Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

new_maniac wrote: »
    Are we still discussing the possible hardware/specs of the new iPhone/s or have we descended into another circular Android Vs iOS again?....because I can assure you, these are very circular debates

Nope. I'm just open to discussing the merits of both in my experience. I like and use both OS' for different reasons.

Obviously comparisons will be drawn between the two in discussing hardware and software of either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Are we still discussing the possible hardware/specs of the new iPhone/s or have we descended into another circular Android Vs iOS again?....because I can assure you, these are very circular debates

I'm done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

Well I'm assuming we're talking about high end android phones compared to iPhones? If not, then yeah, performance is not going to be equal but a custom ROM is not going to fix that. Bad hardware is bad hardware.

They were high end ones, with the exception of one or two, but I wouldn't be bothered comparing those. In many cases they've been the same model to make sure it's not a one off.

And whilst I realise the hardware is there, it's sometimes hampered by the firmware I find. And that's the difference between Android and iPhone, again in my experience. There's a consistency with iOS.
    If that was the case don't you think the reviews would be a lot poorer? Whats the point of excellent hardware if the firmware needs to be customised and why are tech sites not mentioning it in reviews?

I'd wonder how long they'd spend using the phone before they review it. Sometimes I'd have a phone for a few weeks and it would be fine, and then the issues start. It's not every phone, but it's just something I wouldn't experience on iOS.
    At least we agree on something

:)

Having said all that I'm looking forward to later to see if I'll wait for the 5s or go Android again :)

EDIT:
    I'm done

Me too! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭new_maniac

Nope. I'm just open to discussing the merits of both in my experience. I like and use both OS' for different reasons.

Obviously comparisons will be drawn between the two in discussing hardware and software of either.
    I'm done :)

Fair enough both of you, it's hard whether text on a screen is written with an angry tone or a friendly tone lol...We don't want you guys falling out over phones after all.

I do think iOS is the better polished of the two OS's, but the way apple have made it so closed bugs me somewhat. Comparativlity, android can be rough round the edges because it's an open source project, but the fact that it's open source means it can be messed around with

Having said all that I'm looking forward to later to see if I'll wait for the 5s or go Android again :)

I'm the same, either upgrade from the S3 to HTC One or maybe Nexus 5 if its out soonish or switch over to iOS for a while.

• Advertisement

I do think iOS is the better polished of the two OS's, but the way apple have made it so closed bugs me somewhat. Comparativlity, android can be rough round the edges because it's an open source project, but the fact that it's open source means it can be messed around with

I agree that iOS is more polished but I don't agree that performance of iPhone 5 is any better or worse than comparative Android phones like the One or S4. That was my main point.

Anyway, back to the iPhone 5S/5C. Anyone willing to have a guess at price point of the 5C? I was kinda hoping the price range would have leaked by now but nothing yet. Knowing Apple, it'll be far from "cheap". My guess is around €350-400.

I agree that iOS is more polished but I don't agree that performance of iPhone 5 is any better or worse than comparative Android phones like the One or S4. That was my main point.

Anyway, back to the iPhone 5S/5C. Anyone willing to have a guess at price point of the 5C? I was kinda hoping the price range would have leaked by now but nothing yet. Knowing Apple, it'll be far from "cheap". My guess is around €350-400.

I suppose it's wishful thinking that they would give it the same price tag as the iPad Mini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

They'll surely not go below €350? They want to offer a cheaper alternative to the 'premium' range.

If they make the cheaper range half the price more and more consumers won't be able to justify the more expensive and more profitable (for apple) premium handset.

quad_red wrote: »
    They'll surely not go below €350? They want to offer a cheaper alternative to the 'premium' range.

If they make the cheaper range half the price more and more consumers won't be able to justify the more expensive and more profitable (for apple) premium handset.

Just had a crazy thought...anyone wonder if the 5C is just going to be a colorful version of the 5S?

Which would mean it would be priced the same as the 5S....just a thought

quad_red wrote: »

No I'd be very surprised if they do. They would make a lot of money in the short term off younger consumers and probably in Asia too but it would severely damage the image of the brand IMO. Considering how many iPhone users are attracted by the premium image of the brand, how many of those would stick around if everyone suddenly had iPhones, even if they are a cheaper model.

Looking at the design, the 5C and 5S are going to look pretty similar. A certain segment of iPhone user need people to see that they have an iPhone. I think we all know the type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Agreed, not a hope they'll dip below 350. More likely 450-499. Has to be significantly cheaper than the flagship, but not too cheap to damage the brand.

Yeah a lot of leaks suggested the specs were almost identical to the 5. I'm presuming the iPhone 4 is going to be discontinued tomorrow from the online store? In that case, sell your iPhone 4 today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I paid over €600 for my 5 and I wonder what kind of prices the new ones will be, what networks will have it first too, will they have offers on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

€350-€400 is the sweet spot. I'd say they'll get a lot more sales from people who just want an iPhone and don't know what the other features are. They'll lose sales of the 5S to it but I'd say the 5C sales will more than make up for it.

You have to remember, a €499 phone isn't exactly budget. There'd be no point in it.

DubDJ wrote: »
    €350-€400 is the sweet spot. I'd say they'll get a lot more sales from people who just want an iPhone and don't know what the other features are. They'll lose sales of the 5S to it but I'd say the 5C sales will more than make up for it.

You have to remember, a €499 phone isn't exactly budget. There'd be no point in it.

True but Apple have never said the 5C is going to be a budget phone. We're all speculating here, I still think €350-400 is most likely but €499 is not out of the question either. Maybe they're looking at Samsung and saying hang on, they're S4 is plastic and is currently selling for around €500-550 new, might be that the 5C is just a plastic version of the 5/5S. Wild speculation of course :)

I would say the 5C will attract a new market whereas the 5S will attract current iPhone users...if the price is set right, they'll probably make more money than any other iPhone release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So there's no lost cost iPhone, how there share price is surviving this at the moment has me baffled.
    They've basically replaced the 4s with the 5c and held the price the same.
    The 5 is being replaced by the 5s.

They've basically done nothing to claw back market share.

So there's no lost cost iPhone, how there share price is surviving this at the moment has me baffled.
    They've basically replaced the 4s with the 5c and held the price the same.
    The 5 is being replaced by the 5s.

They've basically done nothing to claw back market share.

They've kept the 4S on, dropped to 4GB. The 5C is basically replacing the iPhone 5. And adding the iPhone 5S to the lineup. The 5C is the 5 in a cheaper case.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

Well that was underwhelming!

Its off to big screen land with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

The 5C is the 5 in a cheaper case.

At the price point the 5 would have been sold at using the old model.

This is a con. They produced a cheaper phone and are trying to squeeze the same money as the better phone would of sold for.

I won't be upgrading my 4s now. Maybe for next model but they really need to go bigger with better battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭emo72

heartbreaking. if the 5c is going to be around 500 euro sim free, i dont see the point of it. id rather have the S and pay the extra.

Going by the france store, the 5C is €599 and the 5S is €699. The 5C really isnt worth buying imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

emo72 wrote: »
    heartbreaking. if the 5c is going to be around 500 euro sim free, i dont see the point of it. id rather have the S and pay the extra.

Or wait for the 6 next year sometime.

Going by the france store, the 5C is €599 and the 5S is €699. The 5C really isnt worth buying imo.

It looks like an iPhone in a Nokia lumina case. They can keep both. Taking the piss I think.

Is there no more 64gb iPhone in the 5C or 5S, think that's going to push me to a iPhone 5 64GB. I can live without fingerprint used to have it on a Motorola Atrix.

Is there no more 64gb iPhone in the 5C or 5S, think that's going to push me to a iPhone 5 64GB. I can live without fingerprint used to have it on a Motorola Atrix.

I don't think you'll be able to buy a iPhone 5 soon. It will be 5c or 5s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

topcatcbr wrote: »
    I don't think you'll be able to buy a iPhone 5 soon. It will be 5c or 5s

That's right. There'll be three options, 4s, 5c or 5s. The current 5 is finished.

The question was about the storage size, I didn't see any mention of anything above 32GB in the new models, is that correct?

The question was about the storage size, I didn't see any mention of anything above 32GB in the new models, is that correct?

My guess is we are expected to rent iCloud real estate creating a continuous revenue stream.

• Advertisement

topcatcbr wrote: »
    My guess is we are expected to rent iCloud real estate creating a continuous revenue stream.

iCloud's not worth a flying furball to me, was hoping for a release of a 128GB today. Your probably right though.

Advertisement