Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL Advice

Options
  • 17-08-2013 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

I'm currently working in a good job- though I'm not even in my mid-twenties yet and would love to travel and experience different parts of the world for maybe 2 years. Maybe eventually I could even go on to do my current job in another country. Hence I'm interested in TEFL, maybe kind of selfish- but I can't pretend to have an undying need to spread the english language.

I've got a very good degree however it's completely unrelated to languages and to be honest while I think I could be an ok teacher i wouldn't say i'd be a 'natural'...

Anyway what routes should I follow to achieve this? Can it be done whilst working full-time (I have a months worth of annual leave saved up...), are jobs in Europe available, I think my CV is quite good.

Any help greatly appreciated, just started thinking about this seriously. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Maybe if you have a better idea of where you want to go then you can start planning.

Some countries will require that you have a recognized qualification which is more expensive and takes longer.

Do you know where you want to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 letssee7

Maybe if you have a better idea of where you want to go then you can start planning.

Some countries will require that you have a recognized qualification which is more expensive and takes longer.

Do you know where you want to go?

Europe or central/south america.

For some reason I wouldn't feel so comfortable about asia- I feel the culture is probably too different for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I would recommend doing a CELT at a good language school. It will give you some idea of whether or not teaching is for you, and if it is for you, you'll have some decent training too.

Please don't do one of those 40 hours online courses which teach you nothing - look at something like this:
    https://www.ces-schools.com/Dublin/51/celt-acels-approved-course-ces-dublin-

• Registered Users Posts: 44 letssee7

osarusan wrote: »
    I would recommend doing a CELT at a good language school. It will give you some idea of whether or not teaching is for you, and if it is for you, you'll have some decent training too.

Please don't do one of those 40 hours online courses which teach you nothing - look at something like this:
    https://www.ces-schools.com/Dublin/51/celt-acels-approved-course-ces-dublin-

Cool! Will definitely look at this. I guess whether or not I go down the route it's something that would probably be a valuable experience.

Unfortunatly it seems all my annual leave will have to be devoted to this, surely theres a course of 8-10 weekends out there somewhere!!

Advertisement