Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows xp won't connect to router!!!!

Options
  • 17-08-2013 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Hi I recently got a new tp-link router and my Sony vaio windows xp laptop just won't connect to the router. It keeps asking for the network key and when I put in the correct key it says "the network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration..." I have for passed the network key a few times and it randomly says my status is connected but I still can't access the Internet. I have checked all the properties of my network and they seem to be perfect. This laptop used to connect fine with my old Vodafone modem but ever since I got this router it won't connect. My iMac computer connects perfectly but not my laptop. Help plz!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Its possible that the wifi card, or maybe XP, can only handle WEP encryption, but the router is using WPA. Try updating XP, or get updated wifi driver. Or connect with cable to router and downgrade encryption to WEP on the router (not recommended, WEP is easy to crack)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mobydopy

How do I update my Xp???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Go to control panel and see automatic updates .

But you should also upgrade your Sony drivers .- Go to the Sony website and see driver downloads .

It will look something like this page .

http://www.sony.ie/support/en/product/VGN-BX397XP/downloads/EP0000221850_5126

Choose your make and model and upgrade

how can I go on the link website if i have no access to internet??? I have no other windows laptop/desktop. I have a iMac. Is there any way I can download the windows xp update on the iMac and put it into the laptop using a usb???

how can I go on the link website if i have no access to internet??? I have no other windows laptop/desktop. I have a iMac. Is there any way I can download the windows xp update on the iMac and put it into the laptop using a usb???

You can do that for updated wifi drivers from the sony site, or you can connect to router via ethernet cable if you have one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

All you need to do is reducing the encryption strength.

Log in to your new router and change from WPA2 (default on consumer routers today) to WPA. If that doesn't work, go to WEP. If all fails, disable encryption and it will most certainly work. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Torqay wrote: »
    If all fails, disable encryption and it will most certainly work. ;)

Please don't do this :o;) .

Nick

Well... if your next neighbour is a mile away, who cares. :)

What I'm saying is, set the encryption of the router to a level compatible with the old laptop. Yes, Windows XP SP3 can do WPA2, no problem... as long as the hardware supports it.

Are you able to download the windows xp update on a iMac computer and using a USB put it into the windows xp laptop and get the update. I tried updating it on the iMac but it didn't download properly and instead this weird text write thing came up. Any help

• Advertisement

Forget about updating this or that for the moment. Work on your router and change the type of encryption.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Hi I recently got a new tp-link router and my Sony vaio windows xp laptop just won't connect to the router. It keeps asking for the network key and when I put in the correct key it says "the network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration..."

Firstly what is the model number of the Viao ? What is the model number of the router ? Could save a lot of time if you provided these basic pieces of info in your original post. In the Wireless configuration settings of the router look at what channel width is set to. Some older wifi cards require this to be 20MHz only but a lot of new routers will be set to 20/40MHz.
    My iMac computer connects perfectly but not my laptop. Help plz!!!!!

How is the Mac connected ? With a cable or Wireless ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Connect via wired and your problem is sorted until you update your drivers.

My iMac is connected wirelessly. My windows xp laptop won't.
    Here is more info on the Sony vaio laptop and router.

Sony Vaio Model number: PCG-4D1M
    TP-Link Router number: TD-W8980

If I log onto my router and change the encryption to what will suit my Sony Vaio Windows XP laptop will I still be able to access Internet on my iMac???

You don't want this. WEP is broken security. You want to update your Sony WIFI drivers.

If I log onto my router and change the encryption to what will suit my Sony Vaio Windows XP laptop will I still be able to access Internet on my iMac???

Yes, but you will have to reconnect once you change the encryption settings and/or wireless security key.

If it is set to WPA2, start with the next lower option, WPA.

If the hardware does not support WPA or WPA2, a driver update usually does not solve the issue. Unless the manufacture offers a firmware upgrade (which they rarely do) there isn't much you can do. Switch to a lower level of encryption, replace the WLAN adapter, get a mini-USB WLAN adapter (make sure it supports Windows XP)... or connect your old WLAN router again.

OP, can you not just use a cable to connect, as was mentioned earlier. Don't get hung up on the "no connect over wifi" problem until you update drivers.

RangeR wrote: »
    Don't get hung up on the "no connect over wifi" problem until you update drivers.

If your wireless network controller is the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG, you can download updates until the cows come home... it will never support WPA2, only WEP and WPA.

If your wireless network controller is the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG, you can download updates until the cows come home... it will never support WPA2, only WEP and WPA.

Both of which are not "secure"

RangeR wrote: »
    Both of which are not "secure"

Which apparently didn't concern the OP much with the old router... ;)

I am trying my best to update the Sony vaio driver. How do I do it on an iMac for my windows xp laptop

• Advertisement

I am trying my best to update the Sony vaio driver. How do I do it on an iMac for my windows xp laptop

Download and save it onto a an external drive (has to be formatted with the FAT32 filesystem or else Windows XP canot read the drive). Connect the external drive to the laptop. Install the driver.

This, however, will not make the Intel Pro 2200BG WLAN adapter compatible with WPA2 encryption. Face it: a 7 year old laptop with a Pentium M processor is not cut out for the latest and greatest in wireless secuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

OP do you have one of these?

10_-CAT-5e-Ethernet-Patch-Cable-600x600.png

• Registered Users Posts: 68,973 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its probably not his wifi drivers, XP doesn't support WPA2 without a hotfix, it IDs the network as WEP.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1974

MYOB wrote: »
    Its probably not his wifi drivers, XP doesn't support WPA2 without a hotfix, it IDs the network as WEP.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1974

Windows XP Service Pack 3 does support WPA2.

This hotfix is for older versions of Windows XP only.

Download and save it onto a an external drive (has to be formatted with the FAT32 filesystem or else Windows XP canot read the drive). Connect the external drive to the laptop. Install the driver.

This, however, will not make the Intel Pro 2200BG WLAN adapter compatible with WPA2 encryption. Face it: a 7 year old laptop with a Pentium M processor is not cut out for the latest and greatest in wireless secuity.

So if downloading an updated Sony vaio driver won't help me connect to the router, then what do I do. I can't connect it directly to my router using an Ethernet cable.

What other options do I have to connect my Sony Vaio laptop to my TP-Link router

Can you clarify a few things, before we go any further?

Which version of Windows XP is installed on your laptop? (right click My Computer > Properties > General)

Can you tell us which WLAN adapter you have? (Right Click My Computer > Properties > Device Manager. Click + Network Adapters)
    What other options do I have to connect my Sony Vaio laptop to my TP-Link router

Option 1 (the quick fix and cheapest solution): choose a lower encryption level in your new router (which is most likely set to WPA2 by default).

Option 2: Replace the WLAN adapter inside the laptop.

Option 3: Simply add another WLAN adapter (i.e. a Mini-USB WLAN dongle) and use this one instead.

So if downloading an updated Sony vaio driver won't help me connect to the router, then what do I do. I can't connect it directly to my router using an Ethernet cable.

You could, from the Mac, set the wireless security to WEP or off temporarily (highly insecure/not recommended, at least disable the SSID in settings so it's not obvious to people not actively looking for open networks), connect to the network by entering the SSID (network name) in the connect to wireless network dialog, install updates and reenable wireless security asap.

Edit: Instructions page 49 here.

TheChizler wrote: »
    You could, from the Mac, set the wireless security to WEP or off temporarily

The WLAN adapter does support regular WPA-PSK, why use WEP or no encryption???

The WLAN adapter does support regular WPA-PSK, why use WEP or no encryption???

Simplicity. Of course still not good practice.

• Advertisement

I have gone with WEP security on my Sony Vaio and now i have great internet access with my TP-Link router. Can someone explain why it is not the safest option.

btw thanks for all the help!!!! :)

It's much less secure. Basically if someone wants to break into your network, they can do it in potentially less than an hour. Get your system updated and upgrade security to wpa or wpa2!

Advertisement