Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

As an owner of both devices, that'd be a no. or at least i havent seen as many dick measuring contests over there.

I did say once in the HTC One thread that I was planning on keeping my iPhone even though I got the One. Shocked they were.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I wonder if the Android forum has the same problem with Apple fans?

Neutral Opinion i have both a HTC One & Iphone5 Both have there own unique draw, Personally Prefer Android OS but The iOS just works very well especially in a Business enviroment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Neutral Opinion i have both a HTC One & Iphone5 Both have there own unique draw, Personally Prefer Android OS but The iOS just works very well especially in a Business enviroment.

Don't take this the wrong way but why would people need two state of the art smartphones and then feel the need to upgrade?

Can't get my head around it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

smee again wrote: »
    Of course there will be fragmentation, Apple make a handful of phones, with android it's thousands. Android is not a product, it's a platform for creating products. We are comparing with new iPhones here so we should only be considering the comparable new high end devices which are mostly on 4.2

The suggestion was to go try the latest Android version. Which is 4.3

I wonder if I go into a shop how many would be on 4.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

beauf wrote: »
    The suggestion was to go try the latest Android version. Which is 4.3

I wonder if I go into a shop how many would be on 4.2

You keep mentioning shops when you've been told numerous times the Nexus is only available online (anywhere, not just Ireland). Find a friend with one and try it. The latest version of Android is still Jellybean, whether it's 4.2 or 4.3. 4.3 offers nothing new over 4.2, it's an incremental update.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

This is getting beyond a joke... lads please go talk in an android thread. I have no interest in reading about it - I only want to read details regarding the new iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I have a friend who works for carphone warehouse and he received no such email, or there wasnt a countrywide one at least.

your friend sounds like a spoofer.

To be fair, Miralize did say it was a friend in the UK.
    I'm 99% sure they will be getting it on the 20th of Sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Sonics2k wrote: »
    They announced IN the keynote that the UK would be getting it on the 20th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Sonics2k wrote: »

This is true.

as you were, gentlemen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Piliger wrote: »
    They announced IN the keynote that the UK would be getting it on the 20th.

There is also this very slight hint.

>.>
    <.<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Neither Nexus nor Android, as fine as those products may be, appear in the title of this thread.

Once again, please KEEP ON TOPIC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Ehh I said that I questioned him if he was mistaken with the UK release and he said that what he heard was that the Carphone Warehouse is getting the phone on the 20th. Carphone Warehouse have stores in the UK right? That might just be the company sending the email out of everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I thought the C would be cheaper. I don't know why though.
    Apple's shares fell more than 5 per cent on Wednesday, following the launch of its new iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C.
    The share price ended at a one-month low of $467.24 at midday after at least three brokerages downgraded the stock.
    It is thought that investors were put off by the price of the handsets, especially the so-called 'cheap' iPhone 5C which starts at £469, claiming they weren't low enough for Apple to attract new customers, especially in emerging markets such as China.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2418443/Apple-shares-drop-5-new-iPhone-investors-fear-cheap-handsets-expensive.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

beauf wrote: »

The whole world did, the media gossip seemed to suggest that. I guess what Apple meant was cheaper

smee again wrote: »
    The whole world did, the media gossip seemed to suggest that. I guess what Apple meant was cheaper

No. The out of touch and uninformed Media did. No one who follows apple and knows anything about them, without an agenda to plug, ever thought this. Apple doesn't do cheap and is extremely unlikely to ever do cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

No. The out of touch and uninformed Media did. No one who follows apple and knows anything about them, without an agenda to plug, ever thought this. Apple doesn't do cheap and is extremely unlikely to ever do cheap.

Except you know, the cheap stuff. The cheapest iOS device retails for $199. About that in euros here. That's the touch. An iPhone without the telephony chipset.

Except you know, the cheap stuff. The cheapest iOS device retails for $199. About that in euros here. That's the touch. An iPhone without the telephony chipset.

You call that cheap ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It's a luxury device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I follow Apple pretty closely and I believed they would introduce a cheap device. As did a lot of forum members, most of them actually. And by cheap we mean around the €400 range. Not cheap really, but compared to the normal iPhone price of €679 it definitely was.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I follow Apple pretty closely and I believed they would introduce a cheap device. As did a lot of forum members, most of them actually. And by cheap we mean around the €400 range. Not cheap really, but compared to the normal iPhone price of €679 it definitely was.
    It was never going to happen. Look at the prices of the competition. Apple was never going to go that low. Too many people believe the blogosphere who have an agenda with their endless, unsupported speculation, and then import their speculation into their own thinking without looking at the big picture ... Apple's intrinsic philosophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Yep I was expecting it to be a slightly more expensive SGS4 Mini & HTC One Mini competitor to tackle that mid-range phone market to get more people on iOS for around €400 but it's not even close. I guess the iPhone 4S is that phone but it's hard to convince people it's a better option than the two mentioned above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I was expecting it to cost a lot less as well. But that belief however was based on a false assumption that Apple would announce a feature or spec crippled device in order to strongly differentiate between the high-end and low-end and avoid cannibalising sales of the main iPhone. Similar assumptions were made in advance of the launch of the iPod Mini, Mac Mini, MacBook Air and iPad Mini and they all turned out to be false as well.

Apple consistently choose quality and profitability over price and marketshare. Everyone should be used to this by now. But there's still a tendency amongst even the most experienced Apple watchers and tech analysts to underestimate the extent to which Apple plays by its own rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

miralize wrote: »
    Carphone Warehouse employee said email came through which stated they’re getting 5s on the 20th of this month apparently. I said that was for the UK, and the guy replied that what he has heard was the above..

I can confirm this is untrue.

Source: I work for cpw.

Apparently some info is meant to come through on the 20th but it's meant to be public knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

People said the same thing about the iPad mini and that happened. Apple do, and have for the past few years, offer a €400 device. So there was no reason not to introduce a 5C as a replacement for that. It had all the trademarks for a low-cost apple device, it was plastic, the C in the name could of even hinted at 'cheap'. It would will be a great high quality device, but just take the place or the 8GB iPhone 4S.

Most of the reputable news sites and dedicated Apple blogs thought the 5C would be an inexpensive android alternative too, to take on the mid-range android market. In fact I never saw an article which said th opposite, which is probably where the majority of the negitivity came from with the pricing reveal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

murpho999 wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way but why would people need two state of the art smartphones and then feel the need to upgrade?

Can't get my head around it!

Personal & Company Phone like to keep business and Pleasure seperate! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Anyone any ideas how many new features of iOS 7 will not make it to the 4s? I'm thinking of picking one up for a relative now that they've come down in price a bit but I wonder would I better spending a bit more to get a 5 instead?

Also, how long do you guys think it will be before the 5s is readily available sim-free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Personal & Company Phone like to keep business and Pleasure seperate! :)

+1 to that...No way on earth is a business colleague gonna get my Personal Number...I would be plagued

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

That's rubbish, until a couple of weeks ago, everyone thought that was the reason for the 5C. Including all the best informed bloggers and apple followers Even apple insiders like John Gruber wrote long articles on why it was the move they are making, he changed tack a couple of weeks ago when apple changed their mind and again noted how 'wrong' he was after the launch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Everyone might have been expecting a "cheap" iPhone, but that doesn't mean it made sense. The 5c is fairly consistent with Apple's previous products. However, I think a lot of people, even Gruber, were probably of the mind that Cook (the numbers guy) wouldn't be able to resist the opportunity to grab a bigger piece of the marketshare pie, even if it meant sacrificing quality. This is why I find the 5c strangely reassuring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

It'll be interesting to see how popular the 5C turns out to be. Seems to be very little interest judging by here (granted not a good indicator of general public) and my twitter/facebook feeds. I certainly would rather pay the extra €100 for the the premium phone. The 5S just looks a lot better than the 5C to me.

Advertisement