Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I drop Business

• 17-08-2013 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

I'm starting my Leaving Cert year at the end of this month and I'd love to hear any advice that you may have on the following matter:

For Fifth Year I did nine subjects (two of which were outside of school). They are as follows:

Maths (H)
    English (H)
    German (H)
    Chemistry (H)
    Physics (H) - Outside of school
    Applied Maths (H) - Outside of school
    History (H)
    Business (H)
    Irish (O)

I had to take Physics and Applied Maths as subjects outside of school,(teaching myself), as they were not an option after subject choices had been originally made by my year.

Physics is my favourite subject and I'm a very scientifically/mathematically minded person - Hence why I took Physics/Applied Maths as extra subjects.

I dropped Honours Irish to have more time to focus on the above subjects. Also, I'll be applying to study Science next year, so it was not the most important subject to me.

I'm thinking about dropping Business when I return to school because I find it horribly boring and unstimulating. Despite this I am an A student in my class tests/exams. I could use the spare time to focus on my other subjects. The only reason I kept it up during Fifth Year was because I got an A in my Junior Cert and the teacher's expecting me to do well - I just hate the subject, though. However, I know I am capable of an A in my LC.

I'd appreciate anyone who could give me some advice on what they'd do in my situation. Do you think I should drop Business? Do you have any similar experiences?

Thank you sincerely for any replies. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

In general, I wouldn't advise taking 9 subjects, spreading your energies too thinly.

Actually, I would usually advise 7 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lorentzforce

In general, I wouldn't advise taking 9 subjects, spreading your energies too thinly.

Actually, I would usually advise 7 tbh.

Thanks so much for your response - I feel you're right - It's difficult to commit fully to each subject when doing 9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Hector122

do not drop business, easy to get good grade compared to some others!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

I appreciate that you're doing well in business, but having nine subjects in 6th Year is a very risky choice. The pressure around mocks/orals/practicals time is insane, and having extra subjects would make it even harder.

Would you not prefer to focus on 7 or maybe 8 subjects and do really well in all of them than to spread yourself too thinly in terms of workload?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

If you're confident with your other subjects, you should drop Business. Statistically, it's the one people do worst for in points (with the obvious exception of Ordinary Level Irish) and you don't really need that many subjects - specially if you don't even like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I wouldn't advise 9 subjects for the LC you be better off with 7 subjects. It's easier to motivate yourself with 7 subjects as 9 can be very stressful.

I did business for the leaving cert and I actually love business but the LC course just ruins it for me. If you don't like it then there is no point taking it on to 6th year as you'll feel demotivated to study it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I wouldn't drop Business ( it is quite easy to get a good grade in it)

Also I think one of the benefits of the Irish Leaving Cert system is that you have exposure to
    a variety of disciplines e.g. A Science, A Foreign Language, A Business Subject and an academic subject (History) as well as the Big 3.

I do think doing Chemistry, Physics and Applied Math is a lot of work, but Applied Maths I found myself to be somewhere between maths and physics and good for helping in both subjects. And very good if your doing those subjects in College

Advertisement