Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

emo72 wrote: »
    jaysus i thought they made a fortune from apps. google dont charge anything for the music i store in the cloud mind you. and i have never paid for an app yet.

This is from January but still shows my point. They are a hardware company where Google are a software company primarily.
    applepiechart.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Pretty good guess tamarins there.

For me, €300 would have to be most for the basic model 5c to really challenge. hopefully €200 if they really wanted to stir the market up but the 16gb iPod touch is only €249 so unlikely I'd say.

They could use a cheaper camera lens, not full retina screen, same processor as 5 to reduce cost in addition to the plastic case.

Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure they'll sell a bucketload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How's this rumour, the iPhone 5C, the C is for China and will be announced at the China Apple media event the day after ours.
    Our cheap iPhone is the iPhone 4 or 4S so no multi coloured plastic iPhones for America / Europe.

How's this rumour, the iPhone 5C, the C is for China and will be announced at the China Apple media event the day after ours.
    Our cheap iPhone is the iPhone 4 or 4S so no multi coloured plastic iPhones for America / Europe.

Wouldn't make much sense as th US event had the same invitation with the tagline "This will brighten up your day". It's a major hint at the colourful plastic iPhone. It wouldn't make sense that it's the iOS colour scheme as that has already been announced and won't be the focus of the event.

The 'C' will most likely stand for colour. It also is coincedence that it could stand for cheap but the marketeers at Apple wouldn't be happy with them referring to it as 'cheap'. Apple never actually admits what the letter stands for. 3GS was most likely speed, 4S was for Siri, the 5S probably stands for Security and the 5C for colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Could be right DJ but China is where they need the cheap phone with a population over 1.3 billion it's bigger than America and Europe combined. It's where they'll get much needed market share if they get the price right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Funny...

I thought it was iPhone 5Cheap

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

jesus 379 euro for 8 gig would be scandalous. would they even bother with an 8 gig?

That's the going price for the iPhone 4 8GB in stores at the moment.

I reckon they'll outright replace the iPhone 4 with the 5C instead, it would explain why there has been a massive slow down on the supplies from Apple recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭emo72

Sonics2k wrote: »
    That's the going price for the iPhone 4 8GB in stores at the moment.

I reckon they'll outright replace the iPhone 4 with the 5C instead, it would explain why there has been a massive slow down on the supplies from Apple recently.

Yeah but that's a fairly high end metal framed phone. Is replacement is a plastic phone. There should be no comparison.

Yeah but that's a fairly high end metal framed phone. Is replacement is a plastic phone. There should be no comparison.

It's Apple.
    Apple don't do cheap. People will happily pay the €380 or so for an iPhone 5C 8GB.

To be fair to it, despite being an older phone, the specs on the 4 are still quite good and better than a fair amount in the same region.
    Though, I have a sneaking suspicion they'll up the camera to an 8MP for the 5C.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Macrumors on about Apple testing a 6 inch screen......http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/05/apple-testing-prototype-iphones-with-six-inch-screens-not-expected-this-year/

For me, anything much bigger than 4 inch screen its going past a phone and into the realms of a tablet. I cannot fathom how people carry a Note or S4 around in a jeans pocket. My iPhone is just handy when I'm on the road, allowing me to check email or GPS if I'm looking for a place. Other than that, work is done later on the iPad or MBA. I can see the benefits to a cheaper iPhone - The repair costs on the glass and metal is horrific. A plastic casing may mean more robust and cheaper repairs. If it has the same capabilities as an iP5, but is way cheaper, I'll definitely get one when my 4S is ready to go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's Apple.
    Apple don't do cheap. People will happily pay the €380 or so for an iPhone 5C 8GB.

Ey, they don't usually make cheap tack either, but the 5c is looking like a step in that direction. Its like apple are repeating the cycle that almost ended them the last time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

whiterebel wrote: »
    Macrumors on about Apple testing a 6 inch screen......http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/05/apple-testing-prototype-iphones-with-six-inch-screens-not-expected-this-year/

For me, anything much bigger than 4 inch screen its going past a phone and into the realms of a tablet. I cannot fathom how people carry a Note or S4 around in a jeans pocket. My iPhone just gets me out of a hole when I'm on the road, allowing me to check email or GPS if I'm looking for a place. Other than that, work is done later on the iPad or MBA. I can see the benefits to a cheaper iPhone - The repair costs on the glass and metal is horrific. A plastic casing may mean more robust and cheaper repairs. If it has the same capabilities as an iP5, but is way cheaper, I'll definitely get one when my 4S is ready to go.

You can easily fit an S4 in your pocket. I was surprised. You don't notice it all that much. It's thin and very light.

I do prefer a big screen, but I think a 6 inch iPhone would look rubbish what with iOS' UI - just rows and rows of icons.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You can easily fit an S4 in your pocket. I was surprised. You don't notice it all that much. It's thin and very light.

I do prefer a big screen, but I think a 6 inch iPhone would look rubbish what with iOS' UI - just rows and rows of icons.

You must have big pockets - I felt like I had a side plate in mine.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

I've an S3, basically same size as the S4 and I honestly don't understand this. The phone fits very easily into all my pockets with plenty of room to spare. Once you've used any of the bigger screens, iPhone 4/4s and even the 5 to a lesser extent are impossible to return too. I'd love to see a slightly larger iPhone, say 4.7in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yeah, i have a lumia 920, which is a big phone, but i have absolutely no complaints about its size. It's also difficult to fathom how anyone could continue say that anything with a screen bigger 4" is reaching into tablet territory when sales have already proven emphatically that there's a huge demand for such phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I have a couple of pairs of jeans which shallow pockets and the iPhone 5 barely fits. The Ativ S with its 4.8 inch screen doesn't fit at all.

I've been using a Galaxy Nexus the last few days while my iPhone is being repaired and my problem with a larger screen is definitely a valid one. It wouldn't be even considered one of the larger Android handsets but I'm still hating how awkward it is to hold and use one handed.

I wouldn't have the biggest hands in the world now :P, but I'm still finding it awkward to hold and use one handed. I really hope Apple don't release a huge phablet type iPhone. Or if they do, still offer a smaller screen version. I think the Note looks ridiculous. Never seen anybody actually having a phone conversation on one yet but i'd imagine it looks strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The 5C isn't going to be 'cheap tack'.

Apple are repeating what they did with the iPod. Few year after the flag ship you get a mini (cheaper version), few year later a nano (cheaper again). It's classic iteration. Make the same product but just different enough for people to buy.

The 5C isn't going to be 'cheap tack'.

Apple are repeating what they did with the iPod. Few year after the flag ship you get a mini (cheaper version), few year later a nano (cheaper again). It's classic iteration. Make the same product but just different enough for people to buy.

I'm no Apple fan, but I can't agree more with this.

Apple doesn't do "cheap tack". If anything can be said for them, is that they do quality products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Apparently the 5C is identical to the current 5 but with a plastic housing. Certainly not cheap tack!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Mr.S wrote: »
    i'd be amazed if the iPhone 5C is priced below €350, would steal to much thunder from the Touch!

I'd imagine €399 and €499 for 16GB 32GB. I'd say theres a good chance it will only come in 16GB though as they don't want to draw sales from the iPhone 5S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

DubDJ wrote: »
    Also people expected the iPad mini to match the Nexus 7 pricing of around €200-€250 but that retailed at €339 and they sold boatloads and it's another hit device. Selling it at €399 is reasonable when it comes to Apple. It's a high end company selling a budget device, but again it will be a very high-end budget device.

The whole iPad story mirrors the iPhone story, innovative product, ahead of it's time, sells well, competition surpass it and compete well on price, marketshare tanks. Happened to the iPhone and continues to, happening to the iPad and got worse since this graphic. Big margins are only healthy if you have meaningful marketshare. We could well be seeing a repeat of Apple v Microsoft with the same result and no Steve Jobs to come back and perform miracles.

sai-cotd-072913.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I'd imagine €399 and €499 for 16GB 32GB. I'd say theres a good chance it will only come in 16GB though as they don't want to draw sales from the iPhone 5S

Interesting thought passed through my head - what if the 5c only comes in 8gb (to get the price below €400), then the 5s is the 16/32/64/??? Gb model ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I never really bought the ''Apple losing smartphone marketshare'' argument. Of course they are.

You can buy a 'smartphone' for 50 quid now days. Pretty much every phone for sale anywhere in the developed world is technically a 'smartphone'.

Of all those phones - pretty much every phone being sold - Apple sell two phones. At incredible margins. They take 57% of the profits from the sale of smartphones, with 18% of the marketshare.

And the vast majority of the non-apple smartphones have terrible margins. It's really only worthwhile comparing the marketshare of Apple's iPhone, Samsung's S3 and S4 phones and the likes of the HTC One. That would be genuinely interesting reading.

Any kind of argument based on ''let's collect pretty much every phone in the world and see who has the biggest marketshare'' is preposterous and useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

And furthermore! I don't expect to see the 5C below 380 either. It reduces the value of the brand, and makes producing the iPod Touch almost pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

My next smartphone battery has to last me 48hours until then I'm not buying a new smartphone. Daft that I have to charge my iphone in the middle of the day, 10 years ago my nokia lasted best part of a week. Where's the innovation.

And do give me its does a lot more, no it dosnt if its out of power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

onedmc wrote: »
    My next smartphone battery has to last me 48hours until then I'm not buying a new smartphone. Daft that I have to charge my iphone in the middle of the day, 10 years ago my nokia lasted best part of a week. Where's the innovation.

And do give me its does a lot more, no it dosnt if its out of power.
    I agree... I'm really pissed off with the iPhone needing charging every 8-10 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Could never understand how people continued to pay through the nose in a recession knowing that Apple, one of the most profitable companies in the world make 57% profit on every iPhone sold.

The nexus 4 is a better phone, and for 250 euro Apple can keep their iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Could never understand how people continued to pay through the nose in a recession knowing that Apple, one of the most profitable companies in the world make 57% profit on every iPhone sold.

The nexus 4 is a better phone, and for 250 euro Apple can keep their iPhone.

Now there's a trolling comment if I saw one...

Also, iPhones are free on higher monthly contracts. All phones are expensive off contract, not just the iPhone.

Advertisement