Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Zcott wrote: »
    Now there's a trolling comment if I saw one...

Also, iPhones are free on higher monthly contracts. All phones are expensive off contract, not just the iPhone.

+1 I'm up money from getting my iPhone on contract. Got the iPhone 4 free and traded it in for 180 and the 5 cost 99 on upgrade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

So this is now officially another Apple vs Android thread? Any chance we can go back to talking about the Iphone 5S/5C?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

onedmc wrote: »
    My next smartphone battery has to last me 48hours until then I'm not buying a new smartphone. Daft that I have to charge my iphone in the middle of the day, 10 years ago my nokia lasted best part of a week. Where's the innovation.

And do give me its does a lot more, no it dosnt if its out of power.

I'd say a modern smartphone has a massively more powerful and efficient battery.

And if you connected a ****ty old mono screen and only used it for calls and texts then it would last as long if not longer than your Nokia brick.

The innovation is that it is now attached to a super high def touch screen with a powerful camera attached and is being run by a computer that would probably piss all over the most powerful consumer desktop computers available when you had your Nokia brick ten years ago.

This argument that smartphones are automatically **** because they're battery life can be poor is such a load of crap.

It obviously doesn't outweigh the benefits for the vast majority of people. If it doesn't for you then don't buy a smart phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I don't see what the problem is?

You're in your car, charge it.

You're by your desk, charge it.

You go to bed, charge it.

You need the battery to last and you know you won't be able to charge it, get an extended battery case.

I've never been in a situation where I've run out of battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Keep on topic, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Could never understand how people continued to pay through the nose in a recession knowing that Apple, one of the most profitable companies in the world make 57% profit on every iPhone sold.

The nexus 4 is a better phone, and for 250 euro Apple can keep their iPhone.

Idiotic post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Although I understand why the battery life is the way it is, I'm still surprised nobody has come up with a great solution to improve and extend the battery life of some of the top end phones. It's probably one of the most common complaints I see from people. It bothers me a bit too, but doesn't get to me enough that I'd stop using my iPhone but I'd hoped something better would be available by now.

It's great having these gorgeous designed phones that are so thin and so fast but I'd really like to get through a full day without needing to recharge it. I hope they surprise us with even a slightly longer battery in the 5S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Allow me to explain re: "How dare they charge X Y X"

The second phone that comes out of the factory costs them X to make.

The first phone to come out of the factory cost a X + lot, lot more in research, design, testing, production, shipping and marketing.

Furthermore, supply and demand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

banquo wrote: »
    Allow me to explain re: "How dare they charge X Y X"

The second phone that comes out of the factory costs them X to make.

The first phone to come out of the factory cost a X + lot, lot more in research, design, testing, production, shipping and marketing.

Furthermore, supply and demand.

And at probably 2-3 million units, they start making 50+% profit per unit.. Most manufacturers of electronic products work the same way. Playstation 2 & 3 lost big money per unit until they ramped up their production. I think XBox took years to make a profit and then had to allow $1B to allow for the claims for RROD.

Yeah, MSFT had the cash at the time to lose money for the first few years just to gain market share and brand loyalty.

360 was the biz, in fairness to them.

Personally I have no problem with a company charging as much as it wants for a product. Supply and demand, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

Could never understand how people continued to pay through the nose in a recession knowing that Apple, one of the most profitable companies in the world make 57% profit on every iPhone sold.

The nexus 4 is a better phone, and for 250 euro Apple can keep their iPhone.

WAHAAYY!!!!! More power to apple, they deserve every cent for making the best tech products on this planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

DubDJ wrote: »
    Although I understand why the battery life is the way it is, I'm still surprised nobody has come up with a great solution to improve and extend the battery life of some of the top end phones.

They have, they are waiting to have it cleared by regulators in most countries. I read about it on techhive about a year ago. It was something to do with a gas contained within the battery that had regulators and safety heads rattled and have held it up. In test's it powered a Galaxy S3 for 10 days.

There is also the new li-ion electrode that they say increases those batteries by 10 fold. It's signed off as viable product but due to non mass production as of yet it's still far too expensive.

Oh and in relation to the poster complaining and saying how his nokia held a 2 week charge or whatever. Yeah if you've got mono green screen, no data and don't use it for music then yes you will get 2 weeks out of it. There was a company in germany about 2 years ago for a laugh took a 4S battery and worked it to power a 5110. It lasted over a month on a single charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭emo72

Jaysus lads. It always has to descend into a pissing contest. Anyway as a nexus owner I can't wait for the 5c to be announced tomorrow. Hopefully it's cheaper than forecast but I won't hold my breath. I suppose it will be the evening time before it's announced?

Should be interesting on Christmas morning when my little one is asking why she can't drag and drop files onto it and why nothing will play!

"Hey honey, you asked for this!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

emo72 wrote: »
    Jaysus lads. It always has to descend into a pissing contest. Anyway as a nexus owner I can't wait for the 5c to be announced tomorrow. Hopefully it's cheaper than forecast but I won't hold my breath. I suppose it will be the evening time before it's announced?

Should be interesting on Christmas morning when my little one is asking why she can't drag and drop files onto it and why nothing will play!

"Hey honey, you asked for this!"

Glad your not my dad lol

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

They have, they are waiting to have it cleared by regulators in most countries. I read about it on techhive about a year ago. It was something to do with a gas contained within the battery that had regulators and safety heads rattled and have held it up. In test's it powered a Galaxy S3 for 10 days.

There is also the new li-ion electrode that they say increases those batteries by 10 fold. It's signed off as viable product but due to non mass production as of yet it's still far too expensive.

Oh and in relation to the poster complaining and saying how his nokia held a 2 week charge or whatever. Yeah if you've got mono green screen, no data and don't use it for music then yes you will get 2 weeks out of it. There was a company in germany about 2 years ago for a laugh took a 4S battery and worked it to power a 5110. It lasted over a month on a single charge.

That's actually incredible, and proves that companies nowadays still do work hard on giving reasonable battery life, it's just unfortunate that new technology hasn't got to the market yet, 10 days on a smartphone would be bliss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Looking forward to the announcement tomorrow. Hopefully Apple can throw something new into the mix. Currently on S3 but would happily switch over to the 5S if it had something to differentiate it from the crowd. I can see the 5C being a good seller for younger generations but I also expect a lot of snobbery among a certain element about it.

At this point, there's little to separate the high end phones except personal taste. I'm hoping Apple can come up with something truly new. A fingerprint scanner would be cool but not really a game changer. Probably wishful thinking on my part seeing as its the 5S and not the 6. Still excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What time is the announcement? How soon (if they announce a new iPhone) after wards before its on general realise do ye think?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What time is the announcement? How soon (if they announce a new iPhone) after wards before its on general realise do ye think?

The announcment takes place at 6pm here, some have suggested about 2 weeks or so before it goes on sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

madness98 wrote: »
    The announcment takes place at 6pm here, some have suggested about 2 weeks or so before it goes on sale

Is that the time when the event starts? I've got training at 6.30, didn't think the announcement for the iPhone would be until around 8 or 9pm. Ah well, I'll catch if afterwards if thats the case.

Is that the time when the event starts? I've got training at 6.30, didn't think the announcement for the iPhone would be until around 8 or 9pm. Ah well, I'll catch if afterwards if thats the case.

They upload the keynote to their website after, so you can watch it anytime which is good, I probably won't catch it live myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The announcement happens at 10am which is 6pm Irish time. It's usually live streamed and then posted to YouTube, iTunes and the Apple website afterwards.

The iPhones are supposed to go on sale September 20th in the US which, if the same as last year, would mean the 27th for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

These are the times all over the world for the keynote live

iphone-5s-5c-event-time-b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

At this point, there's little to separate the high end phones except personal taste. I'm hoping Apple can come up with something truly new. A fingerprint scanner would be cool but not really a game changer.

This seems to be the thoughts of many and is fully understandable. The problem that apple and indeed everyone else now is what I call the Simpsons problem. They've done everything! What's left in a standard handset? 3D or full holographic video call? Retina scan for security? There is nothing left to come up with and they are all just going bigger screen now to seem like the best in show.

Contact less is potential but at present nobody seems to care so it's a pretty useless feature. Fingerprint scanning isn't anywhere near accurate enough yet and far too unreliable for main stream commercial use. Ditto retina in a small package. So where do we go bar bigger screen, better battery, higher res camera, 1 tb per second Bluetooth speeds. At that the masses will moan that's its all iterative rather than innovative.

^^^ Very true. And we rely on Apple to 'invent' the next big solution to a problem we didn't realise existed. They're already reinvented a few new categories - and I count retina laptops/desktops among them - that where do they go from here?

Also, a lot of the magic is lost in knowing what's to come. If the 5C was announced tomorrow as a surprise we'd all be well impressed and excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

I'm still grasping straw hoping that we have all be conned and Apple will pull a fast one and come out with an S4 sized kind of screen. Some papers are still saying it, but most aren't .......where's that straw :(

As the man said on the radio just now. Billions in research and they come up with a champagne cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Radio? Papers? Seriously you listen to mediums who only report on apple when there's a launch. As opposed to sites/people who dedicate their jobs to apple/mobile space?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Radio? Papers? Seriously you listen to mediums who only report on apple when there's a launch. As opposed to sites/people who dedicate their jobs to apple/mobile space?

Nope! Never thought of Googling for people who dedicate their jobs to apple/mobile space.

I'm still hoping for a big screen this time around. My 2 years are up and don't really want to wait till next Summer for a decent sized iPhone screen. Mad bit of planning this is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,894 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Contract for my 4S ends in four weeks so this perfectly timed.

As long as they don't make the phone any bigger I'll be delighted, I've an iPad and don't need a brick in my pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Drives me nuts. No doubt some dipstick will be on withstand copper spouting some ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

pfurey101 wrote: »
    Nope! Never thought of Googling for people who dedicate their jobs to apple/mobile space.

I'm still hoping for a big screen this time around. My 2 years are up and don't really want to wait till next Summer for a decent sized iPhone screen. Mad bit of planning this is.

No bigger screen this time. It's about the cheaper phones.

Advertisement