Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

pfurey101 wrote: »
    I'm still grasping straw hoping that we have all be conned and Apple will pull a fast one and come out with an S4 sized kind of screen. Some papers are still saying it, but most aren't .......where's that straw :(

As the man said on the radio just now. Billions in research and they come up with a champagne cover.

Am I alone here and not wanting a bigger screen?

Don't use a phone for watching a video and like the compactness of iPhone size.

Stupid research comment, this product has developed over the last 10 years and has defined the market (as much as Android users don't like to hear that) and people just focus on a new colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

murpho999 wrote: »

Stupid research comment, this product has developed over the last 10 years and has defined the market (as much as Android users don't like to hear that) and people just focus on a new colour.

Fair enough, but it would be great to have the choice of a big screen phone for people who do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,894 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nope!
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    As long as they don't make the phone any bigger I'll be delighted, I've an iPad and don't need a brick in my pocket.

I hate the size of some of the Androids people are going around with. If there's an option for one or the other, a la the iPad mini, that's fine but just having a bigger phone option would really shit me.

The 5 is plenty big imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Nope!

I hate the size of some of the Androids people are going around with. If there's an option for one or the other, a la the iPad mini, that's fine but just having a bigger phone option would really shit me.

The 5 is plenty big imo.

I think so too but Apple is probably leaving money on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭purpleblaa

pfurey101 wrote: »
    Nope! Never thought of Googling for people who dedicate their jobs to apple/mobile space.

I'm still hoping for a big screen this time around. My 2 years are up and don't really want to wait till next Summer for a decent sized iPhone screen. Mad bit of planning this is.

Agree with this completely. I just changed my iPhone (4 for two years) to the S4, simply because Apple (imo) aren't keeping up with the trends. They do their thing and people buy it, but for me an iPhone 5 or 5s wouldn't be a big enough change from the 4. Yes I know people will say there's a world of difference between 4 and 5, but not as much as between ANY iPhone and the new S4.

If Apple were developing something similar to some of the concept phones I've seen then I would have waited, but for me, 5S and 5C weren't going to make me want to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

This seems to be the thoughts of many and is fully understandable. The problem that apple and indeed everyone else now is what I call the Simpsons problem. They've done everything! What's left in a standard handset? 3D or full holographic video call? Retina scan for security? There is nothing left to come up with and they are all just going bigger screen now to seem like the best in show.

Contact less is potential but at present nobody seems to care so it's a pretty useless feature. Fingerprint scanning isn't anywhere near accurate enough yet and far too unreliable for main stream commercial use. Ditto retina in a small package. So where do we go bar bigger screen, better battery, higher res camera, 1 tb per second Bluetooth speeds. At that the masses will moan that's its all iterative rather than innovative.

Very good point, I agree, not much left to improve on these days. Its just a pity some of the excitement/magic has gone out of these launches. The S4/HTC One launches were pretty underwhelming, as was the iPhone 5. I suppose its just something I'll have to get used to :(

I'm still going to watch the keynote with interest, I'll be eager to play around with iOS 7 if nothing else anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

I have an upgrade available so waiting out for the 5s.. Just wondering what's the Craic with getting it when it's released can you go in and get I in Vodafone or will you have to pre order? Just wondering from people who've gotten them at launch before will they be launches straight away on the likes of Vodafone or will apple release them first and then a few weeks later the likes of Vodafone will get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Switched over to the HTc One recently as I cracked the screen on my iphone and I love it. Nice big screen which is lovely for browsing.
    However everytime I pick up the iphone 5 it sits absolutely perfectly in my hand and I really miss that. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Nope!

The 5 is plenty big imo.

I'm exactly the same opinion here. I don't like the HTC 1 or the Galaxy's as they are way too big. I don't get the whole thing of this phone is better because it's got a much bigger screen. The 5 for me is as big a screen as I would go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

I'm exactly the same opinion here. I don't like the HTC 1 or the Galaxy's as they are way too big. I don't get the whole thing of this phone is better because it's got a much bigger screen. The 5 for me is as big a screen as I would go.

It's a strange thing really, once you get used to a larger screen it's difficult to look at a smaller screen again....surely you said at one point "the iPhone 4 screen is big enough", but if you looked at a 4 now you'd wonder how you ever used it...it's the same with people using the larger android phones, they've got used to that size of a screen so it's very difficult to go back.

• Advertisement

new_maniac wrote: »
    It's a strange thing really, once you get used to a larger screen it's difficult to look at a smaller screen again....surely you said at one point "the iPhone 4 screen is big enough", but if you looked at a 4 now you'd wonder how you ever used it...it's the same with people using the larger android phones, they've got used to that size of a screen so it's very difficult to go back.

Yeah, you get used to the screen size very quickly. I had to go back to a 4" screen while my phone was being repaired and it was tough getting used to it, you just can't do as much.

Yeah, you get used to the screen size very quickly. I had to go back to a 4" screen while my phone was being repaired and it was tough getting used to it, you just can't do as much.

I know, logically, it doesn't make sense, because you can do the same stuff you were always able to do, but it just feels....limited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Funnily enough, the screen on the iphone 4 almost seems larger than the screen on my 5, at a glance.

It looks wider due to the ratio. Whereas the 5 screen seems skinnier.

I know that makes no sense :P

quad_red wrote: »
    Funnily enough, the screen on the iphone 4 almost seems larger than the screen on my 5, at a glance.

It looks wider due to the ratio. Whereas the 5 screen seems skinnier.

I know that makes no sense :P

Yes, strangely enough my girlfriend debated that the iPhone 4 screen was wider than the iPhone 5....mine eyes do deceive me lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The only problem with the larger screens is the actual comfort of holding the phone and using it one handed. Of course a bigger screen is better. But it's bigger phones most people don't want. That obviously doesn't bother everybody. Problem is with Apple they don't usually offer a choice. So it's usually this one or nothing. If they do introduce a bigger screen people who don't want that will be annoyed. And then there's people who want a bigger screen. If it does happen, I just hope there's a choice. Kinda like the iPad mini or the 5C. Offering a lower cost option.

DubDJ wrote: »
    The only problem with the larger screens is the actual comfort of holding the phone and using it one handed. Of course a bigger screen is better. But it's bigger phones most people don't want. That obviously doesn't bother everybody. Problem is with Apple they don't usually offer a choice. So it's usually this one or nothing. If they do introduce a bigger screen people who don't want that will be annoyed. And then there's people who want a bigger screen. If it does happen, I just hope there's a choice. Kinda like the iPad mini or the 5C. Offering a lower cost option.

I suppose keeping the hardware specs similar wouldn't really be possible if they have different sizes. The battery in a 5in screen would likely be much bigger capacity than the 5S for example.

DubDJ wrote: »

Well although it's unlikely to see a larger iPhone this time round, possibly next year we'll see one, but you're definitely right, there would need to be two high end devices, one with a large screen, one with the standard size.

As you mentioned about the one-handedness of the iPhone, it's bound to be a huge selling point. And I don't know if Apple would want to sell a 'meet in the middle' device between a phone and a tablet, because they would probably want you to buy an iPhone and an iPad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

new_maniac wrote: »
    As you mentioned about the one-handedness of the iPhone, it's bound to be a huge selling point.

It's only a selling point to people who want a screen that size.

I don't have particularly big hands, but I find it easy to use a Galaxy or a Nexus device one handed.

You don't need to be able to reach the top left corner of the screen on Android because you can put the icons where you like (and still have it look nice).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No, I want a phone to use as a phone. Calendar, email etc are necessary, but browsing, youtube etc are not on a phone.

whiterebel wrote: »
    No, I want a phone to use as a phone. Calendar, email etc are necessary, but browsing, youtube etc are not on a phone.

This is what the iPhone does better than anyone still.

I read an interesting piece about customization - while it can be fun on your Android, you almost HAVE TO customize them (with the exception of Nexus devices) due to the amount of rubbish on it.

IF I get move from iOS again I know I'll spend an hour or so rooting, flashing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Do we need 2 threads on this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

miralize wrote: »
    Do we need 2 threads on this?

One is for an event, the other about the actual hardware. After the event dies down I'm sure all focus will shift to actually getting the devices and this thread will take off. I hate when things get lost in a thread after a big event. It's better having both.

This is what the iPhone does better than anyone still.

I read an interesting piece about customization - while it can be fun on your Android, you almost HAVE TO customize them (with the exception of Nexus devices) due to the amount of rubbish on it.

IF I get move from iOS again I know I'll spend an hour or so rooting, flashing etc.

iPhone does those things well but I'd argue all of the high end devices do, plus the Mail app is pretty crap compared to Gmail App IMO. Not sure what article you read but that is total rubbish. Absolutely zero need to customise your android phone unless you want to. Baseless stuff like this is what annoys me most about the idiotic Apple vs Android thing.

iPhone does those things well but I'd argue all of the high end devices do, plus the Mail app is pretty crap compared to Gmail App IMO. Not sure what article you read but that is total rubbish. Absolutely zero need to customise your android phone unless you want to. Baseless stuff like this is what annoys me most about the idiotic Apple vs Android thing.

It's hardly baseless. There are forums dedicated to getting rid of stock Android firmware!

It merely made me aware of exactly what it is I do with my Android devices and why.

Most people aren't too happy with carrier firmware on their phone for obvious reasons.

Touchwiz is bad enough at times without VF putting their junk on it too.

It's hardly baseless. There are forums dedicated to getting rid of stock Android firmware!

It merely made me aware of exactly what it is I do with my Android devices and why.

Most people aren't too happy with carrier firmware on their phone for obvious reasons.

Touchwiz is bad enough at times without VF putting their junk on it too.

Theres a big difference between have to and choosing to. I agree that bloatware is a pain and the various android skins can be frustrating but to say that users have to change their firmware to use the phone is ridiculous.

Also, I'd love to see figures but I suspect the vast majority of Android owners have not, and will never flash a custom rom or root their phone. Anyone I know that has an S3, S4 or HTC One doesn't even know or care about custom launchers, let alone custom roms.

Theres a big difference between have to and choosing to. I agree that bloatware is a pain and the various android skins can be frustrating but to say that users have to change their firmware to use the phone is ridiculous.

Also, I'd love to see figures but I suspect the vast majority of Android owners have not, and will never flash a custom rom or root their phone. Anyone I know that has an S3, S4 or HTC One doesn't even know or care about custom launchers, let alone custom roms.

And that's why their phones probably (certainly in all my friends' cases) don't run as fast and battery efficiently as mine.

That's my point - a lot of the time it's necessary to tweak Android (that's what I mean when I say 'have to' - to get the best out of the device).

Something you don't have to do with an iPhone.

And that's why their phones probably (certainly in all my friends' cases) don't run as fast and battery efficiently as mine.

That's my point - a lot of the time it's necessary to tweak Android (that's what I mean when I say 'have to' - to get the best out of the device).

Something you don't have to do with an iPhone.

Thats a matter of personal opinion, without owning the phone yourself how can you say if their phones are running better or worse than yours? Maybe they use their phones more so the battery doesn't last as long?

My fathers S4 is lasting twice as long as his 4S was, does that mean everyone who has an S4 is getting twice as much battery as a 4S? No.

Everyone has a personal preference for OS, phone etc. but you can't take what you've experienced as fact and say Android phones need to be optimised for top performance, particularly when well respected tech sites like Anandtech, ARS Technica and many others have raved about the performance and battery of Lumias, S4, Moto X, HTC One etc. I don't recall any review of any top end phone saying that the stock firmware needs to be tweaked for best performance, because they don't.

Theres little difference in performance between any of the high end phones these days, I would have thought that was accepted by fans of every platform.

Thats a matter of personal opinion, without owning the phone yourself how can you say if their phones are running better or worse than yours? Maybe they use their phones more so the battery doesn't last as long?

Because I've used their phones and they've complained to me. I'd have a look at their battery stats too and I'd be familiar with how much time they'd spend on the phone because I'd ask them.
    My fathers S4 is lasting twice as long as his 4S was, does that mean everyone who has an S4 is getting twice as much battery as a 4S? No.

I've had 10 - 15 or so Android phones in the last couple of years - not one has had the as good a battery as the 4s with the exception of the S3.

Everyone has a personal preference for OS, phone etc. but you can't take what you've experienced as fact and say Android phones need to be optimised for top performance, particularly when well respected tech sites like Anandtech, ARS Technica and many others have raved about the performance and battery of Lumias, S4, Moto X, HTC One etc. I don't recall any review of any top end phone saying that the stock firmware needs to be tweaked for best performance, because they don't.

In my experience, most of the time they do - with the exception of the Nexus devices. Perhaps that's changed this year.
    Theres little difference in performance between any of the high end phones these days, I would have thought that was accepted by fans of every platform.

I would agree for the most part....

Are we still discussing the possible hardware/specs of the new iPhone/s or have we descended into another circular Android Vs iOS again?....because I can assure you, these are very circular debates

• Advertisement

Because I've used their phones and they've complained to me. I'd have a look at their battery stats too and I'd be familiar with how much time they'd spend on the phone because I'd ask them.

Fair enough

I've had 10 - 15 or so Android phones in the last couple of years - not one has had the as good a battery as the 4s with the exception of the S3.

Well I'm assuming we're talking about high end android phones compared to iPhones? If not, then yeah, performance is not going to be equal but a custom ROM is not going to fix that. Bad hardware is bad hardware.

In my experience, most of the time they do - with the exception of the Nexus devices. Perhaps that's changed this year.

If that was the case don't you think the reviews would be a lot poorer? Whats the point of excellent hardware if the firmware needs to be customised and why are tech sites not mentioning it in reviews?
    I would agree for the most part....

At least we agree on something :)

Advertisement