Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

guil wrote: »
    My point was that the European model looks to support the same bands as the US this time so maybe they will replace worldwide again. Iirc the model numbers were always different but they replaced them anyway. The problem with the 5 was different LTE chips.

The wording with limited warranty restrictions would suggest otherwise. That hasn't changed.

However, you could well be right and I certainly hope so. It would be nice to see the global Apple warranty back in place. But the list of supported bands IS different, even though they coincide where it matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I don't know so but it will never affect me either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The US model supports more LTE bands than the European one this time around.
    But it is missing LTE band 7 (2600Mhz) which the european model has.
    Surprising as Canada uses band 7, although it is used more as a supplement to band 4.

Maybe by the time the iPhone 6 comes out there will be an LTE chipset with global radio support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Folks mine should be here today (missed the delivery yesterday) I'm with Vodafone and was wondering what info do I need to get safari working

Folks mine should be here today (missed the delivery yesterday) I'm with Vodafone and was wondering what info do I need to get safari working

? All you need is an active connection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭WhirlEsme

I'm going to get a sim-free US handset (when they're released) - so it is my understanding that it should work here with my Vodafone sim

......or will it? Dunnnnn dun dunnn

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You press the safari icon.

WhirlEsme wrote: »
    I'm going to get a sim-free US handset (when they're released) - so it is my understanding that it should work here with my Vodafone sim

......or will it? Dunnnnn dun dunnn

Yip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

After no luck in New York my sister in law has managed to get me a 32Gb 5s in Toronto.
    I hope for trouble free use but if anything goes wrong I'll let you know how much trouble the warranty gives me.
    My other sister in law is living in Canada for a while so I'll have a contact there and I will probably be over for a visit myself in a few months anyway so I have options for getting it back over there should anything happen.

Unfortunately I still need to wait over a week for her to come home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

SpaceTime wrote: »
    It looks like the iPhone 5S models ALL support all Irish LTE frequencies.
    The iPhone 5 didn't.

Irish bands for LTE :
    800MHz - Band 20 (Digital Dividend former analogue PAL TV spectrum)
    900MHz - Band 8 (old GSM 2G spectrum being freed up)
    1800MHz - Band 3 (old GSM 2G spectrum being freed up)

(As yet, unclear which will be used by which networks, they mostly have licences for all 3. However 800MHz or 900MHz would provide the best signal propagation similar to that of GSM 2G. There's been a big issue with 2100MHz for 3G as it doesn't propagate well in buildings etc)

Bands for UMTS/3G (European standard)
    2100MHz

Bands for GSM/EDGE 2G (European standard)
    900MHz
    1800MHz
    (Both used by most networks, so having only one would limit you in dense areas where 1800MHz may supplement 900MHz)

iPhone 5S

Model A1533 (GSM)*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)

Model A1533 (CDMA)*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25)

Model A1453*: CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26)

Model A1457*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20)

Model A1530*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20); TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40)

All tech specs are available on www.apple.com/iPhone

Just beware though that some US shops may not know what model they're selling. Make sure you check very carefully before buying.

Also, I am not entirely clear what the difference between FDD-LTE and TD-LTE will be in an Irish context as I don't know what the networks are using until they give out more technical information. I would assume it's whatever most ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute) members use though which seems to be a preference for FDD-LTE not TD-LTE. TD-LTE is generally confined to China and parts of the far east from what I have read about it and FDD-LTE is where most of the industry is going at the moment. FDD uses a frequency for upload and another one for download while TDD uses time division to share a single frequency for both. FDD seems to be producing better results at present though.

From the above though, it would seem like it doesn't matter as LTE-FDD is only supported on the last model on Bands 38, 39, 40 anyway. I would suspect that's the one aimed at Asian markets.

If you're planning on using it in both the US and Europe, check out the US frequencies more carefully as it looks like Ireland's going to be *very* Euro-standard and not at all quirky / weird. US frequencies tend to be strange because the FCC invariably comes up with absolutely daft frequency plans and operator-specific allocations that are totally unique to one company and stuff like that.

It's highly unlikely that Irish operators will do anything weird as they'll want access to the widest range of handsets and devices possible and won't want weird, expensive one-off network infrastructure gear either.

The FCC's approach has actually often held the US mobile industry up relative to the EU in particular which has been a lot more logical about allocations. In the early days of both 2G and 3G in the US the allocations were quite ridiculously small and a lot of networks were just permanently choked up. Early US 3G actually shoehorned 3G into the same spectrum that the existing CDMA and GSM 2G occupied where as in Europe it was given its own space.

In short: do your research mostly on the US side as that's where the weird stuff and unusual band allocations are likely to be!

I thought this issue has already been answered. As a posted in recent thread said that the iPhone 5s supports all the bands that Irish network use so its no problem it should still work fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement