Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

So can I just ask. What to you is a phone pull of innovation and why? And sorry when I ask that I mean give me a model out there and tell me why it's innovative.

I would like a bigger screen, I've said that before. I don't understand why that option is not available. The iPhone itself is great, but it pisses me off when the "new" iphone is being trotted out as something new and different, when infact it's just an update. It's not a new innovative phone and I can't understand all this circle jerking over it?

Crazy stuff altogether. The masses will see no difference with this and the current 5, except for the "finger thingy". Most of the public are brain dead when it comes to this kind of thing, I suppose that's why the queues outside the apple store will stretch for miles to buy the latest phone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I would like a bigger screen, I've said that before. I don't understand why that option is not available. The iPhone itself is great, but it pisses me off when the "new" iphone is being trotted out as something new and different, when infact it's just an update. It's not a new innovative phone and I can't understand all this circle jerking over it?

Crazy stuff altogether. The masses will see no difference with this and the current 5, except for the "finger thingy". Most of the public are brain dead when it comes to this kind of thing, I suppose that's why the queues outside the apple store will stretch for miles to buy the latest phone.

But surely the bigger screen is not innovative either?
    I for one would not like to see the iPhone go down the same road as the tv sized S4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

So innovation is a a bigger screen? I really don't want to be carrying around a tablet in my pocket. The iPhone 5 is perfect size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I love that it's narrow enough to grip comfortably, but tall enough to fit loads and minimise obstruction from the hand.

kceire wrote: »
    But surely the bigger screen is not innovative either?
    I for one would not like to see the iPhone go down the same road as the tv sized S4.

You personally wouldn't, I would love that option. As another poster said, it's probably laying the groundwork for iOS 8 and apple TV.......and hopefully a big slim iPhone 6 that will interact with your TV etc... and hopefully a Tazer of some sort so I zap people with it.

But seriously, I don't understand why people get so defensive when I say that the 5 and the 5s are the same?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You personally wouldn't, I would love that option. As another poster said, it's probably laying the groundwork for iOS 8 and apple TV.......and hopefully a big slim iPhone 6 that will interact with your TV etc... and hopefully a Tazer of some sort so I zap people with it.

But seriously, I don't understand why people get so defensive when I say that the 5 and the 5s are the same?!

I don't know about the 5S as I have t looked at it in depth. But it's no surprise that its similar. You just have to to view the 3G to 3GS transition, 4 to 4s etc

I have no problem with different opinions on the phone, that's what these forums are for, but to call it non innovative because it doesn't suite your own personal opinion is wrong, in my opinion of course.

I have android and iOS, I have a galaxy 3 tab for work and an iPad for personal use, and I've the galaxy for work too, but IP5 for personal so I'm used to both sides of the fence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

banquo wrote: »
    100% agree! Which raises the question, why is it there? I'm oh so curious.

Indeed, I don't think the iPhone or iPad will trouble the 4gb boundaries any time soon, so this transition to 64bit architecture while certainly required at some point in the future, was not needed now for any of the existing product portfolio. I am not sure if the idea of the Apple TV has legs, but its a possibility I guess, or maybe something else?

P.S. Re an Apple TV - It is something that might well fit well with the US model for content distribution but is certainly not a product that will likely do well anywhere else, which is why I don't think the idea has legs at least currently.

kceire wrote: »
    I don't know about the 5S as I have t looked at it in depth. But it's no surprise that its similar. You just have to to view the 3G to 3GS transition, 4 to 4s etc

I have no problem with different opinions on the phone, that's what these forums are for, but to call it non innovative because it doesn't suite your own personal opinion is wrong, in my opinion of course.

I have android and iOS, I have a galaxy 3 tab for work and an iPad for personal use, and I've the galaxy for work too, but IP5 for personal so I'm used to both sides of the fence.

This what they should be pimping with the iPhone 6 :D Sorry about the size folks.

271730.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

This what they should be pimping with the iPhone 6 :D Sorry about the size folks.

271730.jpg

eww.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

banquo wrote: »
    That 64-bit architecture + the M7 corpocessor opens the floor to so many questions. They could have skipped that in this model and nobody would have noticed. My guess is still Apple TV related, at least in part. This is a very big step.

iOS 8 is going to be very interesting.

The M7 chip looks like it may be watch related.

64 bits is marketing.

• Advertisement

The real indications for a TV is the game controller class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The M7 chip looks like it may be watch related.

64 bits is marketing.

It's not marketing. 64bit processors are quicker at doing calculations. They revolutionised pc software 5-8 years ago,
    They'll do the same in phones.

Next flagship phone Samsung comes out with will be 64bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It's not marketing. 64bit processors are quicker at doing calculations. They revolutionised pc software 5-8 years ago,

There's no point. It's all marketing, not innovating, going to fail doom and gloom to them, once there is no large screen and significantly different shape.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

mad muffin wrote: »
    There's no point. It's all marketing, not innovating, going to fail doom and gloom to them, once there is no large screen and significantly different shape.

perception is everything, it's the basis of the iphone's appeal :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

perception is everything, it's the basis of the iphone's appeal :P

I've tried the rest and I keep coming back to the best.

Large screens and 8 cores with many gigs of ram don't appeal to me, when the user experience and customer service is sub par.

mad muffin wrote: »

Well I want an iPhone the shape of a banana with a screen on each side of it, with 25 aerials on it......:pac:

No seriously you are right, I've tried the rest too and I keep coming back, the after care support is top notch. Just gimmie a bigger screen.

That's marketing too. 64 bit processors are faster at doing *some* calculations provided the values being added are greater than 4G or add up to a value greater than 4G. With floats and doubles you can get more precision. However most of that floating point work is best done in the GPU anyway. Not just games ( but definitely games).

The difference is statistically insignificant for most applications. Two 32 or 64 CPUs running at the same clock speed will show no gains for most apps. However the memory will be greater because each pointer will take twice as much space. Apple actually warns against this in the transition to 64 bit docs. Use fewer pointers.

Well I want an iPhone the shape of a banana with a screen on each side of it, with 25 aerials on it......:pac:

No seriously you are right, I've tried the rest too and I keep coming back, the after care support is top notch. Just gimmie a bigger screen.

I think the 5C should be cheaper but the iPhone is the better machine and iOS the better OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

It means nothing now, but starting with 64bit means that when the time comes, there wont be a limit that 32bit OS's have. Just means that developers can be prepared for the future when phones have more than 4GB of memory.

I think the 5C should be cheaper but the iPhone is the better machine and iOS the better OS.

The 5C is a joke for that price, I find the iPhone is far superior than the Galaxy S4. I just want a big screen, maybe not the same as Galaxy S.

Imagine for one moment there was an option of an iPhone with a ~4.5" screen, now that would be lovely. Not quite Galaxy S but just nice, especially now that the 5 has the long screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Compare the 5C with the 5. Everything in he world should be cheaper. But that's not how the world works. Quality demands a highe price and the fact that Apple sell every iPhone they can make, and more, means they can charge the higher price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Just gimmie a bigger screen.
    Oh god no. Get a pair of glasses :D

Piliger wrote: »
    Compare the 5C with the 5. Everything in he world should be cheaper. But that's not how the world works. Quality demands a highe price and the fact that Apple sell every iPhone they can make, and more, means they can charge the higher price.

Maybe. And that's ok. If you are not also involved in a platform war. Which they are....

Still room to reduce prices - which is good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They should just add phone capabilty to the iPad Mini and be done with it. Then everyone will be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

They should just add phone capabilty to the iPad Mini and be done with it. Then everyone will be happy.

Ah man, that screen is way too big!! Make it smaller..............

They kinda have.

EDIT: I mean FaceTime audio. No camera needed. Works over 3G.

People are not making enough about that. The other thing in iOS 7 which could be huge is Ibeacons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Piliger wrote: »
    Oh god no. Get a pair of glasses :D

The next gen iPhone is definitely going to be a bigger screen size, even if just 4.3".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Really not sure I want a bigger screen. The 5s is my natural upgrade point now that my iPhone 4 is reaching retirement age and I'm glad it isn't a total redesign with a Samsung/Nexus sized monster screen.

64-bit shouldn't be downplayed. It was bound to happen eventually and it has allowed Apple to tailor the instruction set better, instructions will all be the same size (32-bit) and generally make a processor more suited to a phone today than one running 32-bit architecture and instruction sets not designed with today's uses in mind. Developers will be very happy with the change and in time users will see plenty of benefit too.

64-bit, if a possessor was absolutely identical to another one that was 32-bit, would actually be slower given instructions and the like get bigger too but Apple will obviously be improving cache, clock speed, cores, the pipeline, whatever, so the new chip will be faster overall.

The iPhone screen is too long, it needs width.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

The iPhone screen is too long, it needs width.

Agreed. It could be another icon wide. Or just bigger icons would be nice with more animation. Eg clock that tells current time.

Advertisement