Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

miralize wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not the best at that apologies. Basically he said that they'll be here on Friday week, when I questioned him about it, he said that regardless of what I think, thats what he heard. But he was polite about it! :)

Interesting, but I don't think is true.

The slide clearly state what countries will be getting the phones on the 20th.

Ireland was not umongst those countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So in a nutshell, everyone was expecting Apple to throw a bunch of previous-gen components into a cheap plastic enclosure and sell it for 350-400. Instead they did what they always do. Focus on quality and in turn profitability at the expense of marketshare. It's the same old story which has been repeated multiple times over the years with the iPod Mini, the Mac Mini, the iPad Mini, etc. Apple don't do cheap, low-cost or whatever you want to call it. Their stubborn refusal to play the same game as the rest of the industry has caused many to predict their demise over the years. I don't need to elaborate on how these predications have panned out.

This already brought about their demise the first time round, history does seem to be repeating itself here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The release of the 5C will make it harder to sell on the 5 I think, as it's pretty much the same phone anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Inquitus wrote: »
    This already brought about their demise the first time round, history does seem to be repeating itself here.

Arguably yes, but there were other factors at play then. Poor management at Apple for a start. They allowed their competitors to get ahead of them. Significantly ahead of them. I know some will say they've done so now as well, but they haven't, not in the ways that matter. Also, there's no IBM this time. Apple face a cabal of competitors who are also competing with each other. Another big difference is the enterprise market is no longer as important. They might have been willing to accept inferior products but consumers aren't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

For the people who have been using Apple devices for a long time: Try android.

Their is a reason why android has 80% of the market while iOS had 16%

Get the galaxy s4. I have and truth be told I've never had an iPhone but I've had an ipod touch which is pretty much an iPhone.

Samsung made more money than apple this year and they also make more phones

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭Doublelime

Get the galaxy s4. I have and truth be told I've never had an iPhone but I've had an ipod touch which is pretty much an iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Doublelime wrote: »

So what if more phones are using android.
    What does it prove?

The Nissan Quasqui is the best selling car in Ireland.
    What does that prove?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

What does it prove?

What does that prove?

And it's a ball of sh1t

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

What does it prove?

What does that prove?

Exactly, so what is WP8 doesn't have a huge marketshare, it's a solid, reliable, fast mobile OS...market share proves nothing riiiight :p

/sidenote: don't really care that much about mobile os' or brands - just what ticks my boxes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

Thanks for that. I like the S4 myself but I feel personally that I prefer the size of the iphone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Exactly, so what is WP8 doesn't have a huge marketshare, it's a solid, reliable, fast mobile OS...market share proves nothing riiiight :p

/sidenote: don't really care that much about mobile os' or brands - just what ticks my boxes :pac:

WP8 is fast, solid and runs on affordable hardware. Its the best OS out their for bringing smartphones to the masses, period. I have seen some terrible Android devices, slow and unusable.

If you leap from a Lumia 620 to an iPhone 5 you will not notice a major difference in what you can do. OK a few more apps a better built device and a better camera however as a phone, messages, for email, internet and the basics they are identical. I think that is lost on Apple and their legions of devoted Fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I have, several times. It is far inferior.
    Yes there is.

You are only stating market share by unit numbers. Those numbers include a multitude of android phones that would struggle to be labelled as 'smart' in any sensible way. There are also dozens of android models, many very cheap and sub quality.
    Apple makes on one model - the iPhone.

It's like comparing jaguar cars with nissan or fiat. It's a dumb comparison.
    I used one for two months and gave it to my son when I just found it unbearable. He then sold it to his cousin after one month and begged me for a 2nd hand iPhone 4 which I got.
    Wrong wrong and wrong.

I actually agree on most of your Android critique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

Piliger wrote: »

That's just your opinion. But in what ways do you find it so inferior?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What demise are you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Yes there is.

You are only stating market share by unit numbers. Those numbers include a multitude of android phones that would struggle to be labelled as 'smart' in any sensible way. There are also dozens of android models, many very cheap and sub quality.

It's like comparing jaguar cars with nissan or fiat. It's a dumb comparison.

I used one for two months and gave it to my son when I just found it unbearable. He then sold it to his cousin after one month and begged me for a 2nd hand iPhone 4 which I got.

Wrong wrong and wrong.

They do make more phones, that's pretty obvious, They have also sold more phones than apple since quarter 1 of 2012 till present. Made more profit in 2012 than apple on smartphones..roughly 30bn.. (not talking other products just phones) also they are crushing apple in sales in quarter 2 this year.

Not that i give a shít though, cause its not my money so fúck em all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

beauf wrote: »
    What demise are you talking about?

Probably the one where they almost went bankrupt, sacked Steve jobs and were bailed out by Microsoft.

Apple are not going anywhere they will not dominate or grow much market share much beyond their current position, they had their chance to produce a €250 device and said no to mainstream, however Android is ripe for Windows phone 8 to have a crack at it for the mainstream devices.

Its (Android) a disjointed OS with so many poor devices out their at the low and mid end range; a lot of unhappy current customers suffering the devices that will leave unless Google cleans the OS up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Have you an alternative to put forward?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Does anyone know where I can find the thread about the new iPhone 5c and 5s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

I think that one is titled wrong - just seems to be a lot of android talk in it..... surely there is an android v apple thread somewhere on here too.

Probably the one where they almost went bankrupt, sacked Steve jobs and were bailed out by Microsoft.

So ... the one where they didn't go bankrupt or suffer a demise.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Just a quick one.

Anyone know if the iPhone 5S or 5C has an in built 3 X 4 old style type keyboard ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Just a quick one.

Anyone know if the iPhone 5S or 5C has an in built 3 X 4 old style type keyboard ?
    Fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-not-sure-if-sarcasm-or-serious-e14739.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

DubDJ wrote: »
    Fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-not-sure-if-sarcasm-or-serious-e14739.jpg

No I'm serious. I'm forever spelling words wrong on the qwerty keyboard, I find it too small for my fat fingers. I find the 3 X 4 keyboard type way easier to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

No I'm serious. I'm forever spelling words wrong on the qwerty keyboard, I find it too small for my fat fingers. I find the 3 X 4 keyboard type way easier to use.

Of course it doesn't, most smartphones have some form of query keyboard. I spell a lot of words wrong but I find the iOS keyboard usually corrects the mistakes for me.

Android is a lot more open when it comes to custom keyboards there may be an alternative on the Play Store.

I find the Apple screen is more responsive so I make less typing errors. But something like Swype on my android is much faster if its a common word. A lot of the android ones aren't great. If not I prefer the Apple. I was pretty quick with T9 though. TBH I preferred the keypad on my Nokia E71.

So ... the one where they didn't go bankrupt or suffer a demise.:rolleyes:

Exactly.

What demise?

And IMO you've got it backwards. It wasn't apple refusal to play the same game as everyone else. It was them trying to do the same thing everyone else. A zillion different models, trying to increase market share, even making a Mac/Dos hybrid the Power Macintosh 6100 DOS Compatible. Getting all tied up in the speed race.

Which is why they are so reluctant to expand their range of products now.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Which is why they are so reluctant to expand their range of products now.
    Jobs philosophy was to stick with only one or two core configurations, and only when there was a good functional reason. Apple were never going to go down market, and Cook won't start now.

Advertisement