Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shubunkin Problem ?

Options
  • 17-08-2013 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Have a Shubunkin that is a few years old, and seems to be dying but not sure why. i have a 40L tank with just the two fish in it and i clean it regularly and add stress coat to the water . It started with his (Fancy) Tail kind of flopping and its not as stable as it was . past few days hes been at the bottom and not interested in food. I'm feeding him by hand at the minute. Anybody know what might be causing it and a solution would be great before its too late. if i do have to put him out of his misery Clove oil or Freezer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

i have a 40L tank with just the two fish

That's your problem. That tank isn't big enough for one fish, never mind two.

If you can't move him and treat him, I would recommend clove oil to put him out of his misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭martinburke

Tropheus wrote: »
    That's your problem. That tank isn't big enough for one fish, never mind two.

If you can't move him and treat him, I would recommend clove oil to put him out of his misery.

Sorry it's 40gallon not litre .
    Done a water test . Nitrates were fine . Ph was 7.5 water hardness was extreamly high . Temps were high last week . I'm in an apartment and find it hard keeping it cool . It peaked at 27c.

Had to put him out of his misery .

Only have this fella left :(

Ok, 40g is much better.

I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature. I presume it's filtered? I would try and get as much surface agitation as possible to keep the oxygen up. When temperature rises, dissolved oxygen in the water decreases.

When you say the water is very hard. How hard? Goldfish prefer water on the harder side so this shouldn't be an issue.

Do you think any of the water parameters changed very quickly over the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭martinburke

Tropheus wrote: »
    Ok, 40g is much better.

I wouldn't worry too much about the temperature. I presume it's filtered? I would try and get as much surface agitation as possible to keep the oxygen up. When temperature rises, dissolved oxygen in the water decreases.

When you say the water is very hard. How hard? Goldfish prefer water on the harder side so this shouldn't be an issue.

Do you think any of the water parameters changed very quickly over the last few days?

On the test strip it was at the hardest possible . dark Blue . I have a stingray filter which I position in a way that it airates the water . The larger fish loves swimming through the downwash too.

Test strips aren't very accurate. You're better off with a good liquid test kit. However, I certainly wouldn't be concerned about the water hardness where goldfish are concerned. Stable parameters are more important where pH and water hardness are concerned rather than the actual readings themselves.

You should consider just leaving that fish on his own. Adding another could cause you more problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement