Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband

• 17-08-2013 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Signing up the other day - for one of the Sky bundles (Phone & Broadband) was informed that due to my location (Ashford, Wicklow) there would be an increase of €10 to the cost (as per advertised bundle) owing specifically "for my distance from the exchange".

Sky are advertising a bundle @ €27.50 for the first 3 months then €47.50 thereafter. In my case they say it's €37.50 and then €57.50 "Connect" alternative. Line speed capability of 5.8mb. (Broadband price €20 - Phone package €37.50)

Following a lengthy discussion with a Rep - she informed me it was due to my 'distance from the exchange & or a sub-standard line'.

They could not tell me how far I was from the nearest exchange (I don't know either) to proof their argument. So the result 'just comes up on the screen' she says !

Just like the Rep had done I checked different (random) phone numbers on Sky's website: I have discovered that a line capable of receiving 14.4mb speed pay just €10 (broadband price). Alternately - a line capable of receiving only 4.6mb speed......wait for it - also pays just €10!!!! Why do I pay €20 for 5.8mb?

Question: If I have a (apparent) sub-standard line and have less bandwidth - why do I pay more - for less speed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would have thought its just because its not an unbundled exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭padser12345

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure what an 'exchange' is let alone an unbundled one. But the point remains, why do I pay more for a sub-standard line?

Because it costs them more to provide the service.

Shop around, there are better deals out there. My mother lives out in the country, and to have anytime calls and more than 2gb usage it was actually working out more than on eircom/sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭lockup35

@colmc_mc. How much more does it cost Eircom to run an ADSL1 exchange versus an ASDL2 exchange? Is it the cost of backhaul to these exchanges that makes them more expensive or the outdated equipment?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭padser12345

On the question of upgraded line.....What would the approximate amount of upgraded V's 'non-upgraded', be at the present time, around the country? Also, if you type in a phone number and happen to have a capability of 1mb speed.....you pay just €10. If that is regard as a sub-standard line....why don't they pay more?

• Advertisement

I don't think its a case of upgraded vs not upgraded or normal vs substandard. Its about whether the exchange is LLU or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Hey there I'm trying to set up a tplink router for my sky broadband but when entering the details I don't know what to put into the username, password, vpi, vci and connection type.
    Would really appreciate some advice please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Hey there I'm trying to set up a tplink router for my sky broadband but when entering the details I don't know what to put into the username, password, vpi, vci and connection type.
    Would really appreciate some advice please.

You might want to read this

Advertisement