Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

mad muffin wrote: »
    Yeah :rolleyes:

When the time comes ill be selling the 5s and getting the 6. Except ill be eligible for an upgrade that year. Will cost me even less. ;)

Let's hope the 6 is not another 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Let's hope the 6 is not another 5.

And if it has a 4 inch screen, in your mind it probably would be.

I'm fine with a 4 inch screen. I've been using an Ativ S for the last month and the screen size can be a pain in the rear.

And if it has a 4 inch screen, in your mind it probably would be.

I'm fine with a 4 inch screen. I've been using an Ativ S for the last month and the screen size can be a pain in the rear.

So tell me this? What if apple did come out with a bigger phone next year along with a standard, what would you be saying then?

eggy81 wrote: »
    What will the average consumer notice different about using this phone over the 5 apart from the finger print id.

Nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

So tell me this? What if apple did come out with a bigger phone next year along with a standard, what would you be saying then?

I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

It IS the same phone. End of.

So tell me this, since your so insistent that both phones are the same, and I assume your talking about an iPhone 5 vs. 5S, what would make it a new phone that is worth upgrading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

I imagine you and the other fanboys will be jumping up and down saying how innovative the new phone is. With its extra colum of icons.

I would like a bigger screen. I don't think it would be innovative. Just usefull. It would make writing on boards easier for one.

DubDJ wrote: »
    So tell me this, since your so insistent that both phones are the same, and I assume your talking about an iPhone 5 vs. 5S, what would make it a new phone that is worth upgrading?

A phone that hasn't been invented yet with lots of new stuff.;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

what would make it a new phone that is worth upgrading?

Isn't it the manufacturers job to make their product more appealing :pac:

I always find these how would YOU make it better questions more of a ploy to get someone to shut up rather than opening the floor up for further discussion, but that's more an observation based on past events than fact so my apologies if you actually did want to have a discussion with funt cucker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

And this goes on for 36 pages?

• Advertisement

Isn't it the manufacturers job to make their product more appealing :pac:

I always find these how would YOU make it better questions more of a ploy to get someone to shut up rather than opening the ground up for further discussion, but that's more an observation based on past events than fact so my apologies if you actually did want to have a discussion with funt cucker.

No, I understand its usually the big tech companies that say these are the things you want to buy. So buy them. But funt cucker is just so adamant that the 5S is the same as the 5 and I'm just curious to what they'd actually have to do to get his attention and money. Bigger screen is obviously on his wish list but if the 5S was exactly the same with a bigger screen I don't see how that's 'new' compared to the 5S with all the internal improvements.

I consider it next to the iPhones probably biggest contender, the S4. That wasn't much of a difference from the S3 and I didn't see any of the backlash the 5S gets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I wouldn't upgrade.
    Bigger screen is a PITA for me. Absolutely no use for it at all.

If i want to watch something on a bigger screen il use the galaxy 2 tab or my laptop. No need to have a tablet in my pocket all day.

What will the average consumer notice different about using this phone over the 5 apart from the finger print id.

What would the average consumer notice different between the S3 and S4?

kceire wrote: »

Probably nothing. The whole point is this "amazement" at a phone that has nothing more than a finger reader. It's madness.

Probably nothing. The whole point is this "amazement" at a phone that has nothing more than a finger reader. It's madness.

Is anyone being amazed? Its an iterative update, its not groundbreaking, but its certainly non nothing.

miralize wrote: »
    Is anyone being amazed? Its an iterative update, its not groundbreaking, but its certainly non nothing.

Crowds gathering outside apple stores around the world would tell me that people are "amazed" at this 5s, just google it, I'm not going to bother posting images.

Maybe I over analyze everything, it's part of my job I suppose. I think I'll just leave it be. To me it's just an iPhone 5 with a finger scanner, I know the general population will not notice the 100 micron faster screen etc.... but whatever, it sells and that's the bottom line.

Crowds gathering outside apple stores around the world would tell me that people are "amazed" at this 5s, just google it, I'm not going to bother posting images.

Maybe I over analyze everything, it's part of my job I suppose. I think I'll just leave it be. To me it's just an iPhone 5 with a finger scanner, I know the general population will not notice the 100 micron faster screen etc.... but whatever, it sells and that's the bottom line.

Isint that the whole point? Hence the name 5S?

We all know the major changes come in the full numbers so I expect the 6 to be a bigger change.

It's an update with a few cool features. Whether or not its worth buying is dependent on what you currently have.

iPhone 4S and below users will notice a mega improvement, iPhone 5 owners not so much.

Now, android users will be blown away by the the 5S ;) ..... :D

Isint that the whole point? Hence the name 5S?

We all know the major changes come in the full numbers so I expect the 6 to be a bigger change.

It's an update with a few cool features. Whether or not its worth buying is dependent on what you currently have.

iPhone 4S and below users will notice a mega improvement, iPhone 5 owners not so much.

Now, android users will be blown away by the the 5S ;) ..... :D

G'wan I'll let you have that one:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Nothing I'd guess. Haven't used android since the desire hd. This constant yabbering from both sides about innovation is boring. Just call it what it is on both sides. A tiny update in tech to take advantage of all the fools and their cash.

Nothing I'd guess. Haven't used android since the desire hd. This constant yabbering from both sides about innovation is boring. Just call it what it is on both sides. A tiny update in tech to take advantage of all the fools and their cash.

Absolutely, queues of mad feckers handing over 800 yo, yo's for a fingerprint scanner? Ya, off ya go then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Well I'm getting a 5S. Last year I was wondering why they weren't upgarding enough and I was mad set on getting an S4, but since the HTC One turned out to be a far superior phone in every way I was going for that.
    Since then I've just noticed all phones have plateaued, these massive power upgrades don't really get used day-to-day and it's just features for feature's sake, so really when I hear the S4 has 8 cores I don't even care anymore because it's overkill in a phone.

I've switched back again, I'm not biased towards Android or Apple, but to me I just like the polish of iOS and the improvements and consistent high quality. I don't upgrade every year, I think it's pointless for any phone, but since I'm coming from an iPhone 4, the upgrade will be big and welcomed.

Why does this shite come up every year about which phone is best? Who actually gives a flying fuck what anyone else buys? You're a sad individual if you do.
    Do what you like and mind your own business. I like Apple products and I like certain Android phones like the HTC One, it's all up to what you like, what works for you, and what you want in a phone. That's it.

Absolutely, queues of mad feckers handing over 800 yo, yo's for a fingerprint scanner? Ya, off ya go then.

A lot of these people could be first time iPhone users. Or upgrading their 3GS to a 5S. For me in either position I'd be highly impressed by the 5S. I wouldn't be looking at past releases and saying ahh well it's not much of a difference over the 5 so I won't buy it. A lot of people queue up for the buzz of it, same for book launches and game launches. There's probably not that many iPhone 5 owners in the queue. And if so they could be tech fans who buy all the latest devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

A lot of these people could be first time iPhone users. Or upgrading their 3GS to a 5S. For me in either position I'd be highly impressed by the 5S. I wouldn't be looking at past releases and saying ahh well it's not much of a difference over the 5 so I won't buy it. A lot of people queue up for the buzz of it, same for book launches and game launches. There's probably not that many iPhone 5 owners in the queue. And if so they could be tech fans who buy all the latest devices.

Modern warfare 2 was a game worth queing up for, the 5s I isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Modern warfare 2 was a game worth queing up for, the 5s I isn't.
    lol now you're just trolling. the COD games are still based off the Quake 3 engine a game that was released in the late nineties. COD games are released every year and don't change at all just like the iPhone*.

* in your opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I've noticed with this thread that there are certain people here really keen on buying the next iPhone, and some who are clearly not. I'm just wondering, after they've made their point on why they're not buying a 5S, why must they go on and on making the same argument and constantly commenting the same point, over and over and over and over and ov........ Surely once is enough. Anywaaayyy....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I've noticed with this thread that there are certain people here really keen on buying the next iPhone, and some who are clearly not. I'm just wondering, after they've made their point on why they're not buying a 5S, why must they go on and on making the same argument and constantly commenting the same point, over and over and over and over and ov........ Surely once is enough. Anywaaayyy....

Apparently, if you say it often enough, Siri gives in and admits "You got me, this 5S is exactly the same as the 5".

Ahh here we go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

The 5s imo makes no sense what so ever if you have the 5, simply just on a price point. If money is no problem, then on the hardware side, I think you would notice no difference what so ever.

Coming from a 4 or 4s, ye of course there will be a difference but someone in that situation must remember that they will also probably want the Iphone 6 because of the bigger changes that brings.

Apple I think should drop the S series. Instead have the 6 with the smaller screen. Apples users are happy.
    Then for the S series bring out a bigger screen with small updates on the 6.

With phones not having much more to offer in innovation, I think the S series makes not much sense.

But things like the always on feature that the Moto X has already introduced will probably be one of the things on the Iphone 6, which is disappointing from the stand point the Apple seems to react now instead of being proactive.

• Advertisement

I like you "funt cucker", you are so passionate about your opinion, even though the examples you give to back up said opinions are wrong. You're never going to change everyones opinions. But please, let this discussion die.

Advertisement