Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Piliger wrote: »
    Jobs philosophy was to stick with only one or two core configurations, and only when there was a good functional reason. Apple were never going to go down market, and Cook won't start now.

Its one of the ways he turned the company around when near the brink of bankruptcy.

aapl-chrt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I've never heard the man speak before but looking at the official videos on the site does anyone else find Jonny Ives a bit of an insufferable pretentious a***hole?

Describing the 5C it sounded like one of those Marks & Spencer food ads: "intentionally off texture outer with a luxurious soft felt lining" that was describing a phone cover!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

I've never heard the man speak before but looking at the official videos on the site does anyone else find Jonny Ives a bit of an insufferable pretentious a***hole?

Describing the 5C it sounded like one of those Marks & Spencer food ads: "intentionally off texture outer with a luxurious soft felt lining" that was describing a phone cover!!!

I can't stand the sound of his voice sh!ting on the way he does.

He's very good at what he does though...with the exception of the 5c and iOS7's UI imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

I can't stand the sound of his voice sh!ting on the way he does.

He's very good at what he does though...with the exception of the 5c and iOS7's UI imo.

Well the 5C is a 5 with a different coat so nothing earth shattering there. The ios 7 UI I've only seen the screen shots but I will reserve judgement on that until I actually use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

Well the 5C is a 5 with a different coat so nothing earth shattering there. The ios 7 UI I've only seen the screen shots but I will reserve judgement on that until I actually use it.

The colours for the 5c are just awful looking. Maybe they'll be better in real life. I think something more vibrant like the Lumia colours would've been better.

I didn't like the look of iOS7 when I used it at all. :( It's one of the reasons I'll probably venture back to Android for a while.

Edit: Not that I like Touchwiz on the Galaxy, but at least I can change all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Apple are not going anywhere they will not dominate or grow much market share much beyond their current position, they had their chance to produce a €250 device and said no to mainstream, however Android is ripe for Windows phone 8 to have a crack at it for the mainstream devices.

Its (Android) a disjointed OS with so many poor devices out their at the low and mid end range; a lot of unhappy current customers suffering the devices that will leave unless Google cleans the OS up.

Google have already cleaned up the OS. 4.0 is hugely improved however that's not going to solve Android woes.

It is Google's fault for the disjointed hardware/cell carriers bastardisation of Android and it's all because Android is "open".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Jobs philosophy was to stick with only one or two core configurations, and only when there was a good functional reason. Apple were never going to go down market, and Cook won't start now.

While it may have turned into a "philosophy" its a basic business principle to reduce the products lines to reduce costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

In all fairness he could hardly go on and say "this is the 5C, it's oomI suppose". It's his job to talk these things up as if they were made by the hand of God. I've a lot of respect for him as I think the devices and computers Apple make are gorgeous and that's largely down to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

Google have already cleaned up the OS. 4.0 is hugely improved however that's not going to solve Android woes.

It is Google's fault for the disjointed hardware/cell carriers bastardisation of Android and it's all because Android is "open".

Agreed, and Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 was released Nov 2011, nearly 2 years ago. Anyone who uses that argument that Google has to clean the OS has no clue about Android. Android is now on 4.3 and is still on the next version Jellybean. My wife and my sister to moved from Apple devices to Nexus devices with ease, vanilla Android is now much more intuitive and polished than iOS and anyone who says it isn't hasn't tried it.

Where in Dublin can you buy a Phone with Vanilla Android 4.3 on it? or even to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

beauf wrote: »
    Where in Dublin can you buy a Phone with Vanilla Android 4.3 on it? or even to try it.

Can only be bought online in Ireland. That's why they are so cheap.
    Unreal device, I'm selling my HTC one and keeping the nexus :)

Who wants to buy in a shop?
    http://www.expansys.ie/lg-google-galaxy-nexus-4-uk-8gb-black-239045/
    http://www.phonesonline.ie/google-nexus-4-sim-free.html
    You missed the boat, sold out now though.

You could even get them straight from Google if you use Parcel Motel or get someone travelling to bring one back from the UK/USA

My point is to illustrate the fragmentation of Android. That you can't buy a phone in Ireland with the most recent Android OS update.

My point is to illustrate the fragmentation of Android. That you can't buy a phone in Ireland with the most recent Android OS update.

Can't? Hundreds in the Android forum have them ;)

smee again wrote: »
    Can't? Hundreds in the Android forum have them ;)

They bought a phone in a shop in Ireland new with 4.3 on it?

They bought a phone in a shop in Ireland new with 4.3 on it?

It's been posted already, they are not in shops, online only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

My wife and my sister to moved from Apple devices to Nexus devices with ease, vanilla Android is now much more intuitive and polished than iOS and anyone who says it isn't hasn't tried it.
    I used this Android recently for a week while mine was left in a hotel in London and it is a shadow of iOS. You can go on and on and on about your sweet vanilla android as long as you want but it won't make it any better and it won't make it the phone that the world wants. The iPhone is the premium and best phone, and for a good reason. It's simply the best. Android is a mess.

But hey enjoy android ! If it's all you can afford or you are just one of those who always hate 'the popular one' .... :D .... go ahead.

I used this Android recently for a week while mine was left in a hotel in London and it is a shadow of iOS. You can go on and on and on about your sweet vanilla android as long as you want but it won't make it any better and it won't make it the phone that the world wants. The iPhone is the premium and best phone, and for a good reason. It's simply the best. Android is a mess.

But hey enjoy android ! If it's all you can afford or you are just one of those who always hate 'the popular one' .... :D .... go ahead.

I hate when responds to a silly statement with another just as ridiculous statement. Android isn't as easy to use as a iPhone, but a lot of Android phones are premium devices and cost more than the iPhone.

Its all about preference, but to belittle someone about the price of their phone is just petty, especially when it just isnt true.

It's been posted already, they are not in shops, online only

Which was my point originally. That Android Fragmentation is a growing problem.

http://readwrite.com/2013/08/01/android-fragmentation-getting-worse-all-the-time-visualization#awesm=~ohevzvoNcJ4QRS

Theres a comparision with iOS fragmentation in this one.

http://opensignal.com/reports/fragmentation-2013/

What Android phone?

Premium yes, best no, there are plenty better than it and not just Android.

• Advertisement

Which was my point originally. That Android Fragmentation is a growing problem.

http://readwrite.com/2013/08/01/android-fragmentation-getting-worse-all-the-time-visualization#awesm=~ohevzvoNcJ4QRS

Theres a comparision with iOS fragmentation in this one.

http://opensignal.com/reports/fragmentation-2013/

Of course there will be fragmentation, Apple make a handful of phones, with android it's thousands. Android is not a product, it's a platform for creating products. We are comparing with new iPhones here so we should only be considering the comparable new high end devices which are mostly on 4.2

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

If you want to hear some rambling, ill-informed opinions from three iPhone developers, you could have a listen to this month's Verbose Podcast:

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/episode-4-dissections/id652218985?i=167148694&mt=2

(yes, I am one of the people involved)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

all this relates to 5c and 5s ...How ????

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

miralize wrote: »
    Carphone Warehouse employee said email came through which stated they’re getting 5s on the 20th of this month apparently. I said that was for the UK, and the guy replied that what he has heard was the above..

I have a friend who works for carphone warehouse and he received no such email, or there wasnt a countrywide one at least.

your friend sounds like a spoofer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

all this relates to 5c and 5s ...How ????
    Clearly it doesn't .... it's just the usual Android fanboys coming in to try to disrupt the forum. They really are a sad bunch :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Clearly it doesn't .... it's just the usual Android fanboys coming in to try to disrupt the forum. They really are a sad bunch :D

I wonder if the Android forum has the same problem with Apple fans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I wonder if the Android forum has the same problem with Apple fans?

As an owner of both devices, that'd be a no. or at least i havent seen as many dick measuring contests over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Can't believe they got rid of the Black & Slate iPhone. The nicest iPhone they have ever built in my opinion. The new space grey colour looks like they've gone back to the 4 colour scheme.

• Advertisement

I have a friend who works for carphone warehouse and he received no such email, or there wasnt a countrywide one at least.

your friend sounds like a spoofer.
    Cheers. Not a friend, he probably just wants my custom.

Advertisement