Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Piliger wrote: »
    You call that cheap ??

Sure. It's almost an iPhone. The iPhone 5 is 3+ times more expensive.

If they released a $199 phone it would be cheap. Very. Most of us were expecting the iPhone 5C to come in at 350-450. Not 550+

Everyone might have been expecting a "cheap" iPhone, but that doesn't mean it made sense. The 5c is fairly consistent with Apple's previous products. However, I think a lot of people, even Gruber, were probably of the mind that Cook (the numbers guy) wouldn't be able to resist the opportunity to grab a bigger piece of the marketshare pie, even if it meant sacrificing quality. This is why I find the 5c strangely reassuring.

I see Cook as more of a margins guy. He also worries about shortages. My suspicion is the 5C will see a large drop in official price post Christmas/Chinese New Year.

copacetic wrote: »
    That's rubbish, until a couple of weeks ago, everyone thought that was the reason for the 5C. Including all the best informed bloggers and apple followers Even apple insiders like John Gruber wrote long articles on why it was the move they are making, he changed tack a couple of weeks ago when apple changed their mind and again noted how 'wrong' he was after the launch.

Gruber has always been at war with EastAsia.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I see Cook as more of a margins guy. He also worries about shortages. My suspicion is the 5C will see a large drop in official price post Christmas/Chinese New Year.

Unless sales are very, very bad, there's no way they'll do that. Any price drop will come with the next model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Unless sales are very, very bad, there's no way they'll do that. Any price drop will come with the next model.

Yeah it would look bad if they dropped the price that quickly, it would be admitting they messed up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

In the past they simply dropped an under selling product.

Everyone might have been expecting a "cheap" iPhone, but that doesn't mean it made sense. The 5c is fairly consistent with Apple's previous products. However, I think a lot of people, even Gruber, were probably of the mind that Cook (the numbers guy) wouldn't be able to resist the opportunity to grab a bigger piece of the marketshare pie, even if it meant sacrificing quality. This is why I find the 5c strangely reassuring.

Apples previous strategy was a makeshift response to not having distinct models. Now that they have two models - and they were at pains to point that out - the pricing and the maintaining of the 4S makes no sense.

A lot of people who think Apple are always strategic think this was deliberate, I think they were intending to replace the 4S ( else why start the project?) but the numbers didn't work after they estimated production costs. Possibly johnny ive's special plastic woven from the tears of Bolivian Tapirs ended up being more expensive than anticipated. Maybe that's why Bob Mansfield had to go. He couldn't get it to work.

You see, making this device the same price as the 5 would have been makes no sense. With Apples pricing policy $100 extra either gets you 16G of memory ( within the 5S range) OR a new processor which is claimed to be twice as fast, new GPU, extra RAM, the newest device, the M7 chip and a fingerprint scanner if you come in to buy the 5C and leave with the 5s.

That kind of pricing policy doesn't add up. Why wouldnt people buy the 5S if they can afford the 5C? ( Of course many millions can afford neither).

Maybe Apple know they can get lots of on contract orders for the 5C and are letting PAYG hang for now.

The next model might be early next year. Or not. They reduced the original iPhone by $200.

Apple have plenty of margin on this phone. They may hide the drop with special offers ( on trade ins etc. ) but I bet they will drop the price. Before this time next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Is it odd that Ireland has been put on the list for the later iPhone release?
    Its a pity that we'll have to wait til sometime in December. Has a specific release date been mentioned for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Is it odd that Ireland has been put on the list for the later iPhone release?
    Its a pity that we'll have to wait til sometime in December. Has a specific release date been mentioned for us?

Ireland has always been in the second tier countries. No date outside the tier one. All they would say was by December more countries would get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

I heard somewhere that the 27th Sept. for Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

leemaree wrote: »

In line with last year

leemaree wrote: »

If that's true then it will probably be the end of October before you actually get it, if ordering from Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Aodhagan wrote: »
    Can't believe they got rid of the Black & Slate iPhone. The nicest iPhone they have ever built in my opinion. The new space grey colour looks like they've gone back to the 4 colour scheme.

the black & slate ip5 have increased in value as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Apple were never, ever, going to have a product associated with the word, Cheap. The c is all about colour and Johhny Ive's vision. Remember this is his first real shot at combining design of the iOS and the HW. That's the main selling point of the c, how the new colours of the plastic case and the new iOS will work together. Ive has taken a gamble on this, how it pays off remains to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

Apple will not be able to fly this cráp next year, the options are running out. The phone is the same since the 4, something has got to give at this stage. I won't be upgrading from the 5 to this 5Shíte.

Apple will not be able to fly this cráp next year, the options are running out. The phone is the same since the 4, something has got to give at this stage. I won't be upgrading from the 5 to this 5Shíte.

What crap exactly?

Are you one of those that equate screens size with innovation?

mad muffin wrote: »
    What crap exactly?

Are you one of those that equate screens size with innovation?

It's the same as they 5, they are the same apart from the finger thingy. I farted twice this morning, the first was more powerful than the last, but they still were the same.

It's the same as they 5, they are the same apart from the finger thingy. I farted twice this morning, the first was more powerful than the last, but they still were the same.

Ha. You have no clue, no clue at all if you think that they are the same and the only difference is the scanner.

Everything has changed except for the screen and the shape.

Ha. You have no clue, no clue at all if you think that they are the same and the only difference is the scanner.

Everything has changed except for the screen and the shape.

That's a totally delusional statement to make, IOS7 is what will make the 5 the same as the 5S.

• Advertisement

That's a totally delusional statement to make, IOS7 is what will make the 5 the same as the 5S.

You are the very definition of delusional. Or a troll, I'm yet to decide.

You are the very definition of delusional. Or a troll, I'm yet to decide.

Because I disagree with you?

The 5s is much improved over the 5- very debatable

Improved camera and flash.--WOW!!!!!!:confused:

Improved processor and M7 chip- Joe public won't notice the screen moving a few microns faster.

Improved battery, I call bull on this one. My 4 has better battery life than my 5.

Fingerprint scanner - Oh please take my money now.

The rest of it, power, faster chip, a few pixels here and there, and all the technical stuff, you and I can understand.. But it is the same phone to Joe public. What will WOW the ordinary user about this one to the last one? That's the question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Because I disagree with you?

The 5s is much improved over the 5- very debatable

Improved camera and flash.--WOW!!!!!!:confused:

Improved processor and M7 chip- Joe public won't notice the screen moving a few microns faster.

Improved battery, I call bull on this one. My 4 has better battery life than my 5.

Fingerprint scanner - Oh please take my money now.

The rest of it, power, faster chip, a few pixels here and there, and all the technical stuff, you and I can understand.. But it is the same phone to Joe public. What will WOW the ordinary user about this one to the last one? That's the question?

I think its less of what you say but more of how you say it. The 5s is different, whether the differences are worth it or not are totally subjective.

miralize wrote: »
    I think its less of what you say but more of how you say it. The 5s is different, whether the differences are worth it or not are totally subjective.

Yes the difference is the "S", to the ordinary user. Nothing more really. I may or may not upgrade, if I get it for free I will, but I wouldn't pay for it. It's the same as my 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

That 64-bit architecture + the M7 corpocessor opens the floor to so many questions. They could have skipped that in this model and nobody would have noticed. My guess is still Apple TV related, at least in part. This is a very big step.

iOS 8 is going to be very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

nightster1 wrote: »
    the black & slate ip5 have increased in value as a result

The black was the hardest to anodise and was so prone to chips and scratches that it was better discontinued. I have a black iPhone 5 that picked up so many scratches on the band around the phone that it looked pretty bad, even though I looked after it. Gold is apparently the easiest colour to anodise, which might be one of the reasons there's a new gold phone and the 5S has a silver band around the black model.

All that information came from Rene Richie on this week's MacBreak Weekly podcast, I don't know anything anodising myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

banquo wrote: »
    That 64-bit architecture + the M7 corpocessor opens the floor to so many questions. They could have skipped that in this model and nobody would have noticed. My guess is still Apple TV related, at least in part. This is a very big step.

M7 is there to do all the fitness/health data that will come off the iWatch.

speculation aside, this will make your iphone better at battery life when using it for runkeeper etc. the m7 takes the heat and the main processor can run at lower clock speeds and thus save battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

banquo wrote: »

The 64 bit architecture offers nothing whatsoever of benefit at this point, it clearly is looking to the future when phones will breach the 4gb of RAM that 32bit systems are limited to, but for now it's merely a fancy buzzword for bamboozling the non technoscenti masses.

The M7 indeed is an interesting idea, but at the end of the day phones aren't up to the job of tracking data for any but those at most couch potato end of athleticism. If it helps the obese majority feel better about themselves by telling them they burnt the 2500 calories their base metabolism burns on a daily basis as well as tracking the number of steps from car to office then it can do no harm I guess :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Yes the difference is the "S", to the ordinary user. Nothing more really. I may or may not upgrade, if I get it for free I will, but I wouldn't pay for it. It's the same as my 5.

So can I just ask. What to you is a phone pull of innovation and why? And sorry when I ask that I mean give me a model out there and tell me why it's innovative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Inquitus wrote: »
    The 64 bit architecture offers nothing whatsoever of benefit at this point, it clearly is looking to the future when phones will breach the 4gb of RAM that 32bit systems are limited to, but for now it's merely a fancy buzzword for bamboozling the non technoscenti masses.

The M7 indeed is an interesting idea, but at the end of the day phones aren't up to the job of tracking data for any but those at most couch potato end of athleticism. If it helps the obese majority feel better about themselves by telling them they burnt the 2500 calories their base metabolism burns on a daily basis as well as tracking the number of steps from car to office then it can do no harm I guess :p

100% agree! Which raises the question, why is it there? I'm oh so curious.

Advertisement