Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The iPhone 5s and 5c

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

As I said in other forums none of these iPhones are cheap. Where is the challenge to the Nokia Lumia 520 / 620 or Google Nexus phones; they are 1/3 of the price, no long contract and perform almost all the smartphone tasks required perfectly well and fast.
    Apple has never been, nor will it ever be, interested in low end tat.
    Stock market none to pleased; AAPL shares down 2.28% at close.
    Since when is the share price an indication of anything ?
    Also since Steve Jobs death no more Apple wow products, this is all really dull stuff.
    Yeah right :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

murpho999 wrote: »
    How do these prices compare to the 5 at launch last year?
    I am really amazed that the 5c is only £80 cheaper.

A bit more expensive - I paid £529 for my iPhone 5 last year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Piliger wrote: »

Oh right...can I get some forthcoming football results off you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

:P

What about the iPod and all its low end flavors and even the iPad Mini?

We were expecting an iPod type low end iPhone it did not happen and the Google Nexus 4 and Nokia Lumia's 520 / 620 have a clear run on the Christmas market.

That's a laugh :P
    We were expecting an iPod type low end iPhone it did not happen and the Google Nexus 4 and Nokia Lumia's 520 / 620 have a clear run on the Christmas market.
    And how much profit do they make on those ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

That's a laugh :P

And how much profit do they make on those ?

Are you ok?

iPod is a throw away commoditized music player not a premium product anymore, even Apple accepts that fact.

Less people can waste 600euros (or their abouts) on a shiny iPhone every year. Volume counts especially since the smartphone is rapidly dropping in price and the technological gap between the low and high end devices narrows while the price gap stays the same, long term that will hurt Apple; people (outside the usual Apple fanatical fans) will soon see through the extortion of Apple prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

eggy81 wrote: »
    Are you ok?

Don't worry Apple need people like him :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Really disappointed with the 5c price, apple make a lot of money from the app store so it would make sense to me if they offered a lower priced device to help gain market share and increase profits from the app store while sacrificing some profit on device sales.

• Advertisement

eggy81 wrote: »
    Are you ok?
    Are you ? Don't you realise that the margin on those phones is miniscule whereas the profits on the Apple devices are huge ? yet you cannot grasp why Apple does not get involved in that end of the market ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why are people so convinced that the Lumia is the big threat.

They have not done well at all.

People go on here as if iPhone has been a disaster for last few years and ignore that it sells in huge numbers.

Also, stock price reaction today is no indication of how successful a product will be.

iPod is a throw away commoditized music player not a premium product anymore, even Apple accepts that fact.

Less people can waste 600euros (or their abouts) on a shiny iPhone every year. Volume counts especially since the smartphone is rapidly dropping in price and the technological gap between the low and high end devices narrows while the price gap stays the same, long term that will hurt Apple; people (outside the usual Apple fanatical fans) will soon see through the extortion of Apple prices.
    So why is it that Apple can sell more iPhones than they can manufacture ?

So why is it that Apple can sell more iPhones than they can manufacture ?

I never believe that story, that is classic Apple creating a surge with pent up demand and generating queues of people and media interest. Every phone shop I was in the last month was stocked to the hilt with the iPhone 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I never believe that story, that is classic Apple creating a surge with pent up demand and generating queues of people and media interest. Every phone shop I was in the last month was stocked to the hilt with the iPhone 5.

Good measurement as no one buys iPhones a month before launch of a new one.

Why are people so convinced that the Lumia is the big threat.

They have not done well at all.

People go on here as if iPhone has been a disaster for last few years and ignore that it sells in huge numbers.

Also, stock price reaction today is no indication of how successful a product will be.

Lumia 520 is about €180 to buy simfree its fast, reliable and unlike low end Android devices it feels a quality product. Use one and you will see.

Good measurement as no one buys iPhones a month before launch of a new one.

Are you qualifying your original statement so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Are you ? Don't you realise that the margin on those phones is miniscule whereas the profits on the Apple devices are huge ? yet you cannot grasp why Apple does not get involved in that end of the market ....

I really don't give a hoot about any of these companies. I've moved from android to apple last gen and find them both to have distinct advantages over each other. I'm just worried that you take people's complaints against the extortionate price point that apple place on frankly run of the mill tech a little disturbing and was wondering if you are handling it all ok. That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

So apart from a different processor and a fingerprint reader in the 5S is there anything else that differentiates it from the iPhone 5?

Am I right in saying that it is more expensive than the 5 also?

To be fair it, 5S, has a better processor, camera, flash and 64-bit processing. Will cost £80 STG more, no word on Irish prices I think yet.

Here is a good review:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/10/apple_iphone_5c_and_5s/?page=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Well, glad I didn't skip soccer training for that. Fairly disappointed although I suppose I shouldn't have expected more. Anyone know how much I could get a iPhone 5 for now that they're discontinued? Presumably there's still a lot of stock somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

I hope to get the 5S when i renew my contract in november.

why?...not sure....just prefer iphone to android phones. Never used a windows phone.

I currently use a 4S, just love it, has served me well over the past 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Re all the "disappointed with that" comments as a non techie just wondering what were ye expecting innovation wise.

Well, glad I didn't skip soccer training for that. Fairly disappointed although I suppose I shouldn't have expected more. Anyone know how much I could get a iPhone 5 for now that they're discontinued? Presumably there's still a lot of stock somewhere?

I'd say the iPhone 5 would be a better buy than the iPhone 5C, it should be cheaper and looks a lot better then the 5C. The only difference I can see is the camera in the iPhone 5C is slightly better. I don't know why they even bothered with the iPhone 5C? I guess they can make it cheaper than the current iPhone 5 and therefore reduce the selling price but they didn't.

With all the posts defending of the price of the iPhone 5C, I haven't seen any posts saying they're going to get one or upgrade to one?

poolboy
    A truly cheap iPhone, for say €250 euro simfree.

At the higher end; NFC, wireless charging and advancements in the camera like the Lumia 1020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

AntiVirus wrote: »
    With all the posts defending of the price of the iPhone 5C, I haven't seen any posts saying they're going to get one or upgrade to one?

I suspect most people on here are Apple enthusiasts and will pay for the 5S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I'm an Apple user and currently have a Samsung Galaxy I (in need of an upgrade). If it wasn't for the dirt poor integration between OS and Android (you can't even upgrade the firmware using Samsung's OS X program and zero music functionality), I might stick with Android as I think it's better than iOS. But because of the integration and the fact that I feel handicapped by not having my computer talk to my phone, I need to upgrade to an iPhone.

But I'm broke, so I'm hoping the iPhone 5 comes down in price between now and Christmas so I can upgrade to that, which is fine by me.

People get very heated when discussing these things. They're just tools.

However, I can't help but feel disappointed about this release. Apple does seem to be in the doldrums. They seem caught in a bit of a pincer movement. Jobs is gone and people are worrying there aren't any new 'big ideas' in the pipeline which could boost their market share or open up an entirely new product niche. In addition to that, they're losing ground rapidly in emerging markets, and clearly, they're going after that.

The sum total of this is a potential crisis for Apple - they trade on being an expensive product. Bringing down the price too much without differentiating meaningfully will work against Apple because, frankly, there are better phones out there, but the advantage can also be (for many) entering the 'OS X/iOS ecosystem' for its practical merits.

It's interesting times ahead for Apple, anyway.

Now, Irish networks: gimmie my phone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,894 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

sarkozy wrote: »
    But I'm broke, so I'm hoping the iPhone 5 comes down in price between now and Christmas so I can upgrade to that, which is fine by me.

The 5 is discontinued, gonski.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The 5 is discontinued, gonski.
    There's still 4's going around.

Advertisement