Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to get into shooting but I'm afraid I'll be refused a licence.

Options
  • 17-08-2013 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hello all.

I recently got to try my hand at some clay pigeon shooting, and I absolutely loved it. Never before had I shot a gun, or even thought about getting a gun in my life. But after this experience, I'm thinking of applying for a licence and joining a club or something.

I understand I have to take a one day safety course of sorts before I'm allowed to apply. Am I correct?

That aside, I noticed this section in the application form: http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/fca1%20firearm%20certificate%20application%5B2%5D.pdf
    Do you suffer from, or have you been diagnosed or treated for any medical condition (physical/mental) that may affect your ability to possess, carry or use firearms, safely?

If “Yes” please provide full details.
    Note
    : Answering “Yes” in this section, does not necessarily mean your application will be refused but it may lead to further enquiries
    Note
    : By completing and signing this form you are giving consent to An Garda Síochána to make further enquiries as to your medical history if they deem it necessary in making their decision on whether or not to grant this application
    I'm afraid I will be refused as I was diagnosed with depression in 2010, and still suffer from depression, although not as badly. I can manage quite well and live a normal life, but I'm just nervous the superintendant will strike me off completely when he see's this. Or will ask me to visit my GP, where I will have to tell him that I've been a bit anxious lately and its acted up a small bit over the summer.
    Which will only make my GP recommend I dont get one either as I'll be deemed a risk or something.

I've also been diagnosed with a pervasive developmental disorder. But its not really something that impacts my life anymore, nobody would even realise I have one. It was a different story during my teenage years though (now 21).

Any feedback will be appreciated. :)

What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cushcam

i think you should go for it as you'll never know otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭tosspot15

cushcam wrote: »
    i think you should go for it as you'll never know otherwise

Oh of course I will. I was just hoping to get any info from you guys while I'm in the process of learning everything about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The simple, and somewhat crap, answer i or anyone can give you is we simply don't know.

Everyone is entitled to apply for a firearm (unless you are otherwise dis-entitled). The Superintendent will have the final say. On the FCA1 (application form) you are required to provide the details of your GP, and any other doctor or consultant you have attended due to a condition or illness that is relevant to your owning a firearm. Failing to report them may be considered a false declaration so deciding not to disclose them thinking this may help your chances may backfire.

Depression can be a factor against being granted a license if it's deemed your may be at risk to yourself or others. If the application was put under such scrutiny and your GP was required to provide a detailed report he will always air on the side of caution knowing full well a "all clear" from him/her may cause legal issues down the road if something happens.

I'm skirting the delicate issue of mental health issues for fear of saying something inappropriate so excuse any unintended insult or vagueness in specific areas.

As i started off saying no one can answer for sure what way your application will be treated. Even those that have had similar issues cannot answer for sure due to differences in districts and individual cases. So while a short, to the point answer, as was said above all you ca do is apply, follow any requests for further information and see how the application goes.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »

Depression can be a factor against being granted a license if it's deemed your may be at risk to yourself or others. If the application was put under such scrutiny and your GP was required to provide a detailed report he will always air on the side of caution knowing full well a "all clear" from him/her may cause legal issues down the road if something happens.

This is exactly it. No GP or Superintendant will want to take that risk! But we'll see how things go, I may just be overthinking things. I'm going to talk to a gun shop soon to see if they can give me any pointers about setting up and learning.

Thanks for the advice. I'll post any progress in due course.

tosspot15 wrote: »
    ............. pointers about setting up and learning.
    On that front i'd advise you go to a few places and keep trying it out. The novelty of shooting can last or wear out pretty quickly. It's a great sport to get into, but you need to consider if it's something you'd like to get into before making any commitments such as gun, license, etc.

For example on the FCA1 9application form) you need to provide a good reason for wanting the gun. If you say clay pigeon shooting you need to provide membership of a range/club that caters to this. If you want to go for hunting then you need to provide either membership to a hunting club or individual permissions from various land owners.

Non of these options are hard, but can take work, and will cost money. Add to that the initial cost of a gun, license fees and possibly a safe (if the Super deems it necessary) you are looking at a low estimate of €800 to get started. This can climb fairly quickly depending on your choices. So range membership, a more expensive gun, etc can turn this €800 figure into €1,500 / €2,000 / €3,000 etc. Granted the majority of that cost is in the gun you choose.

Go to a few ranges that cater for shotguns. Try out the various guns, and traps on offer. If you want to go for a gun of your own, by all means ask for opinions, but DO NOT go alone. bring someone along that is familiar with different brands, makes and models. So not accept the first thing offered to you. Check for fit, comfort, and usability. This is why it's important to have someone that knows a few things. They can tell you if you are being told things to sell a gun or that are actually of benefit to you.

None of what i say is designed to put you off, but be aware of what is necessary before you dive in. It's not as simple as pick a gun, get a license, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement

On that front i'd advise you go to a few places and keep trying it out. The novelty of shooting can last or wear out pretty quickly. It's a great sport to get into, but you need to consider if it's something you'd like to get into before making any commitments such as gun, license, etc.

For example on the FCA1 9application form) you need to provide a good reason for wanting the gun. If you say clay pigeon shooting you need to provide membership of a range/club that caters to this. If you want to go for hunting then you need to provide either membership to a hunting club or individual permissions from various land owners.

Non of these options are hard, but can take work, and will cost money. Add to that the initial cost of a gun, license fees and possibly a safe (if the Super deems it necessary) you are looking at a low estimate of €800 to get started. This can climb fairly quickly depending on your choices. So range membership, a more expensive gun, etc can turn this €800 figure into €1,500 / €2,000 / €3,000 etc. Granted the majority of that cost is in the gun you choose.

Go to a few ranges that cater for shotguns. Try out the various guns, and traps on offer. If you want to go for a gun of your own, by all means ask for opinions, but DO NOT go alone. bring someone along that is familiar with different brands, makes and models. So not accept the first thing offered to you. Check for fit, comfort, and usability. This is why it's important to have someone that knows a few things. They can tell you if you are being told things to sell a gun or that are actually of benefit to you.

None of what i say is designed to put you off, but be aware of what is necessary before you dive in. It's not as simple as pick a gun, get a license, etc.

I think the safe is one of my biggest worries. Why might the super deem it necessary or not to get one? Not really sure where I could store it, aside from the lockers in my room.

At the moment I'm mostly just interested in gun range and clay pigeon shooting. So I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to get membership of one nearby. There are 3 in total. At least one of those offers guns for hire I think. It's more of a sports centre, don't even think you need a licence, but it might be a good way to get some practice.

If you wish to continue shooting in facilities that offer the gun and shooting then the thread is kinda pointless as you don't need to worry about being refused if you are not going for a gun/license.

However if you want a gun of your own then you need to familiarise yourself with all the necessities.

The Super may deem a safe, alarm, and a host of other security measures necessary. It's their call. However s/he may also deem that the gun broken up and stored in separate places with a trigger lock is enough. Again that is up to the Super. The laws surrounding firearm security are annoying to say the least. There is no definitive guide as to what is enough and the differing security levels per amount of guns is pointless as they are all classed as minimum. Meaning the Super can impose stricter security measures regardless of the amount or type of gun(s) you own.

If you wish to continue shooting in facilities that offer the gun and shooting then the thread is kinda pointless as you don't need to worry about being refused if you are not going for a gun/license.

However if you want a gun of your own then you need to familiarise yourself with all the necessities.

Well, the idea would be to get the hang of shooting and maintaining/handling guns in a facility that offers the gun and range to me. But obviously I'd want to get a gun of my own when I feel comfortable enough.

Sorry if I'm coming across as stupid, I'm totally new to all of this and am slowly piecing the bits together.

One last question and I'll stop bothering you: Whats the story with this one day course I hear about that you have to take for competency. Do I have to take this before I do any shooting, even at a range that provides the guns, or is that just for when I'm getting my own.

Hope I'm not getting ahead of myself here.

Shooting as a sport is a constant learning process so don't worry about questions that may seem stupid. You only learn from asking.

As i said above, the novelty of shooting can wear off quickly so learning this before you fork out any money on a gun or membership is a good thing. So by all means keep up the shooting until you make a final decision.

As for the competency course. It's a course that some stations require before a license will be issued. It is covered under the FCA1 application under section 2.5 9i think). The idea behind it is that you have attended a course and been taught the proper and safe handling of a firearm. It is for people who have never handled a gun or even a certain type of gun before. It can be avoided if you can supply proof of previous history with firearm usage, etc. However this may or may not accepted and is a little more awkward than providing the certificate from such a course.

The courses differ in length and topic depending on who runs it and what they cover. Most NGBs (National governing bodies) run a course as do ranges, associations, and even some gun dealers. Most all of them are accepted, and provide you with said certificate upon successful completion of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

First things first, go talk to the other stake holders in this situation ie the Garda and your GP and see what they say. Talk to the two individuals you are going to use as referees.

A few questions: your age and your residency? If you don't own or rent your own place you may have problems especially if your under 18.

Do some ground work as Cass suggests, equipment costs, insurance, license fees and ammo cost all add up. Clay shooting can be quite hard on the pocket.

Who did you do your initial shooting with, try going out with them for a while prior to full commitment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

One last question and I'll stop bothering you: Whats the story with this one day course I hear about that you have to take for competency. Do I have to take this before I do any shooting, even at a range that provides the guns, or is that just for when I'm getting my own.

Great to see you like shooting.

The course is part of getting your own gun licence.

You're good to go at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Well, the idea would be to get the hang of shooting and maintaining/handling guns in a facility that offers the gun and range to me. But obviously I'd want to get a gun of my own when I feel comfortable enough.

Sorry if I'm coming across as stupid, I'm totally new to all of this and am slowly piecing the bits together.

Hope I'm not getting ahead of myself here.

Don't ever feel stupid for asking questions,a real fool is someone that doesn't know and won't ask.

Have you contacted your local gunclub ?,as most have traps/clay pigeon days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

Put the license in, make sure you tick all the relevant boxes because the last thing you want is to be called up on why you didnt tick this or tick that... Just because you have been diagnosed with depression in the past doesnt mean you wont be granted a license. You may be called for an interview with the FO and he may just want to see how things are going for you and just to ask a few routine questions and may require you to get a letter from your doctor on your current state of mental health (sorry if Im wording it wrong, Ive had family members with depression so I know what its like)

Dont be worrying at all, just put the application in and see how it goes. Stay positive about it ;)

Advertisement