Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows xp won't connect to router!!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

WEP encryption has long since been compromised.

Understanding WEP Weaknesses... for Dummies (love the series). ;)

You might try WPA-PSK, this should work just as well and is somewhat safer. If you want to use WPA2, you'll have to upgrade the hardware, there is no way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

xp requires service pack 3 installed to be able to connect to a wifi network that uses wpa2 psk encryption

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

TheChizler wrote: »
    Basically if someone wants to break into your network, they can do it in potentially less than an hour.

More like 10 minutes ! T'was a hobby of mine a few years ago. Unless you've got an old Eircom Router that uses WEP - then it only takes seconds.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ZENER wrote: »
    More like 10 minutes ! T'was a hobby of mine a few years ago. Unless you've got an old Eircom Router that uses WEP - then it only takes seconds.

Ken
    Ah but that was only if they never changed the default SSID and password, and who wouldn't do that these days? :rolleyes:

Never managed myself, tried on an isolated network I set up, but couldn't get a single unique IV. Patience and the effort required to go past the default Macbook hardware and Kismac were my downfall.

Advertisement