Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

miralize wrote: »
    I like you "funt cucker", you are so passionate about your opinion, even though the examples you give to back up very said opinions are wrong. You're never going to change everyones opinions. But please, let this discussion die.

I'm an engineer in R&D, so I analyse a bit too much. Everything I do is data driven, so that's why I have the opinions I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Atleast it is actually a conversation about the 5C and 5S phones instead of the usual iOS and Android war.

Breaking the 5S down on what people usually look for in a phone upgrade:

Things that haven't changed;
    Design (Although colours have changed slightly)
    Screen size/resolution

Thing that have changed;
    Processor
    Camera
    Possibily RAM (been hinted on some sites due to Apples expected speed increases)
    Software - iOS7
    Battery (25 hours extra standby)

New tech added that would also be consiered improvents - Fingerprint sensor, 64bit processor (although not much use for now) & M7 co-processor

That's why I think most people are influenced over design changes rather than internals. Regardless of what the average consumer thinks, the 5S is different to the 5, the above lost showing exactly what way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

DubDJ wrote: »
    That's why I think most people are influenced over design changes rather than internals. Regardless of what the average consumer thinks, the 5S is different to the 5, the above lost showing exactly what way.
    A lot of people are myopic and only focus on the aspect of the phone that they care about most, not able to look at the wider view of the phone as a whole. Thus you get the people who are obsessed about screen size, or overall design, or NFC, etc.
    The S versions are never a huge transformation, so knocking it for not being a major change is vacuous. Like the 4S after the 4, though, the changes are significant and technologically important. The camera change in the 5S alone is a huge development, and the chip improvement is doubling speeds. Same goes for the fingerprint function.

Atleast it is actually a conversation about the 5C and 5S phones instead of the usual iOS and Android war.

Screen size/resolution

Thing that have changed;
    Processor
    Camera
    Possibily RAM (been hinted on some sites due to Apples expected speed increases)
    Software - iOS7

New tech added that would also be consiered improvents - Fingerprint sensor, 64bit processor (although not much use for now) & M7 co-processor

Too the happy head on the street, there's no difference, the finger scan is the selling point for the queues of idiots around the world. Personal opinion obviously.

Screen size/resolution

Thing that have changed;
    Processor
    Camera
    Software - iOS7

Too the happy head on the street, there's no difference, the finger scan is the selling point for the queues of idiots around the world. Personal opinion obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Sure the same can be said about the S4 as well. I seriously don't get the issue. Why would you be upgrading your phone annually anyway? All those improvements stack over 2-3 years until your next upgrade.

Why is this such a big deal to you?

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Sure the same can be said about the S4 as well. I seriously don't get the issue. Why would you be upgrading your phone annually anyway? All those improvements stack over 2-3 years until your next upgrade.

Why is this such a big deal to you?

Because it's being pimped as a brand new innovation phone, when it's just a 5 with a finger scanner. That boils my píss. Not worth 800 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The real problem facing smartphone manufacturers is where to go next. Since the original iPhone, the problem has always been making phones good enough to replicate the ease and ability of the desktop experience i.e. how well does it do Facebook, surfing the web, maps etc. And then some cool things that work much better on mobile - voice search, reminders, etc.

So the abilities of the devices have expanded to meet the previously existing desktop-only services offered by other companies (Facebook, Netflix). And now they're reduced in the latest generation to semi-gimmicky things that make good demo but are a clear indicator of ''we couldn't find any more obvious problems to solve'' - the Galaxy S4's eye-tracking handy-wavy features are a prime example of this.

This is why we're seeing Apple upgrade to 64-bit, which is much harder work than is worth it to make a headline. Either they're getting future-proof because, hey, better to get good at it now. Or else they have some pretty powerful features coming down the road.

Because it's being pimped as a brand new innovation phone, when it's just a 5 with a finger scanner.

Says who? I just saw it as the new iPhone, I never hear any of this shouting of innovation because none of us are saying it. Though I find that scanner really handy because I'm always on and off my phone. That's a nice feature to have.

It's improved in nearly all ways from speed to camera. Jesus, Samsung did the exact same thing. Better camera, speed and other things. That's what they all do, there's zero innovation from any of them. Who cares, get over it ffs. What do you want from them?

Says who? I just saw it as the new iPhone, I never hear any of this shouting of innovation because none of us are saying it. Though I find that scanner really handy because I'm always on and off my phone. That's a nice feature to have.

It's improved in nearly all ways from speed to camera. Jesus, Samsung did the exact same thing. Better camera, speed and other things. That's what they all do, there's zero innovation from any of them. Who cares, get over it ffs. What do you want from them?

Jaysus, watch the apple release video, plenty of "innovation" in there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's like the idiots that sat on the quays today watching the underside of air planes. You get a better view if planes at the air port but that didn't stop the idiots as it was their choice to go in as they thought it worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I'm an engineer in R&D, so I analyse a bit too much. Everything I do is data driven, so that's why I have the opinions I have.

Is that "Ridicule&Deride"? :D

culabula wrote: »
    Is that "Ridicule&Deride"? :D

No, technology sector

kceire wrote: »
    It's like the idiots that sat on the quays today watching the underside of air planes. You get a better view if planes at the air port but that didn't stop the idiots as it was their choice to go in as they thought it worthwhile.

You see I have an interest in aviation? Post trawling?

Because it's being pimped as a brand new innovation phone, when it's just a 5 with a finger scanner. That boils my píss. Not worth 800 quid.

No, it isn't.

No technology sector

No technology sector? Data can't be much use, then.

No technology sector? Data can't be much use, then.

??? Seriously? Do you want the full intro to JMP, mini tab and brio query ?

EDIT, forgot the comma, I see your joke now. :)

??? Seriously? Do you want the full intro to JMP, mini tab and brio query ?

No, I simply want a comma.

No, I simply want a comma.

Done, have a read back.

See this is where you lost my interest, firstly it's €699 for the 5S, secondly why would somebody be an idiot for buying a really top of the range phone with great features, an excellent reputation for build quality and design, as well as impressive benchmarks and actual real world usage. All packaged with one of the best customer service teams in the world.

It's a whole package you buy into, iOS is also a solid OS and the Apple Ecosystem is one of the most vast and expanding in the mobile market.

But anybody who would want to pay for that is an idiot in your opinion? I personally think somebody would be mad to buy a 5C, as the extra €100 gets you so much more, but I wouldn't consider them an idiot. There could be more to it that sways the decision.

• Advertisement

Jaysus, watch the apple release video, plenty of "innovation" in there.

Is that all you're bitching about? I saw a bit of Samsung's thing and they went on and on about their eye tracking tech. It didn't bother me because I don't care, it's their job to talk up their product, I get that even if I've no interest in what feature they're trying to sell me.

The question is why did you care so much if you're not even going to be buying one? Seems like a serious waste of time to me.

Is that all you're bitching about? I saw a bit of Samsung's thing and they went on and on about their eye tracking tech. It didn't bother me because I don't care, it's their job to talk up their product, I get that even if I've no interest in what feature they're trying to sell me.

The question is why did you care so much if you're not even going to be buying one? Seems like a serious waste of time to me.

Not into Samsung, iPhone to the core, I have a 5, there is no real advantage to the 5s.

Not into Samsung, iPhone to the core, I have a 5, there is no real advantage to the 5s.

Obviously, because there's no point upgrading every year. We all agree on that, the benefits come 2-3 years after, like all other phones. I think you're making up imaginary problems, unless you are the type to upgrade every single year.

Obviously, because there's no point upgrading every year. We all agree on that, the benefits come 2-3 years after, like all other phones. I think you're making up imaginary problems, unless you are the type to upgrade every single year.

Nope, my problem is these fanboys queuing up for something that really isn't "new" it's just an iphone 5 with a finger scanner?!? WOW!!!!! Here's €800 dolllerdoos!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

But why does it concern you what some people do with their own money? :confused:

Because it's stupid. It's not a new phone.

OK, enough.

Keep it civil and get back on topic.

The present tone of this thread is well out of order.

Any more of this and this thread will be closed.

Nope, my problem is these fanboys queuing up for something that really isn't "new" it's just an iphone 5 with a finger scanner?!? WOW!!!!! Here's €800 dolllerdoos!!!!

My cousin wants to buy an iPhone, would you suggest she holds off and doesn't bother buying the iPhone 5 because it's something that "really isn't "new" it's just an iphone 5 with a finger scanner"? For some people coming from older devices than the 5 or completely different platforms it is worth queuing up and buying. Why can't you understand that? Oh and again it's expected to be €699 when it's available over here, not €800!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Because it's stupid. It's not a new phone.

Thats just your opinion though...Just because you don't want to buy one doesn't mean the rest of us can't. Why are you even posting here if all your doing is complaining, just go back to the android forum!
    I'm counting down the days until I can get a 5s so I can throw my s***heap galaxy S3 in the bin. I took a gamble on an android phone and regretted it from day 1.

Any news on when these will be available to buy from the Apple online store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Thats just your opinion though...Just because you don't want to buy one doesn't mean the rest of us can't. Why are you even posting here if all your doing is complaining, just go back to the android forum!
    I'm counting down the days until I can get a 5s so I can throw my s***heap galaxy S3 in the bin. I took a gamble on an android phone and regretted it from day 1.

Any news on when these will be available to buy from the Apple online store?

UK on Friday. Ireland before the end of Dec 2013

Advertisement