Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused

• 17-08-2013 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone! I am really stuck right now , i just repeated the leaving as i didn't get enough points last year for anything i wanted to do and this time i got more points than i even need i should be happy but..
    now i'm worried i don't want my first choice but i actually want my second choice! I'm aware that you only get offered your first choice (i'm hoping on monday i get my second) but as i already repeated i don't fancy waiting another year to apply to the cao again for my second choice.
    The main reason i don't want my first choice is that i have to move out of home , i don't want to leave my family and friends and i like living near the city ,i am afraid i will get lonely and depressed.I'm scared that i will take my first choice, hate living on my own but it will be too late! i can't waste my parents money like that..
    I understand that i need to make the decision but i would really appreciate any opinions or suggestions..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I am really stuck right now , i just repeated the leaving as i didn't get enough points last year for anything i wanted to do and this time i got more points than i even need i should be happy but..
    now i'm worried i don't want my first choice but i actually want my second choice! I'm aware that you only get offered your first choice (i'm hoping on monday i get my second) but as i already repeated i don't fancy waiting another year to apply to the cao again for my second choice.
    The main reason i don't want my first choice is that i have to move out of home , i don't want to leave my family and friends and i like living near the city ,i am afraid i will get lonely and depressed.I'm scared that i will take my first choice, hate living on my own but it will be too late! i can't waste my parents money like that..
    I understand that i need to make the decision but i would really appreciate any opinions or suggestions..

If you dont want to leave (provided you get your first choice) you'll have to wait the year or apply for something with a vacant space (it likely wont be what you want).

I dont mean to sound cold, but you will (likely) have to move out eventually. I moved out from September to May this year* and it was probably the best thing I ever did despite the cost, I had my own reasons for leaving for a while but anyway.

College will be overwhelming (if it's not in some capacity, you're weird :P), but if you make any sort of effort you will make friends. In all likelihood you will lose contact with some of your friends from before college, which sounds terrible but you will make new friends too.

I'm not telling you what to do, just suggesting that maybe moving away and taking yourself entirely out of your comfort zone might be a good thing. College is full of people who'll be in the same situation, being afraid of getting lonely and down is pretty rational, but it's up to you to fix that when it happens. Also, remember, we live on a tiny island, no city is a million miles away, you'll be able to visit your friends and family.

*Floating around atm because I'm waiting on CAO results too and surrounding myself with people in the same boat is sort of calming :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Fad wrote: »
    If you dont want to leave (provided you get your first choice) you'll have to wait the year or apply for something with a vacant space (it likely wont be what you want).

I dont mean to sound cold, but you will (likely) have to move out eventually. I moved out from September to May this year* and it was probably the best thing I ever did despite the cost, I had my own reasons for leaving for a while but anyway.

College will be overwhelming (if it's not in some capacity, you're weird :P), but if you make any sort of effort you will make friends. In all likelihood you will lose contact with some of your friends from before college, which sounds terrible but you will make new friends too.

I'm not telling you what to do, just suggesting that maybe moving away and taking yourself entirely out of your comfort zone might be a good thing. College is full of people who'll be in the same situation, being afraid of getting lonely and down is pretty rational, but it's up to you to fix that when it happens. Also, remember, we live on a tiny island, no city is a million miles away, you'll be able to visit your friends and family.

*Floating around atm because I'm waiting on CAO results too and surrounding myself with people in the same boat is sort of calming :P

thanks very much for the reply :)

Advertisement