Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iphone won't come on.

• 17-08-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

Don't know much about iphones so I thought I'd ask in here,apologies if it has been asked before.
    My son's iPhone 5 stopped working last week,won't come on at all,he said it needs to be "restored."
    He left it in to the shop it was bought in for an estimate and they got back to him today saying it was going to cost €240'to repair it :eek: and if they can't they'll give him another phone.
    Is there anything I could tell him to try that he maybe hasn't already tried or somewhere that might be able to fix it cheaper or will he have to bite the bullet and pay the €240?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

ooter wrote: »
    Don't know much about iphones so I thought I'd ask in here,apologies if it has been asked before.
    My son's iPhone 5 stopped working last week,won't come on at all,he said it needs to be "restored."
    He left it in to the shop it was bought in for an estimate and they got back to him today saying it was going to cost €240'to repair it :eek: and if they can't they'll give him another phone.
    Is there anything I could tell him to try that he maybe hasn't already tried or somewhere that might be able to fix it cheaper or will he have to bite the bullet and pay the €240?

Apple give a year warranty. If the phone is less than a year old he should contact apple and arrange an exchange or make a genius appointment with the Belfast store via the apple website and they will swap it there and then assuming there is no water damage.

If it is an iPhone 5 it will be less than a year old. Might be a problem if it needs to be restored because of a failed jailbreak but if you give more details others here might be able to advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

dingding wrote: »
    Apple give a year warranty. If the phone is less than a year old he should contact apple and arrange an exchange or make a genius appointment with the Belfast store via the apple website and they will swap it there and then assuming there is no water damage.

If it is an iPhone 5 it will be less than a year old. Might be a problem if it needs to be restored because of a failed jailbreak but if you give more details others here might be able to advise.

the phone is definitely less than a year old but he doesn't have the receipt,will that make a difference.he does have the box so maybe the store he bought it in can give him proof of date of purchase if they scan the barcode?
    a genius appointment,is that a typo?
    thanks dingding,i'll pass that info on,as far as i know there's no jailbreak or water damage involved..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

the phone is definitely less than a year old but he doesn't have the receipt,will that make a difference.he does have the box so maybe the store he bought it in can give him proof of date of purchase if they scan the barcode?
    thanks dingding,i'll pass that info on,as far as i know there's no jailbreak or water damage involved..

No receipt required, genius appointment is only needed if you go to Belfast store.

Best thing you can do is ring apple (if no water damage), get number from their website or request call back, give them serial number and explain problem.

You have 2 option, advance replacement cost you €29 and apple send you refurbished (new ) iphone first and then you have to send old ph back within 10 days,.

2nd option is free, you send ph first and apple fix it and send you back, normally 4-5 working days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

You don't need a receipt for apple, they can't tell it's age by the serial number also the iPhone 5 has not been on the market for a year yet so any of them will still be under warranty. If nothing was done to the phone damage/water/jailbreak etc then apple will just replace it for a new (refurb) one. If you don't want to be without a phone then you can request an express replacement service for €29 (has to be arranged over the phone). Apple will send you a new one and you give the old one to the delivery guy. Beside the €29 cost apple will take a security of around €600-700 on your card until they receive the old phone back and have established it as a genuine warranty claim (if not they may charge up to approx €240).
    You can also just send it in and wait for the reply of apple if you want to avoid a surprise bill, this would be free if genuine claim, but without phone for around a week.
    If you're close to Belfast it's easier to just go into apple store for a straight swap.
    Good luck!

I hope you have a backup of the phone cause none of the data on the phone will be recovered.

Edit: basically what deep1 said... ;-)

jaysus that's great deep1,thanks a lot for the info.
    hopefully it's not water damage.

• Advertisement

flyguy wrote: »
    and have established it as a genuine warranty claim (if not they may charge up to approx €240).

that's interesting flyguy,that's the price he was quoted today by the crowd he left it in with.
    thanks for the replies lads.

That's the out-of-warranty repair price of apple. The exact amounts can be found on the apple website, but as in the name it only applies if it is not covered by warranty which should not be he case here. I think it is a coincidence though as most phone shops use their own repair service and -as you can read in many topics here already- you should avoid these and go direct to apple if stil under warranty.

i'll have to ask him what exactly they said to him on the phone today,could it be that they were offereing to send it to apple and were just advising him that he might have to pay 240 euro if it is an out of warranty fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

Have you tried holding the power and home button at the same time?

willah wrote: »

don't know to be honest,i'll ask him.

• Advertisement

If he has the phone get him to try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Yeah, first step is try hard reset as mentioned above and then DFU mode if doesn't work.
    Restore will fix it and hope he has backup.

willah wrote: »

Wow it would be amazing if this works, it's always the first thing I suggest in case of problem but they've already taken it to a (repair) shop... If the shop didn't try a reset would say a lot about the shop...

You don't need the receipt for an apple product. When you use it for the first time you activate it. This is the date that apple use. They can tell by the serial number when it was activated and the warranty starts.

If he phone wont power on the serial no is on the back of the phone in small print. You will need this number when ringing apple.

I had a problem with my iPhone 5 and I went to the apple store in Belfast. Walked out with a reconditioned phone 15 minutes later. You need to book the visit called a genius appointment.

From my previous post the genius appointment was not a typo. It's what apple call an in store appointment with a technician.

very helpful folks,thanks a lot for all your replies.
    just thought genius appointment looked a bit strange.:)

Let us know how you get on.

i asked him what exactly is wrong with the phone and he said the button on top is broke so i can't imagine the warranty will cover that.
    no wonder he can't turn it on..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

i asked him what exactly is wrong with the phone and he said the button on top is broke so i can't imagine the warranty will cover that.

If he plugs it in to the charger it will turn on itself. Apple more than likely will replace provided the phone isn't battered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

deep1 wrote: »
    2nd option is free, you send ph first and apple fix it and send you back, normally 4-5 working days.

The second option is free, but apple just take your phone and verify it's not working. They will send you a new phone, just as in option 1. You just need to wait longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,349 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Indeed. The word 'genius' has become somewhat devalued in recent times. These days it means 'works in a shop', apparently...

ok,so he finally got the phone back from the shop today so i had a look at it.the power button doesn't look broken/damaged at all but the phone definitely isn't switching on so hopefully the warranty covers it.
    i think we'll go with the 29 euro option cos it'll cost more than that to get up to belfast and back on the train.

just had an online chat with someone from apple,they're sending a box out to me and i'm going to send the phone back to them.
    thanks a lot for your help lads..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

the power button on i5 is covered under warranty. its a known fault that the button sticks or fails to work. you are getting quoted for a phone that is not in warranty (warranty expired or else physical/liquid damage)

neilmulvey wrote: »
    the power button on i5 is covered under warranty. its a known fault that the button sticks or fails to work. you are getting quoted for a phone that is not in warranty (warranty expired or else physical/liquid damage)

Ah sure no harm sending it back to them,if they say no they say no.

Advertisement