Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Piliger wrote: »
    From the UK ?

Apple Store, Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Joining the iSheep on the queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Joining the iSheep on the queue.

Would you ever go off and get a life, anybody who lurks around a thread to badmouth a company or product they sell is pathetic in my opinion. Calling somebody an iSheep? How original, honestly people like you I'll never understand. You must be about 13 with a comment like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Ignore the trolls please.

Get this thread back on topic or we'll have to lock it.

I just do not understand queuing for a device that will sell in the millions, is basically a small increment from the 5 and you are paying the SIM free price for it upfront on the day.

Hats off to Apple they do it every time, announce a product a week before launch, get all the Apple friendly tech media to hype the devices then the lazy mainstream media run with a synopses fed from the tech media and hey presto you have a frenzy.

My advice save the 600euro and the cost of the day out in Belfast and buy some shares in Apple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I just do not understand queuing for a device that will sell in the millions, is basically a small increment from the 5 and you are paying the SIM free price for it upfront on the day.

Hats off to Apple they do it every time, announce a product a week before launch, get all the Apple friendly tech media to hype the devices then the lazy mainstream media run with a synopses fed from the tech media and here presto you have a frenzy.

My advice save the 600euro and the cost of the day out in Belfast and buy some shares in Apple.

Roll on early 2014 and we can slag off the droids for buying the S5 ;)

Hats off to Apple they do it every time, announce a product a week before launch, get all the Apple friendly tech media to hype the devices then the lazy mainstream media run with a synopses fed from the tech media and hey presto you have a frenzy.

Selling a device a year later for very little less than you paid for it and updating to the latest for a slight outlay -basically, I rented my iPhone 5 for a year, for a 100€......

*all together now* -what's the problem, there Ted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

As the mod said, I would be inclined to completely ignore trolls in this forum, don't even bother quoting them, they're not worth it, with lack of attention they'll get bored and go back to their caves....

So anyway, can't wait to preorder my upgrade, I deserve to treat myself with something gold and shiny. :)

I have now received yet another complaint about this thread.

Just one more echo of a hint of a polemic and this thread is dead.

So anyway, can't wait to preorder my upgrade, I deserve to treat myself with something gold and shiny. :)

How are you going about doing that? Is it through the operator itself? I know Apple don't usually offer a preorder for Ireland.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    How are you going about doing that? Is it through the operator itself? I know Apple don't usually offer a preorder for Ireland.
    Oh I just mean when pre-orders become available, I'm probably using the "upgrade" term incorrectly, I mean I'd be buying a sim-free one from Apple's site, upgrading from my 4S model. I remember ordering that one a week prior to release, maybe they don't do that anymore? I hope they do though, even if it means 6-10 days delivery.

Oh I just mean when pre-orders become available, I'm probably using the "upgrade" term incorrectly, I mean I'd be buying a sim-free one from Apple's site, upgrading from my 4S model. I remember ordering that one a week prior to release, maybe they don't do that anymore? I hope they do though, even if it means 6-10 days delivery.

For the 5 it was released 1 week after the US got it. And after ordering I had to wait 3-4 weeks to get it. It was worth it though.

For the 5 it was released 1 week after the US got it. And after ordering I had to wait 3-4 weeks to get it. It was worth it though.

Not too bad, hopefully the wait will be a little less with it being an S model, but I suppose production will be ramped up to supply potential Chinese customers with the C and this will probably offset any drop in demand elsewhere. Ah, I can wait an extra week or two, like you said, it'll be worth it. :)

Not too bad, hopefully the wait will be a little less with it being an S model, but I suppose production will be ramped up to supply potential Chinese customers with the C and this will probably offset any drop in demand elsewhere. Ah, I can wait an extra week or two, like you said, it'll be worth it. :)

Strange with Apple not giving any rough date for the Irish release though, they could be expecting big delays with it. Since China has been included this time they'll be getting a lot of the iPhone orders.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm pretty much certain I'll plunge for the 5S. Will be moving away from android. Have an iPad so nice to be able to sync the phone with it

culabula wrote: »
    Selling a device a year later for very little less than you paid for it and updating to the latest for a slight outlay -basically, I rented my iPhone 5 for a year, for a 100€......

*all together now* -what's the problem, there Ted?

Had a quick scan of donedeal and ebay you done well selling your iPhone 5 for just less than €100 of the original purchase price. The second hand price is dropping a quick scan now has ASP of around 400euro simfree & unlocked.... it will be interesting to see how the value of these second hand holds up in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Smart businessman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Strange with Apple not giving any rough date for the Irish release though, they could be expecting big delays with it. Since China has been included this time they'll be getting a lot of the iPhone orders.

Various (unofficial) sources on Twitter are suggesting that the iPhone 5S won't go on sale in Ireland until at least November, due to supply constraints caused in part by the fact that China has gotten the new iPhone before Ireland (for the first time ever).

Obviously not officially confirmed, but it would be pretty disappointing if proven true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

eorpach wrote: »
    Various (unofficial) sources on Twitter are suggesting that the iPhone 5S won't go on sale in Ireland until at least November, due to supply constraints caused in part by the fact that China has gotten the new iPhone before Ireland (for the first time ever).

Obviously not officially confirmed, but it would be pretty disappointing if proven true...

Off up to Belfast so I think (maybe this weekend)!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Off up to Belfast so I think (maybe this weekend)!

Call before making the trip. They are still sold out up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

I'll be up that side of the country anyway but definitely will buzz them first on Saturday!

I am planning to buy my first iPhone soon as I am sick to death of all the other phones I've used up to now. I was planning on buying a 5S when it was released here but there's still been no news as to when that might be.

I was wondering if any of you iPhone veterans might be able to give a rough estimate as to how much the 5S might cost on contract here when it is released? It seems the current iPhone 5 is around €200 on €35/40 pm 2 year contracts, and €100 on €50/55 pm 2 yr contracts. Would it be expected that the 5S will cost much more than this? If so I might consider getting an iPhone 5 now as I am not too fussed about the extra processing speed for what I'd be using it for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I am planning to buy my first iPhone soon as I am sick to death of all the other phones I've used up to now. I was planning on buying a 5S when it was released here but there's still been no news as to when that might be.

I was wondering if any of you iPhone veterans might be able to give a rough estimate as to how much the 5S might cost on contract here when it is released? It seems the current iPhone 5 is around €200 on €35/40 pm 2 year contracts, and €100 on €50/55 pm 2 yr contracts. Would it be expected that the 5S will cost much more than this? If so I might consider getting an iPhone 5 now as I am not too fussed about the extra processing speed for what I'd be using it for...

I pay around €300 for the 32gb model when it launched.
    Hold tough for a month or two and this would drop to around the €200 mark like it did last year for the iphone 5.
    I got it on three.

The 5S will most likely line up with current prices, but there's a possibility that it could be increased ever so slightly. But expect big delays for Ireland compared to most years. End of October - Early Novemver at the very earliest.

If you can get the iPhone 5 for a decent price go for it, but don't buy it at the current selling prices. It's very much out of stock around Ireland though since it's been discontinued officially. Maybe second hand would be the best bet for finding one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Just be careful ....this forum is full of stories of troubles buying from non-official sources. I still advise patience.
    (If the 5S price is not too bad I plan to sell my 5 and upgrade. I'll be offering it here on Boards as I am a regular poster and my 5 is in ultra perfect mo. and bought direct, unlocked, from Apple.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,894 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Thanks guys, guess I'll hold out a bit longer for the 5S as I can't afford to buy a second hand 5 upfront anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Ponchonacho

Three customer servicet told me two weeks ago that next week would be most likely the launch here, but yesterday called again and said they have no idea... so probably was expected sooner but the production issues have delayed it...

Advertisement