Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

DubDJ wrote: »
    I actually think the Black/Slate iPhone 5 is a lot nicer. I don't think the Space Grey is a bad colour, I just think the Slate was the nicer of the two. I've a feeling the only reason they actually changed it was due to the anaodized aluminium scratching too easily.
    I prefer the slate as well, but I understand why they replaced it. It obscured the details on the back of the phone and generally didn’t contrast well with the black of the bezel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I prefer the slate as well, but I understand why they replaced it. It obscured the details on the back of the phone and generally didn’t contrast well with the black of the bezel.
    Imho most of this is about clever marketing - because most users use some kind of cover and never really see the back of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭adamtj09

I actually think the Black/Slate iPhone 5 is a lot nicer. I don't think the Space Grey is a bad colour, I just think the Slate was the nicer of the two. I've a feeling the only reason they actually changed it was due to the anaodized aluminium scratching too easily.

Any problems with the Touch ID? Going by reviews it seems pretty flawless.

Touch ID is pretty flawless! It's great seeing app you want to buy and just knowing your finger will allow you to buy it. Surely they will allow touch ID for third party apps in the near future. Imagine every password in every app being fingerprint compatible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

adamtj09 wrote: »
    Touch ID is pretty flawless! It's great seeing app you want to buy and just knowing your finger will allow you to buy it. Surely they will allow touch ID for third party apps in the near future. Imagine every password in every app being fingerprint compatible!

Yeah i'd find it more useful in that situation as my password is complicated for iTunes compared to my 4 digit passcode for the phone lock. I don't think Apple will allow third party apps access to the fingerprint scanner, just in case they do something that they're not supposed to ;)

Yeah i'd find it more useful in that situation as my password is complicated for iTunes compared to my 4 digit passcode for the phone lock. I don't think Apple will allow third party apps access to the fingerprint scanner, just in case they do something that they're not supposed to ;)
    You can be absolutely certain that hey will. They didn't bring this technology to the 5S just for iTunes. Wait until mid late 2014 and see what 3rd parties will have in store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

Piliger wrote: »
    You can be absolutely certain that hey will. They didn't bring this technology to the 5S just for iTunes. Wait until mid late 2014 and see what 3rd parties will have in store

Counterpoint: developers still don't have access to Siri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

I simply set up my password as a shortcut. Type two letters and ....bingo.

UPDATE: ignore that, am getting old. I set up my logins as shortcuts, does not work with passwords.

They're shooting me at 1500 this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

culabula wrote: »
    I simply set up my password as a shortcut. Type two letters and ....bingo.

UPDATE: ignore that, am getting old. I set up my logins as shortcuts, does not work with passwords.

They're shooting me at 1500 this afternoon.

All is forgiven. Although with iCloud keychain coming soon you won't even need to enter a password for websites because it'll offer to save them all for you.

Actually, it does that already but doesn't sync across devices. It did in the betas and was particularly cool.

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    Counterpoint: developers still don't have access to Siri.
    Tru ... but Siri only just recently emerged from beta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

So I am going to put an order in on the UK Apple website for the 5S.

Does anybody know will the 12 month warranty be applicable in Ireland if I go ahead with this order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Apple told me it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

McGrath5 wrote: »

Does anybody know will the 12 month warranty be applicable in Ireland if I go ahead with this order?

How soon is the 5s available in England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

MrMac84 wrote: »
    How soon is the 5s available in England?

It's shipping 'October'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It will. You will be fine.
    Ive bought 5 iPhones from Belfast over the years. 2 sent back on warranty issues no problem, they even give you the option to go back to the store and replace it there and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Can I ask how you are getting it delivered to Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Can I ask how you are getting it delivered to Ireland?

Parcel Motel

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

My 2 year vodafone contract is up november 3rd. So looks like the 5S wont be in shops for my renewal.
    So i will just have to wait until it is and then renew it. My 4S will do for the time being, albeit the battery is poor in it now.

Backfire wrote: »
    My 2 year vodafone contract is up november 3rd. So looks like the 5S wont be in shops for my renewal.
    So i will just have to wait until it is and then renew it. My 4S will do for the time being, albeit the battery is poor in it now.
    mines the same gettin six hours per charge from full too empty

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

mines the same gettin six hours per charge from full too empty

Once the reading goes below 40%, I find that mine just begins to drop faster and faster after that, hitting 10% before you know it. Annoying, as you can't rely on it without having to charge it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Just got the following email:

Thank you for your recent iPhone 5s order. As you may know, demand has been incredible, and we appreciate your patience.

Your iPhone 5s is scheduled to ship in October . We will email you a more specific ship date shortly.

For the most up-to-date delivery information, visit Order Status on the Apple Online Store. And if you already have an iPhone, the easiest way to check your order status, including delivery information, is to use the Apple Store app.

We look forward to getting your iPhone 5s to you as soon as possible.

The Apple Online Store

• Advertisement

Just got the following email:

Thank you for your recent iPhone 5s order. As you may know, demand has been incredible, and we appreciate your patience.

Your iPhone 5s is scheduled to ship in October . We will email you a more specific ship date shortly.

For the most up-to-date delivery information, visit Order Status on the Apple Online Store. And if you already have an iPhone, the easiest way to check your order status, including delivery information, is to use the Apple Store app.

We look forward to getting your iPhone 5s to you as soon as possible.

The Apple Online Store

From which store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

From which store?

I'd say its from the UK Apple website.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭marble

anyone know if an American iphone will work over here?

Yes, it will.

marble wrote: »
    anyone know if an American iphone will work over here?

Yes, it will, but there are warranty issues if something should go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Yes, it will, but there are warranty issues if something should go wrong.

Simply out of curiosity, what issues? I changed an irish iPhone in Australia and the wasn't a problem

Simply out of curiosity, what issues? I changed an irish iPhone in Australia and the wasn't a problem

That is not a problem. You can change a phone bought in Perth in Turin, should problems arrive.

The issues are that of 4G; US-sourced phones have not been exactly the same as European ones since the introduction of iPhone 5 owing to different radios.

Therefore Apple cannot exchange like with like and requests for assistance with a US-sourced 5 or 5s will be denied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

That is not a problem. You can change a phone bought in Perth in Turin, should problems arrive.

The issues are that of 4G; US-sourced phones have not been exactly the same as European ones since the introduction of iPhone 5 owing to different radios.

Therefore Apple cannot exchange like with like and requests for assistance with a US-sourced 5 or 5s will be denied.
    Until we know what models are sold in each region we don't know. The us and uk store both list the same model numbers so maybe they will replace in any region again.

guil wrote: »
    Until we know what models are sold in each region we don't know. The us and uk store both list the same model numbers so maybe they will replace in any region again.

Surely we've been down this road before? We discovered this last year with both iPhone 5 and iPad 4. I tried to help a boards member get service for a faulty unit in the Apple store in Belfast and it was denied for the reasons stated.

I looked at the model numbers for iPhone 5s at store.apple.com and they are completely different for the States and say, France or the UK. US model is A1533 and here is A1457. So, I don't understand your present optimism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

My point was that the European model looks to support the same bands as the US this time so maybe they will replace worldwide again. Iirc the model numbers were always different but they replaced them anyway. The problem with the 5 was different LTE chips.

Advertisement