Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

No network is stupid enough not to sell something as popular as a new iPhone will no doubt be.

Actually, on the contrary, I believe that the two biggest networks in the world have refused to sell the iPhone due to the demands placed on them by Apple, the high marketing costs, the subsidies and the closed ecosystem and restrictive contracts policy applied to these phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Actually, on the contrary, I believe that the two biggest networks in the world have refused to sell the iPhone due to the demands placed on them by Apple, the high marketing costs, the subsidies and the closed ecosystem and restrictive contracts policy applied to these phones.

Sorry I thought it was obvious we were talking about Ireland and the networks who will no doubt sell it here seeing as how they already do.

And FYI

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/08/china-mobile-reportedly-keen-on-selling-iphone-on-their-network/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Pm1e wrote: »
    Yes, my points exactly. Therefore it is not nonsense to assume there may already be word on who has it outside of assumptions.

I was correcting you when you said O2 had the iPhone weeks before the others. They didn't, it was over a year.

All major networks here will have them launch day like they did with the 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭emo72

any updates, any leaks? getting close now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

All rumours so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Most of the rumours wot I read say the 5S and cheapo 5C in September, but the odd report from some established news sites still say the big screened 6 is coming in September.

Most other rumours wot I read say the 6 is early 2014.

I want the bigger screen (not just longer as in the 5) and like millions of other my 4S 2 year contract is up next month, I dont want the 5S with the rumoured big screened 6 looming next year!

Apple know that the millions of apple minions will upgrade in Sep - even if it is "only" a 5S!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

ozmo wrote: »

It's just case manufacturers gambling on the design/dimensions listed on rumour sites so they can be the first to market. Happens every year. They have no inside information.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pfurey101 wrote: »
    Most of the rumours wot I read say the 5S and cheapo 5C in September, but the odd report from some established news sites still say the big screened 6 is coming in September.

I want the bigger screen (not just longer as in the 5) and like millions of other my 4S 2 year contract is up next month, I dont want the 5S with the rumoured big screened 6 looming next year!

The rumour sites say the same thing every year about the iPhone and the iPad. "Oh there's another upgrade coming in a few months." The only time it ever happened was with the iPad with lightning bolt connector and nobody predicted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Apple know that the millions of apple minions will upgrade in Sep - even if it is "only" a 5S!

Not a chance will they make the iPhone 6 a massive device.

They may push it to a 4.3" someday, but not this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Not a chance will they make the iPhone 6 a massive device.

They may push it to a 4.3" someday, but not this year.

Why not even S4 size?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

because it will look stupid.

also they spent a lot of time saying that wide screens on smart phones don't make sense as the average human thumb can't reach the whole width of the screen, in fairness they're right.

Why not even S4 size?

It's not Apples style.

Apple has always been about neatness, slick styling and minimalistic design.

Whilst I like the S4, an iPhone of that size would seem way out of place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Hey, does anyone else want a bigger screen for the 5s? I still think that the screen is too small, it should be 4.7 inch IMO

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Kagawa wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone else want a bigger screen for the 5s? I still think that the screen is too small, it should be 4.7 inch IMO

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

ya i would love to see a slightly bigger screen.Its a beautiful display but it does feel small at times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The S3 S4 are that size purely because Samsung couldn't get the horsepower they needed for a dreadfully inefficient OS into a device any smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

banquo wrote: »
    The S3 S4 are that size purely because Samsung couldn't get the horsepower they needed for a dreadfully inefficient OS into a device any smaller.

No, there that size because people want them that size otherwise they would not be selling. There screens are fantastic. Watch a video on a 5" screen with 440 ppi then go back to the little 4" screen with 320 ppi and see which one you prefer while also keeping 200 euro in your pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

No, there that size because people want them that size otherwise they would not be selling. There screens are fantastic. Watch a video on a 5" screen with 440 ppi then go back to the little 4" screen with 320 ppi and see which one you prefer while also keeping 200 euro in your pocket.

What new phone with a 5" screen is 200 cheaper than the iPhone 5?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'd rather watch a movie through a 60" 1080p screen than a 5" 1080p screen but hey each to their own :pac:

"people want them that size otherwise they would not be selling" I'll give you that, same can be said for the smaller more 16:9 screen of the iPhone 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

guil wrote: »
    What new phone with a 5" screen is 200 cheaper than the iPhone 5?

32 gb htc one is £400 on Amazon, iPhone 5 32 gb is £619.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

What a ridiculous comment, you think Samsung are making larger devices every year to put more horsepower in there phones to run android?

There making bigger devices because they actually try and make new devices that consumers want, unlike Apple who only care about small upgrades to keep getting money from there loyal fans each year and milking them for everything they can get.

Nope, true story. Source: Samsung testimony during the Apple V Samsung patent suit.

Some people prefer the bigger screens of the S3 & S4, more power to 'em. They're beautiful and bright and glorious. Personally it's the OS I care about, so screen size not a big deal for me. But that's why the S3 had a big screen initially.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No, if Apple go bigger i will stick with the 5 and not upgrade.

I'm sorry, but that's just complete nonsense.

Android has nothing to do with the size of the phone, after all, the ATIV S is the same size as the S3.

Most Android OEM's prefer to make larger screens because that's their niche in the market, unlike Apple who prefer to make smaller screens on phones.

It's highly unlikely they'd ever go beyond 4.3" on a phone, especially after Steve Jobs declared that 3.5" was the ideal size for a screen.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but that's just complete nonsense.

Android has nothing to do with the size of the phone, after all, the ATIV S is the same size as the S3.

Most Android OEM's prefer to make larger screens because that's their niche in the market, unlike Apple who prefer to make smaller screens on phones.

It's highly unlikely they'd ever go beyond 4.3" on a phone, especially after Steve Jobs declared that 3.5" was the ideal size for a screen.

Apologies, I should clarify. Android isn't madly inefficient at all. It's the extra overlays, graphics and tweaks that are added to Android by the manufacturer.

Apologies, I should clarify. Android isn't madly inefficient at all. It's the extra overlays, graphics and tweaks that are added to Android by the manufacturer.

Still nonsense I'm afraid.

Huaweii, HTC, Sony, Alcatel, Motorola and more all make their phones from 4.8" to 5" using Android too.

Hell, even the S4 Mini is only a 4.3" screen but has very similar specs to the S3, and it has even more graphical tweaks.

I'm sorry, but your claim is just wrong.

It's also very offtopic from iPhones :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

This has gone a bit off topic! I'm hoping the 5c will be a good enough device at a more realistic price point so I can get one for development!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

My body is ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Why are the people that seem to hate Apple/iPhone products posting in this thread?

You like your Samsung - that's fine - but nobody in this thread wants to hear your pointless arguments about how amazing it is and how superior it is to the iPhone :rolleyes:

Advertisement