Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Why are the people that seem to hate Apple/iPhone products posting in this thread?

You like your Samsung - that's fine - but nobody in this thread wants to hear your pointless arguments about how amazing it is and how superior it is to the iPhone :rolleyes:

Which post said that?

There was a few comments on why Android phones have larger screens, but I don't recall anyone claiming Samsung is better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭emo72

ive been using android for ages. using nexus 4 now. however im subbed to this thread because my daughter wants an iphone for christmas. i have failed her haha. im just hoping the budget phone comes in at a reasonable price. and the thoughts of installing itunes again....? its a lovely reliable os, if a little restrictive. not here to bash, the robots have their fair share of problems too.

cant see the plastic case making an iphone much more cheaper, im assuming they may leave some stuff off the cheaper phone, otherwise why would you buy the dearer one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I know I should get the 5C. Reasonable spending etc. But damn, I think I love that champagne iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

banquo wrote: »
    I know I should get the 5C. Reasonable spending etc. But damn, I think I love that champagne iPhone.

The iPhone 5c will be for students/kids* its made out of plastics. Adults should still get the 5s.

*developers should also get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

banquo wrote: »

The iPhone 5c will be for students/kids* its made out of plastic. Adults should still get the 5s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The iPhone 5c will be for students/kids* its made out of plastic. Adults should still get the 5s.

It's probable that the 5c is just the replacement for this years iPod touch - with no new ipod touch this year - the iPod business appears to have gone off a cliff in the last few quarters and it would make sense to do this instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Not sure how true this is but have a look at this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

Not sure how true this is but have a look at this

Im actually over on another thread at the moment talking about the Google Nexus 4, I am in the process of selling my iPhone 4S to fund the Google Nexus and this has made me even more content with my decision. Apple have just taken away any element of desire the iPhone ever had by releasing these (if the leaked images are real). They look cheap (which I know that is what they are meant to be before anyone says it) and in my opinion now makes the iPhone less appealing than it already has become during the last number of releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

I don't think they look too bad for what they're supposed to be - a budget iPhone.

Obviously the spec will be lower, but if it's a Nexus 4 you want you wouldn't be considering a lower end iPhone anyway.

Having said that I'm not loving iOS7 and with the Note 3 looming I'll be considering switching over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

I don't think they look too bad for what they're supposed to be - a budget iPhone.

Obviously the spec will be lower, but if it's a Nexus 4 you want you wouldn't be considering a lower end iPhone anyway.

Having said that I'm not loving iOS7 and with the Note 3 looming I'll be considering switching over.

I picked up a Nexus 7, live by gmail, Google calendar, docs and music, so its time I got a Google phone. My iOS days are soon to be behind me after years of loyalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I'm thinking if the 5C has the same spec as the 5S, only idiots will buy the 5S, because everyone buys a case for their phone anyway...usually a "plastic" case too.

On the screen size: I hope the current iPhone 5 screen size is the size they keep for all future releases. It is perfect for the intended use of a smart phone. The average thumb reaches the 4 corners of the screen with ease. Any bigger would mean stretching and it is not necessary for a phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

goz83 wrote: »
    I'm thinking if the 5C has the same spec as the 5S, only idiots will buy the 5S, because everyone buys a case for their phone anyway...usually a "plastic" case too.

On the screen size: I hope the current iPhone 5 screen size is the size they keep for all future releases. It is perfect for the intended use of a smart phone. The average thumb reaches the 4 corners of the screen with ease. Any bigger would mean stretching and it is not necessary for a phone.

I'd be astonished if they made the specs the same on both.

More likely is they'll make them roughly the same as the iPhone 4, basically the same except for the look of it.

they could put this out for 199 dollars sim free. could you imagine how well it would sell? it would really hurt android. just my 2 cents. budget phones seem to sell around that price, just sayin lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How cheap is this cheap iphone gong to be? If it's €500 it's still nearly 30% cheaper than the iphone5, I can't see it being half the price. €199 not a hope.

Meanwhile on the android / iPhone battle I think this should shut the droids up about which oS is better. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324202304579053412932547056.html

Would you like Norton with your S4? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

The nexus 4 which is a top end phone sells for 200 euro, so a budget iPhone selling for 500 euro is not going to impact on Androids huge dominance over IOS.
    This will be a huge decision for Apple and could actually make or brake the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

goz83 wrote: »

Annnnnnnd I suppose anyone who wants a larger screen is also an idiot - to you. Well Im hoping it will be a larger screen, at least I can work on the go and I dont want a tablet and a smartfone. Apple needs the bigger screen and they know it.

You can keep your silly little screen :)

How cheap is this cheap iphone gong to be? If it's €500 it's still nearly 30% cheaper than the iphone5, I can't see it being half the price. €199 not a hope.

Meanwhile on the android / iPhone battle I think this should shut the droids up about which oS is better. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324202304579053412932547056.html

Would you like Norton with your S4? :D

the 199 price? im just hoping thats all! 500 dollars is a shocking price on the other extreme! hopefully its nowhere near that price.

theres an android/iphone battle? ooohhh im steering well clear of that!

iPhone 5C
    €379 for the 8GB
    €449 for the 16GB
    €499 for the 32GB
    €579 for the 64GB

iPhone 5S
    €699 for the 32GB
    €799 for the 64GB
    €899 for the gold edition 128GB

iPhone 4 8GB discontinued.
    iPhone 5 16GB discontinued price drop to €629

iPhone 4S reduced €479 for 16GB and €579 for the 32GB

That's my guesses.

jesus 379 euro for 8 gig would be scandalous. would they even bother with an 8 gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

emo72 wrote: »
    jesus 379 euro for 8 gig would be scandalous. would they even bother with an 8 gig?

To make it "sound" not as expensive as the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

iPhone 5C
    €379 for the 8GB
    €449 for the 16GB
    €499 for the 32GB
    €579 for the 64GB

iPhone 5S
    €699 for the 32GB
    €799 for the 64GB

That's my guesses.
    interesting guesses. I'd say some of them are fairly right. Be interesting to see if the 5s starts at 32 gb also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

iPhone 5C
    €379 for the 8GB
    €449 for the 16GB
    €499 for the 32GB
    €579 for the 64GB

iPhone 5S
    €699 for the 32GB
    €799 for the 64GB

That's my guesses.

I reckon you'll be about spot on. However, I don't see them discontinuing the iPhone 5 while keeping on the 4S. They'll drop both or just drop the 4S - more likely though, they'll just drop the 4 and keep all the rest.

I'm sceptical about the starting point of 32GB - with memory so cheap it wouldn't surprise me even if that flies in the face of the fact that a huge number of iPhones being sold in this country at least are the lower models because they're so significantly cheaper.

The current iphone4 which was released in june 2010 is for sale in an 8GB for €399 http://store.apple.com/ie/buy-iphone/iphone4 the 5C won't come in under that price point I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

It makes sense for Apple to discontinue all iPhones which remain on the 3.5" screens. They've already done it with their iPod Touch so dropping the 4 and 4S and replacing them with the iPhone 5C would make sense.

i"m guessing it will be;

iPhone 5C 8GB - €399
    iPhone 5C 16GB - €499

iPhone 5 16GB - €579

iPhone 5S 32GB - €679
    iPhone 5S 64GB - €799
    iPhone 5S 128GB - €899

(Not entirely sure they'll keep a 16GB model for the 5S as somebody who needs storage would opt for the 5S over the 16GB model iPhone 5 which is a selling point for the 5S)

There's talk that the 5C could actually run similar specs to the iPhone 5, running iPhone 4 specs wouldn't make sense as iOS 7 isn't running too great on it and they'd want to future proof the 5C for new updates.

sdeire wrote: »
    I'm sceptical about the starting point of 32GB - with memory so cheap it wouldn't surprise me even if that flies in the face of the fact that a huge number of iPhones being sold in this country at least are the lower models because they're so significantly cheaper.

Nobody is buying the 32GB or 64GB there just too expensive, I really don't know how apple are going to price the iPhone 5C, everything tells me it's apple and they'll be pig headed and go for €399 but if it doesn't come in at an entry pice somewhere between €199 and €299 Apple are in big trouble they'll be cleaned off by the end of 2014, Micheal Dell will be rubbing his hands and picking it up cheap.

DubDJ wrote: »

iPhone 5S 32GB - €679
    iPhone 5S 64GB - €799
    iPhone 5S 128GB - €899

Another person who reckons the flagship won't come in a 16GB any more :) Has to happen €679 for a 16GB is absurd, and lot of us paid it :(

Nobody is buying the 32GB or 64GB there just too expensive, I really don't know how apple are going to price the iPhone 5C, everything tells me it's apple and they'll be pig headed and go for €399 but if it doesn't come in at an entry pice somewhere between €199 and €299 Apple are in big trouble they'll be cleaned off by the end of 2014, Micheal Dell will be rubbing his hands and picking it up cheap.

People have been predicting the end of Apple for some time now. They're still raking it in though. They still make arguably some of the best laptops and devices in the tech industry. Their OSes are used by some of the biggest companies and industries in the world. Trust me they'll be around for some time.

Also people expected the iPad mini to match the Nexus 7 pricing of around €200-€250 but that retailed at €339 and they sold boatloads and it's another hit device. Selling it at €399 is reasonable when it comes to Apple. It's a high end company selling a budget device, but again it will be a very high-end budget device.

heres what the question should be " Whats the going price for a budget mobile phone".

the answer is 150 to 300 euro. now even at those prices you expect a bit of decent build quality ala metal casing and gorilla glass.

now we assume apple are going to milk it, but, bear with me here, the whole point of apple building a budget phone is to compete in the budget sector. so why are they building a budget phone if they are not gonna mix it up. this is why i think they will be cheaper than whats being predicted. i think they can sell these under 300 euro and still make a rake of money.

heres what the question should be " Whats the going price for a budget mobile phone".

the answer is 150 to 300 euro. now even at those prices you expect a bit of decent build quality ala metal casing and gorilla glass.

now we assume apple are going to milk it, but, bear with me here, the whole point of apple building a budget phone is to compete in the budget sector. so why are they building a budget phone if they are not gonna mix it up. this is why i think they will be cheaper than whats being predicted. i think they can sell these under 300 euro and still make a rake of money.

Google make the majority of their profit from services, whereas Apple make profit on the actual device. Thats why Google sell the Nexus range at such a low price, and don't allow expandable storage. It encourages you to store your files in the cloud and pay Google for that storage. Gathering data from users as well as that also makes Google a lot of revenue.

Apple on the other hand make the majority of the profits on the actual iOS devices and Macs. They make very little from iTunes, and gathering data etc. You have to keep that in mind when understanding how they'll price a device.

• Advertisement

jaysus i thought they made a fortune from apps. google dont charge anything for the music i store in the cloud mind you. and i have never paid for an app yet.

Advertisement