Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

iCloud's not worth a flying furball to me, was hoping for a release of a 128GB today. Your probably right though.

The price increase for extra storage is crazy also. Over €100 for a part that couldn't cost any more than €10 to make and install.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Apple are there to make money, not friends, same as any business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Was at training... Can any one sum up the announcement?

eeloe wrote: »
    Apple are there to make money, not friends, same as any business!

Banks are there to make money.

Apple are there to make software and technology devices. They used to try and make the best products available on the market and inventing products we didn't know we needed until they produced them. They charged a premium for this which many were prepared to pay. By doing this they became one of the most profitable companies on the planet. Unfortunately they now seem to only produce income generating tech with little innovation which I think will soon cost them their premium status.

MrMac84 wrote: »

Disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

MrMac84 wrote: »

Disappointing !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Little Pea wrote: »
    Disappointing !

New iPhone? New iOS ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

DubDJ wrote: »
    Going by the france store, the 5C is €599 and the 5S is €699. The 5C really isnt worth buying imo.

I'm a massive apple fan, have an ipad and have had an iPhone for nearly 4 years now. Those price points are ridiculous especially for the 5C, I know apple products come with a hefty price tag, it's the apple premium, but if they keep this up despite how heavily invested I am in the AppStore I may just jump ship, what is the point of the 5C, it's a rediculously expensive plastic phone with colours for teeny boppers that won't be able to afford it in a million years. IMHO €450 is more than enough for the 5C and €550 for the 5S.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Banks are there to make money.

Apple are there to make software and technology devices. They used to try and make the best products available on the market and inventing products we didn't know we needed until they produced them. They charged a premium for this which many were prepared to pay. By doing this they became one of the most profitable companies on the planet. Unfortunately they now seem to only produce income generating tech with little innovation which I think will soon cost them their premium status.

People are always saying this. Yet I can't remember the last Apple product whose announcement wasn't met with whinging and whining. Maybe the first iPhone, but even that had no shortage of detractors saying it was ridiculously expensive for a phone. Post-Jobs death everyone seems to have developed this rose-tinted view of Apple's past successes which glosses over the often very negative initial response to their product announcements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

iPhone 5s looks decent enough cant understand the 5c
    Anyone know when you can a) order it and b) collect it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

iPhone 5s looks decent enough cant understand the 5c
    Anyone know when you can a) order it and b) collect it

I agree with this, the 5c makes no sense to me at its price point, the 5s seems about right imo.

People are always saying this. Yet I can't remember the last Apple product whose announcement wasn't met with whinging and whining. Maybe the first iPhone, but even that had no shortage of detractors saying it was ridiculously expensive for a phone. Post-Jobs death everyone seems to have developed this rose-tinted view of Apple's past successes which glosses over the often very negative initial response to their product announcements.

I don't have a mac I have a PC. And I have no intention of changing that. I still think the Mac is very over rated. I have a iPhone 4S and its a fine phone.
    I was not a fan at the start until I got my first I touch. I thought it was great. It was new tech. My first smart phone wasn't iOS but android. The apps compared to the same apps on the itouch were not as good. This made me get an iphone. The early examples of android phones didn't come close to iOS. This is not the case today. It's also true that there is a much larger selection of apple compatible docking stations and accessories but this is changing.

I would have loved them to increase the screen to 5". And I don't mind paying a big price for good inovative tech. I think google are doing better at the moment and are picking up speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

topcatcbr wrote: »
    The price increase for extra storage is crazy also. Over €100 for a part that couldn't cost any more than €10 to make and install.

Hi
    There is a 64 gb 5s.
    I am actually thinking about a 5c as am always worrying about my 5, like about dropping it etc. I would also just like to make a point.
    What is the point of having an apple devices forum if all people do is bitch about them? I think they are a good company, and think the 5c is a good idea, as not everyone wants aliminium phones.
    As far as accessibility goes also, no question apple are by far the better company while google meanwhile and Nokia for that matter do not give a sh*t about their disabled or should I say, any prospective disabled customers they could have had if they had been bothered to care about implementing accessibility. So, before people go slating apple, think about some of their good points as well as the bad. I know no company is perfect, and I'm well aware that apple got sued and that was why they implemented accessibility in the first place, however they went above and beyond their call of duty and it works beautifully!!! Iphone for me is a pleasure to use in every sense, andit is only because of it, that I have access to boards at all. Furthermore, I am replying to this post, in braille using a braille display which is supported by the Iphone and why? Because apple care about their disabled customers.
    Point made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭dubmick

599 / 699 for the 5C. Low cost my arse. Apple talking the p*ss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

afterglow wrote: »
    What is the point of having an apple devices forum if all people do is bitch about them? I think they are a good company, and think the 5c is a good idea, as not everyone wants aliminium phones.
    As far as accessibility goes also, no question apple are by far the better company while google meanwhile and Nokia for that matter do not give a sh*t about their disabled or should I say, any prospective disabled customers they could have had if they had been bothered to care about implementing accessibility.
    Apple haters love to spend time in apple forums bit*hing about Apple under the guise of being apple users. They suffer from a range of envy disorders.

54kroc wrote: »
    I agree with this, the 5c makes no sense to me at its price point, the 5s seems about right imo.
    It seems pretty sensible to me. It's essentially a 5 except better.

dubmick wrote: »
    599 / 699 for the 5C. Low cost my arse. Apple talking the p*ss.
    They won't be forcing you to buy one ....... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Piliger wrote: »
    It seems pretty sensible to me. It's essentially a 5 except better.

Is it? I thought it has the same specs as the iPhone 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Might have missed it but any idea what the 5S will cost Sim-free?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Anyone relieved that there is not some cheap iPhone out there? I'd consider it a downgrading of a premium product I buy because I can afford to buy it. It would be like BMW selling cars at Ford Focus or Toyota pricing levels.

• Advertisement

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    No one will know until Apple starts selling it here in Nov or Dec.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Anyone relieved that there is not some cheap iPhone out there? I'd consider it a downgrading of a premium product I buy because I can afford to buy it. It would be like BMW selling cars at Ford Focus or Toyota pricing levels.
    Apple were never going to do this for the very reasons you set out. The 5c is simply a way of allowing a way into an entry model for customers at a very slightly lower spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I was looking to upgrade my 4 but the prices are insane.

Won't be buying either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭kingshankly

PrettyBoy wrote: »

Uk prices are
    16 £549
    32 £629
    64 £709

Holsten wrote: »
    I was looking to upgrade my 4 but the prices are insane.

Won't be buying either.

I will. I'll be selling my 5 herabouts when the 5S arrives :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Piliger wrote: »
    Apple were never going to do this for the very reasons you set out. The 5c is simply a way of allowing a way into an entry model for customers at a very slightly lower spec.

Totally agree, the 5c is effectively replacing the 5 and the 5S is the new flagship. You had the situation last year where 3GS owners were upgrading to iPhone 4S's when the iPhone 5 came out. Presumably the iPhone 5 now like the 3GS will stop selling leaving just the two models, they really should drop the iPhone 4s now too and concentrate solely on the 5c and 5s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

So, like, when will these be in shops in Ireland so I can get myself a cut-price iPhone 4S or 5? I've been on a hand-me-down Galaxy 1 for 2 years now and am due an upgrade and need a phone that talks to my Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Uk prices are
    16 £549
    32 £629
    64 £709

How do these prices compare to the 5 at launch last year?
    I am really amazed that the 5c is only £80 cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

As I said in other forums none of these iPhones are cheap. Where is the challenge to the Nokia Lumia 520 / 620 or Google Nexus phones; they are 1/3 of the price, no long contract and perform almost all the smartphone tasks required perfectly well and fast.

Stock market none to pleased; AAPL shares down 2.28% at close.

Also since Steve Jobs death no more Apple wow products, this is all really dull stuff.

• Advertisement

sarkozy wrote: »
    So, like, when will these be in shops in Ireland so I can get myself a cut-price iPhone 4S or 5? I've been on a hand-me-down Galaxy 1 for 2 years now and am due an upgrade and need a phone that talks to my Mac.
    November or early December according to the keynote today.

Advertisement