Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Great" games that just never did it for you

• 17-08-2013 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Are there any highly popular/acclaimed games that everyone else loves but you just can't seem to get into?

My choices: (forgive my sins)

Red dead redemption: I enjoy this game, especially its setting but I find the missions to be repetitive (kill the bad guys while in some sort of chase) and not all that challenging. Otherwise you're just doing a lot of horse riding or doing boring stranger quests collecting herbs or feathers or whatever.

Maybe if I got more immersed in the storyline I'd enjoy it better

Metal gear solid 4: Not gonna lie, didn't give this game the chance it deserves - played it for two hours, got bored, went out and traded it for Oblivion (great game!)

FIFA: I like football, but don't get the obsession my friends have for this game. Seems to be the same thing every year but with slightly updated graphics and players. The real best football game? Actual football!

So what about you guys?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider are my 2 most recent offenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Red dead redemption: Agreed, enjoyable, but nothing amazing for me.. you can put GTA IV in that bracket to, but worse than RDR.

Metal gear solid 4: I gave it the time... a long, long, long, LONG time... most boring game in the world, hours of cut scenes that you cant skip, spent most of the time not concentrating and moving the analog sticks to move the camera and zoom in and out.

FIFA: I don't do single player or the Ultimate team thing, or even any online for that matter, its great fun when you are playing with 2-4 players together in one room. Otherwise I don't play it.

And to add for me...

Oblivion and Mass Effect, just couldn't really get into them, maybe its just because I'm a little older now and I haven't got the time to invest in them that they really need. I dunno.

EDIT: Forgot to add Max Payne 3... Loved the old ones... only played through about half of 3... tried going back to it again... couldn't do it. Too boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Never got into Bioshock either... any of them... really enjoyed the latest Tomb Raider though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,083 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Final Fantasy VII: I'll never understand why this gets the praise it does. Very simplistic battle system, grammatical errors, racism and a very dull plot after the wonderful Midgar opening somewhat ruined it for me. It's a fun game with a wonderful soundtrack but nothing special, especially when compared with Final Fantasy VI.

Half Life 2: A very solid shooter but too clichéd for me to enjoy it too much. I've no idea why this is constantly being rated as the best game of all time.

Grand Theft Auto IV: Just seemed to be lacking the character the previous games had in spades. Couldn't get into it.

Oblivion: Was really getting into it until I got bogged down in the insane amount of pointless sidequests. The combat system needs a serious overhaul as well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Skyrim. I think I was just burnt out on fantasy RPGs having played Dragon Age for the first time a few months beforehand. Just felt like the same game to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Assassins Creed 2 - Trying my best to play it through after the free download on XBL but it's just so monotonous. I now remember why I traded it in a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Really? I loved Skyrim, although I love any Bethesda RPG! I'm thinking of getting Batman Arkham Asylum soon and I'm worried it won't live up to its acclaim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Skyrim is the most obvious one, horrible combat, hundreds of pointless quests, rambling dialogue I couldn't care less about and the world was too expansive and empty

Dead Space is the only other one I can think of, I can see why people like it but for whatever reason it just never clicked with me, tried to get back into it a few times but ended up just giving up about half way through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Oblivion. Lasted three hours and just got increasingly pissed off until I turned it off and never went back.

Assassin's Creed 3. Killed the series for me. Was really enjoying it up until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Assassins Creed 3 was wayyyy over rated.I was a fairly big fan of the series but the 3rd one had turned me off from ever buying another one.

World of Tanks.I can't understand peoples fascination with it. It bored the ****e out of me and the graphics are dull.It reminds me of a real old man or Dad game but yet millions of people are addicted to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Bioshock. Played the first one for 2/3 hours. The general setting, vibe, art style, plot just bored me. It just shouted "look at me, look at me, Im so artsy and cool" Left it. Recently tried Bioshock 2 - exact same result. Just does nothing for me. Ive decided against bothering with Infinite until its going for peanuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

The stalker series never did anything for me, I just couldn’t get into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Really? I loved Skyrim, although I love any Bethesda RPG! I'm thinking of getting Batman Arkham Asylum soon and I'm worried it won't live up to its acclaim

I should probably elaborate a bit.

From a technical point of view I could appreciate that Skyrim was great - huge open ended world, loads of stuff to do, good story, etc, etc.

But I put about 300 hours into Dragon Age and loved it. When it came to Skyrim, the story just didn't grab me. It just felt like the Dragon Age formula rehashed with only the names changed (i.e World is in grave danger from an ancient evil that's resurfaced. You have an ancient power in you that can defeat said ancient evil and you haven't realised it yet. Elves, dwarves, etc, etc, etc). I also know that Dragon Age probably rehashed the Oblivion story or something.

So I guess I just don't like fantasy RPGs anymore because they all feel the same, rather than Skyrim in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The Witcher series.

The potential was there, the characters were there ... but the combat never clicked. Especially the second one. I just hated it. Which is a pity, I love RPGs. This though? No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

At the moment, The Last of Us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Borderlands 2

Thought this game was really over hyped. I enjoyed the first but the sequel just felt like more of the same and was more like an expansion.

Couldn't understand the love this game got at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,591 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Dead Space. Played it on PC, atmosphere was good, controls were horrible and awkward. Uninstalled it after a few hours, never looked back or at any of its derivatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Any of the Halo games after the original. Gears of War: Judgement just destroyed that series for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

for myself

Skyrim - beautiful game ain't going to lie though, I found it very boring, loved the combat system, loved all the classes and how you could forge weopens and make potions. But in the end i think the story killed it for me, i got about half way through and just gave up, got sick of looking at snow all the time as well. Game is great though just couldnt get into it :( which kinda made me sad, got it for free off a mate so il try finish it out but i got it off him a few months ago and still havnt turned it on so that says alot really.

GTAIV , boring. very dull looking game, characters were terrible, very repetitive imho but oh well hopefully the next wont dissapoint :)

Fifa13 I have owned every fifa since it was released, ( I was a child when they were released ) so i basicly grew up playing it every year, and I loved it every year until this year, I bought fifa 13 on release, played it for a month and traded it in because I just kept raging and I wasnt having fun. Then stupid me got a feeling to play some fifa again so I ended up buying it AGAIN, then less then a week later I traded it in again.
    The AI in it are terrible, even your own AI squad for online play, also the constant getting Rainy matchs for online is horrid, makes the gameplay so unrealistic , I get rain in matchs like 80% of the time even if my team is located in spain haha. so I might just be about done with fifa from now on

Im sure their are more cant remember any at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Bioshock Infinite and Skyrim. Bioshock had great art, but I didn't like the shooting, or the AI. Columbia wasn't a patch on Rapture. The dimensional resupply and weapons were just silly. I prefer the setting and mechanics of latest in the Fallout series than Elder Scrolls. I wish they brought back the open world that Morrowind had. You could jump over walls using magic rather than have towns with only one gate and invisible boundaries. Not being led by the hand was also something Bethesda abandoned in their attempt to move RPG's into the realm of console games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I'm glad i'm not alone on those two. I loved the original bioshock, didnt think much of the second and the third i wont ever play again after the first playthrough, which wasn't very long anyway.

Tombraider's QTE's bugged the life of that game out of me. I probably would have continued playing and enjoying it aside from those. Felt more like a resident evil game than a lara croft game :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

The Witcher 2 - covered my reasons in the "Games you've completed in 2013" thread, but to recap - the narrative framework was so idiotic and the plot so weak that my expectations, heightened by so many gushing reviews, were crushed. Thought the attempt at "mature" humour/situations was a tad lame as well, came across as a bit juvenile. For me it was a mediocre game, but nothing special.

Borderlands - thought it was a fine game, but again, nothing special. The art direction was cool though!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Zelda games in general. They just never really appealed to me, great or not.

I was never a fan of the Fifa games, but then I don't really see how it can be considered a great series anyway.

As good as I thought Skyrim was, I don't think it was as good as the Fallout games. It's something myself and a friend disagree on a lot, Elder Scrolls v Fallout really.

Halo series, it did absolutely nothing for me. I got really annoyed when they announced the new trilogy, and they just won't let it die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Dragon Age..which is extra strange because i'm mostly a HUGE Bioware fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Dragon Age..which is extra strange because i'm mostly a HUGE Bioware fan
    Oh yeah, forgot about this one - definitely agree, thought that this game was pretty underwhelming considering the hype. The plot / world just seemed soooooo generic. I had zero interest in getting the second game as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Dead Space series: tried to get into it and played 1 and 2 but gave up after about 4 hours into each as it was just boring and the same stupid monsters jumping out at you ala Doom 3

Borderlands series: they just felt like an MMO game with NPC's

Far Cry 2: again it felt like an MMO with the whole respawning enemies syndrome that I hate which also put me off FFVII and System Shock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Half Life + sequel: Just cannot get into them no matter how much I've tried over the years. I'm not an FPS fan but I thought I'd enjoy it more than I did.

RIFT: I generally can get very into an MMO for a few weeks at least but I could never get into this game despite it having most of the things I want in an MMO.

Bioshock II: I enjoyed the first one quite a bit, I never made it past midway on a playthrough of the sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Oblivion. Lasted three hours and just got increasingly pissed off until I turned it off and never went back.

This is a sign of good taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Meatwad wrote: »
    Assassins Creed 3 was wayyyy over rated.I was a fairly big fan of the series but the 3rd one had turned me off from ever buying another one.

Not really overrated by gamers thats for sure, bloody awful & broken with some of the most tedious missions ever divised.
    The only way BioShock Infinite let me down was the original premise where you'd have to use Elizabeth's powers sparingly & there were consequences if you relied on them too much. And that Elizabeth was very unique in that she who would do something out of the blue rather than follow a programmed routine, more exciting than the safer game we got.
    Games I couldn't get into a big one was Little Big Planet, for a platformer the jumping was just too floaty for my tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Oh and Minecraft..maybe that's just because i'm really uncreative and never have any clue what to do lol

Advertisement