Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilcoole Gun Running Anniversary

• 17-08-2013 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

I don't know the details but it appears that this was an important historical event. I've asked born and bred Greystoners and they looked at me like I had two heads. Finally I know it is not made up because there is an anniversary tonight!

Anyone have more factual details?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

I don't know the details but it appears that this was an important historical event. I've asked born and bred Greystoners and they looked at me like I had two heads. Finally I know it is not made up because there is an anniversary tonight!

Anyone have more factual details?

You have probably been asking the wrong age group!
    There is a plaque at Kilcoole station/beach that tells you all about it, though must say haven't noticed it last couple of times down there, probably a case of familiarity breeds contempt....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kilcoole gun running

Hello their,we have a Facebook page set up, kilcoole gunrunning centenary, we have info up and are always adding more up,hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Is John Brady involved in the organisation of it?

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Is John Brady involved in the organisation of it?

Nope not in our one,I'm sure Sinn Fein will also do something for it next year,we have our own committee set up and are in the process of doing something really special for next summer,if you need information on the gunrunning I would be happy to send u on links etc,also like the page kilcoole gunrunnig centenary has a few bits on it ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Is it Going to be loads of People in Combats & Sunglasses? Or More of a Historical Celebration Than a Polictially motivated event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

These events are usually overtaken by the former.... I'd be interested in going along but not if it's just an opportunity for John Brady to get his face in the local papers.

We are a community based committee totally non political,we all have an interest in history,and hope to shine some new light on the gunrunning trough the weekend we have planned,from pop up museums to treasure hunts for kids and a whole lot more,u will find something for all age groups,

• Registered Users Posts: 1 barry.diskin

hi I doing my 6th year history research study on this topic and was just wondering if anyone could help me I need to obtain 3 sources I have one I need 2 more one of which being a book or if anyone has general information about the event I would really appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

hi I doing my 6th year history research study on this topic and was just wondering if anyone could help me I need to obtain 3 sources I have one I need 2 more one of which being a book or if anyone has general information about the event I would really appreciate it

I think theres a piece about in "The Squad" (by T. Ryle Dwyer)

• Advertisement
Advertisement