on an android than apples entry phone to do much the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The iPhone 5C is an utterly hideous looking device, if it was cheap, maybe people could live with it, but its not much of a leap up to the 5S. I like the 5S in the new colours, it looks very well, the 5C seems to be utterly pointless, looks like shít, costs almost the same.

kjl wrote: »
    Where I work I have to do a trip report at the end of the week to show my manager what I have been up to. When I have had a bit of a lazy week I will write a report and waffle it out a bit so it seems like I have done loads of work. This entire keynote felt like one of those reports.

They haven't done anything new, every innovation in iOS7 came from the jailbreak community. I used to be a bit apple supporter, went to android last year and am never coming back.

I do hate the lack of innovation myself, I actually heard this morning that one news report was entitled 'is this the end of the password?'.....fingerprint readers have been around for over a decade, and it's only when Apple does it that anyone pays attention - they didn't even invent it.

On the other hand, Apple has never really been about innovation, it's about making loads of money (they're not one of the richest companies in the US for nothing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

new_maniac wrote: »
    I do hate the lack of innovation myself, I actually heard this morning that one news report was entitled 'is this the end of the password?'.....fingerprint readers have been around for over a decade, and it's only when Apple does it that anyone pays attention - they didn't even invent

Yes they've been around for over a decade. I had one on a dell xps I bought 5 years ago, and you know what , it was a piece of crap that was ridiculously hard to use. You had to slowly slide your finger across it. It worked maybe 3 times out of 10.
    The way apple has implemented it, it just works . Simple as that. Hold your finger on it for less than 1 second and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

Inquitus wrote: »
    The iPhone 5C is an utterly hideous looking device, if it was cheap, maybe people could live with it, but its not much of a leap up to the 5S. I like the 5S in the new colours, it looks very well, the 5C seems to be utterly pointless, looks like shít, costs almost the same.

The colours looks a bit off to me. They're not very striking. Just cheap looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

L5 wrote: »
    Yes they've been around for over a decade. I had one on a dell xps I bought 5 years ago, and you know what , it was a piece of crap that was ridiculously hard to use. You had to slowly slide your finger across it. It worked maybe 3 times out of 10.
    The way apple has implemented it, it just works . Simple as that. Hold your finger on it for less than 1 second and that's it.
    not really a scanner, it more take ultra HD photos and analyses them, still cool though

L5 wrote: »

Oh yeah, i'm not questioning the quality of what they've produced, anything apple have produced is of a very high standard....it's just how everyone chooses to ignore ten years of technology when Apple do something.

Lol, I had a laptop with the same thing actually, I did give up and revert to using the password login

new_maniac wrote: »
    Oh yeah, i'm not questioning the quality of what they've produced, anything apple have produced is of a very high standard....it's just how everyone chooses to ignore ten years of technology when Apple do something.

Lol, I had a laptop with the same thing actually, I did give up and revert to using the password login
    You appear to have some bizarre idea of innovation and see it more as invention. They are very different things. Apple doesn't necessarily invent stuff and they have never made any noise about doing so.
    Innovation is completely different and it is amazingly innovative, by any accurate definition of the word, to bring a function like this to a phone. If it works, and I see no suggestion that it won't work, then it will transform the way we use our smart phones and it will almost certainly lead to similar technology being implemented for laptops and desktops.
    People ignored it because no one could implement it in any kind of effective, useful and innovative way. Apple is now doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

What is the price of the sim free iPhone 5C? Is it true it's between €80-100 cheaper than the regular iPhone? Hardly cheap. So much for apple claiming he metal casing being the expenive production cost.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    What is the price of the sim free iPhone 5C? Is it true it's between €80-100 cheaper than the regular iPhone? Hardly cheap. So much for apple claiming he metal casing being the expenive production cost.
    We won't know until it arrives here. Anything else will be speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Slightly off-topic but can a mod change the thread title from "The IPhone 5S and 5C" to "The iPhone 5S and 5C"? It's just annoying me to see the "i" in capitals, looks like a small L. ;)

Edit: and same goes for the "IWatch" thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Has anyone got a comparison between the 5, 5c and 5s?

Those phones are ridiculously overpriced especially the 5c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Mr.S wrote: »
    The iPhone 5C is €599 and €699 while the 5S is €699 & €799. For 16/32gb models.

No date for Ireland, probably December. No carrier prices yet.

That's the French and German prices. Both of them were €10 off the price of the 4s

Mr.S wrote: »
    Its the European € price for both phones direct from Apple, which is what the Irish site will be charging when they take preorders!

Alternatively, the UK store (belfast) will be selling 'em from about €560 depending on the exchange rate you get on the day!
    My point still stands. There was a difference in price of the 4s between those 2 stores and the Irish store. Look up the thread.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

guil wrote: »
    My point still stands. There was a difference in price of the 4s between those 2 stores and the Irish store. Look up the thread.

Higher VAT rate in France and Germany, wasn't it?

Higher VAT rate in France and Germany, wasn't it?

Yeah something like that. Think it was €629 here and €639 over there. Haven't a clue what it was for the 5 launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Carphone Warehouse employee said email came through which stated they’re getting 5s on the 20th of this month apparently. I said that was for the UK, and the guy replied that what he has heard was the above..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

So in a nutshell, everyone was expecting Apple to throw a bunch of previous-gen components into a cheap plastic enclosure and sell it for 350-400. Instead they did what they always do. Focus on quality and in turn profitability at the expense of marketshare. It's the same old story which has been repeated multiple times over the years with the iPod Mini, the Mac Mini, the iPad Mini, etc. Apple don't do cheap, low-cost or whatever you want to call it. Their stubborn refusal to play the same game as the rest of the industry has caused many to predict their demise over the years. I don't need to elaborate on how these predications have panned out.

The iPhone 5c is an iPhone 5. The (by all accounts high quality) plastic enclosure isn't enough to sell it for 200 less than the 5s. If Apple really wanted I'm sure they could have offered an 8GB model for a 100 less, but for whatever reason they decided not to. However, jump forward a year or two from now, I'd be very surprised if the entry-level c-model isn't 500 - once they (finally) double the storage in the main iPhone.

I understand people's frustration at Apple not offering a genuinely low-cost iPhone. But as someone who has been using Apple products for well over a decade, long before they were cool, this is how Apple operate. The few occasions they have skimped on quality the results were pretty nasty (see the 14-inch iBook). Either you think their stuff is worth the premium or you don't. If you don't there's plenty of less expensive alternatives out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

miralize wrote: »
    Carphone Warehouse employee said email came through which stated they’re getting 5s on the 20th of this month apparently. I said that was for the UK, and the guy replied that what he has heard was the above..

I've read this and re-read it. I still don't understand what this means. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

mad muffin wrote: »
    I've read this and re-read it. I still don't understand what this means. :confused:

Yeah I'm not the best at that apologies. Basically he said that they'll be here on Friday week, when I questioned him about it, he said that regardless of what I think, thats what he heard. But he was polite about it! :)

Advertisement