Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

The main profit center and TAX haven for Apple bottom of the queue for new products.

Understandable really since we have to assume it only accountants, financial wizards and support people present in Ireland, the marketing and sales in the UK??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

The main profit center and TAX haven for Apple bottom of the queue for new products.

Understandable really since we have to assume it only accountants, financial wizards and support people present in Ireland, the marketing and sales in the UK??

We won't be bottom of the queue, usually only a couple of weeks after the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Seriously, what has Apple's totally legal tax structure got to do with their distribution channels?

You really just come across as very bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Last year Ireland got the iPhone 5 only 1 week after the official tier 1 release. I've a feeling it'll be a bit later this year, I've a feeling a lot of resources will be heading to China this year and the Irish release will be a lot longer that 1 week. Maybe a month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Not that big a deal I suppose for the large majority of customers but must be a pain for the early adopters trying to get a hold of one being forced to wait so long. I've always thought it was counter intuitive to delay the release of products in different geographic regions, I mean, you have people ready and willing to spend €500+ for a phone/console/whatever and you make them wait. Makes no sense to me but I know little to nothing of logistics etc so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Jaysus, watch the apple release video, plenty of "innovation" in there.
    Yet again people don't grasp the meanings of innovation and invention. The iPhone wasn't an invention. But it was a huge innovation. So is the fingerprint scanner, a huge huge innovation. Apple, and others too, are bringing us incredible innovation under the hood every year - changes that make the batteries last yet long, the chips talk faster, the cameras take better photos and faster. There is a constant stream of amazing innovation coming through these devices. Just because some people don't really understand what goes in to these devices doesn't make it so.

Not that big a deal I suppose for the large majority of customers but must be a pain for the early adopters trying to get a hold of one being forced to wait so long. I've always thought it was counter intuitive to delay the release of products in different geographic regions, I mean, you have people ready and willing to spend €500+ for a phone/console/whatever and you make them wait. Makes no sense to me but I know little to nothing of logistics etc so...

Getting the balance between how much stock you manufacture, and when, and how many you can sell is a extremely complex balance and it makes millions of dollars of difference in profits. Cook is a master supply chain expert and it was his work, under Jobs, that produced enormous advances in cost reductions and margin increases. The whole world is gagging for the new iPhone and to supply everyone at the same time would require astronomical stocks, which would carry the risk of being left with unsold product. Producing excess stock also ties up enormous amounts of capital that can be used elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭funt cucker

Thats just your opinion though...Just because you don't want to buy one doesn't mean the rest of us can't. Why are you even posting here if all your doing is complaining, just go back to the android forum!
    I'm counting down the days until I can get a 5s so I can throw my s***heap galaxy S3 in the bin. I took a gamble on an android phone and regretted it from day 1.

Any news on when these will be available to buy from the Apple online store?

Not into Samsung, iPhone to the core, I have a 5, there is no real advantage to the 5s. I'm done with this argument, roll on the iPhone 6. Hope I haven't made too many enemies in this forum. :)

Respect to all aspects to other posters views on the 5s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I was considering going from a 4s to a 5s but I will wait for the 6 and see what happens. Might spring for a new iPad mini tho when it is released.

Piliger wrote: »
    Yet again people don't grasp the meanings of innovation.

I do understand "innovation" I just don't think this phone is worth it.

Personal opinion, my 5 can do the same except fingerprint scan, screaming ladies will buy it, but I won't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I do understand "innovation" I just don't think this phone is worth it.

Personal opinion, my 5 can do the same except fingerprint scan, screaming ladies will buy it, but I won't.

Did you watch the keynote? Go watch it then come back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Have a 3GS and will quite happily pick up the 5c free on contract or the 5s if it's not silly money

5c looks like it's free for most americian carriers now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Hey...I'm no screaming lady. I get where youre coming from. I think we all do.

Personal opinion, my 5 can do the same except fingerprint scan,

My 5 can do everything my 4s could do bar showing more stuff, same goes for my 4s which could do the same as the 4 bar Siri. If it couldn't do what its predecessor could, it wouldn't be an iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Huge improvement in the camera as well, especially for sequence shots

mad muffin wrote: »

No point, I saw it and it doesn't impress me in the slightest.

No point, I saw it and it doesn't impress me in the slightest.

Daniel Eran Dilger is by far the best writer on Apple related issues out there. This is is current article on the A7, Apple and Samsung, 5S and C.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

had not really thought much about the 5S but got a phonecall from my insurance who are about to replace my iphone 5 32gb which was stolen over the summer. question is, do i sell it before opening and wait for the 5s or just be happy with what I have?

Unlocked Black 32gb iPhone 5 would make a pretty hefty contribution to a 5S

kaerobe wrote: »
    had not really thought much about the 5S but got a phonecall from my insurance who are about to replace my iphone 5 32gb which was stolen over the summer. question is, do i sell it before opening and wait for the 5s or just be happy with what I have?

Unlocked Black 32gb iPhone 5 would make a pretty hefty contribution to a 5S

If it was me I would sell it. Which it what I did with my 5.

If it was me I would sell it. Which it what I did with my 5.

ballpark figure for selling?

I am currently using my Galaxy S Duos which is driving me mad, really miss my iPhone (for music). Dont know if I can wait weeks.

• Advertisement

ballpark figure for selling?

I am currently using my Galaxy S Duos which is driving me mad, really miss my iPhone (for music). Dont know if I can wait weeks.

Brand new, unlocked? Box still in the plastic? I cant see why you couldn't get €500-€600 for it.

Brand new, unlocked? Box still in the plastic? I cant see why you couldn't get €500-€600 for it.

well its coming from the insurer this week so i am thinking it will be new in box. will investigate prices. would like an upgrade but dont want to wait months for availability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

well its coming from the insurer this week so i am thinking it will be new in box. will investigate prices. would like an upgrade but dont want to wait months for availability.

Usually when you get one off the insurance, you wont get any box, charger, headphones etc.... Just the phone itself in a random box. Which will most likely be a refurb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Usually when you get one off the insurance, you wont get any box, charger, headphones etc.... Just the phone itself in a random box. Which will most likely be a refurb.

Ya when I sent my iPhone back too apple I was sent a little box too just put the phone in.. I was then sent a "new" iPhone in its place. I removed the plastic etc and powered it up and as I started too set it up i found pictures in it of a fela and his Miss's sight seen in Paris! So much for new!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Ya when I sent my iPhone back too apple I was sent a little box too just put the phone in.. I was then sent a "new" iPhone in its place. I removed the plastic etc and powered it up and as I started too set it up i found pictures in it of a fela and his Miss's sight seen in Paris! So much for new!

That's very unusual, when Apple receives a device back they usually wipe it and install a fresh copy of iOS. This one might have just slipped past them. The phone you get back is usually a refurb which looks and runs brand new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I'll have a look at adverts.ie over December and see what unwanted upgrades are going for. I did this last year with my 4s, sold it on adverts and bought the 5 there with what I got plus 140 cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Just sold my iPhone 5 this minute so I will definitely now be buying the 5s on Friday morning.

culabula wrote: »
    Just sold my iPhone 5 this minute so I will definitely now be buying the 5s on Friday morning.
    From the UK ?

• Advertisement

An excellent exploration here of the nascent and revolutionary fingerprint scannar and why the A7 chip is key to it's arrival.

The CEO of a card payment service says:

"In the torrent of the billions of words already written about Touch ID very, very few people have really understood just how revolutionary this really is. Apple not only has developed one of the most accurate mass produced biometric security devices, they have also solved critical problems with how the data from this device will be encrypted, stored and secured.

Apple has taken a very slow and methodical approach with the release of Touch ID. We can see that there was a tremendous amount of amazing work that has gone into this project. All of this convergence took over seven years of very hard work. It includes many patent applications, the acquisition of AuthenTec, the selection of the A7 processor and the integration of the TrustZone suite all baked together into what we now know as Touch ID.

This has been a long journey that has only just been made public and I am rather certain that Steve Jobs would be quite proud."

Advertisement