Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV System

Options
  • 17-08-2013 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hello all,
    My parents are looking into CCTV systems. Basically they need it for their own security. They want 5 cameras: 4 for each corner of the house + 1 for front door. I have spare 22" LG HDMI screen so I don't need sets with monitors. I use Linksys X3000 at home (Smart Internet) and it would be great if I could use any device to watch what's going on over Wi-Fi or even stream it over Internet when on holidays. I know from myself (I'm the IT guy) that first thing to buy would by NAS(server) HDD because of still recording and "normal" HDD's would die after a year or so.
    I was looking into ready sets on Amazon and found that:
    6 camera set. Our friend would buy the same 4 camera set and buy 1 camera off us. Anyways any adivces what is the best to buy? Our budget is 400-500€ tops. I'd like to buy it over Internet from trusted reseller, or maybe somewhere locally in Donegal (Letterkenny area)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Why would "normal" HDD die after a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madmax92

TOMP wrote: »
    Why would "normal" HDD die after a year?
    When it's working 24/7/365 all mechanical parts would just wear after a year maybe 2 ;) So it's better to get HDD that's designed to work 24/7/365 instead of drive that's for home use :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Decent manufacturers use more reliable drives that last the pace.
    I have had one running non stop for the past 4 years.
    If they go within a year they are still under guarantee. The very odd time Ive had issues in such a short time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 madmax92

I need some system anyways :P Any advices?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fran83

madmax92 wrote: »
    I need some system anyways :P Any advices?

Try domar solutions on the net. Good quality and a low cost. I have used a lot of stuff from them and never had a problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement