Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repeating leaving cert - rules

• 17-08-2013 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

Does anyone know about any rules for repeating leaving cert?
    I wish to repeat mine and I wonder if I can combine my points from one year and the other :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

michellee wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know about any rules for repeating leaving cert?
    I wish to repeat mine and I wonder if I can combine my points from one year and the other :confused:

You cannot combine points from two years, points are recieved from one sitting! but you can keep subject requirements, if you pass maths the first time and that is needed for your course ,you have the requirment so you don't need to sit maths again if you don't want to but you won't get those points next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 michellee

So it seems to me like I'm repeating all my LC subjects again :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

So it seems to me like I'm repeating all my LC subjects again :mad:

well look at the requirements for the courses you want if any of your subjects are not needed as a requirement and you didn't do great in it ,you could always drop it and take up a new subject.

I did 7 subjects (all higher level except engineering). Unfortunately I failed English, passing it is the requirement for all the courses. I don't do Irish so they can take my Irish grade instead of English... If I will do only English next year, I won't have enough points for my course. So I have to repeat 6 subjects, I won't do engineering.

I have just one more question :D

What if I do worse next year than this year?? Will they take my old points and pass in English or take the new points?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You should also look at alternative routes into your course, ones that would not require repeating a year, such as doing a FETAC course in an area related to the course you want.

Yeah, I heard about that, but I prefer to repeat my LC...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

What if I do worse next year than this year?? Will they take my old points and pass in English or take the new points?

They'll take your highest points from any year, also with grades. If you fail something the year after, the'll take the previous passed grades. :)

So if I will fail maths next year, they will take the grade form the previous year but will not add the points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

So if I will fail maths next year, they will take the grade form the previous year but will not add the points?

That's it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

They will take the highest points from one sitting, and your pass in English to satisfy that requirement, even if they're different years.

Advertisement