Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Future of Wayne Rooney

• 17-08-2013 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭

I think this picture today sums up his obvious discontent at United.

BR5DNx-CQAA_m_w.jpg

Now, while one must praise him for his performance off the bench today, the question must be asked if Moyes is happy to have such an unhappy player at the club?

Also, do United have a set price in mind and is that why they have refused Chelsea's two bids, or is it just a point blank refusal to sell him to another PL club, after seeing exactly what can happen as they bought RVP last summer?

Next weekend when United play Chelsea will be very interesting if Rooney is told to play or comes off the bench!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Was this not the goal where he got crocked from behind while passing to Wellbeck and took a while to get up while everyone else was celebrating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Was this not the goal where he got crocked from behind while passing to Wellbeck and took a while to get up while everyone else was celebrating?

Nope this is from the RVP one. Welbeck celebrated next to the goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

No that was this one.

BR5CvZYCQAEv-wk.jpg

OMG Valencia and De Gea want out too!

Rooney is in a sulk, but he won't be sold to Chelsea. He can either get over it and cheer up or be like Eeyore from Winnie The Pooh, as long as he contributes like he did today I dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Whatever about Rooney's immediate future with Man U, I cant see him staying beyond the Jan 2014 transfer window..

Utd would be nuts to sell to Chelsea at any price. He could be the difference in them winning the league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If the Falcao story is true, Monaco can take Rooney on loan for year and buy him next summer! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Even the papers are contradicting themselves now :rolleyes:;
    Sunday Times
    Wayne Rooney betrayed his continued determination to leave Manchester United by refusing to celebrate with his team after helping to create the second of two brilliant Robin van Persie goals as United eased to a 4-1 win at Swansea in David Moyes' first Premier League match in charge.
    Sunday Express
    David Moyes reckons the returning Wayne Rooney moved a step closer to staying at Manchester United after his "incredibly committed" display in their romp at Swansea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

He got 2 assists in 30 minutes yesterday, he can sulk all he wants for all I care. Once he starts playing regularly all will be well.

Also, that pic in the OP is meaningless, there's probably countless similar pics from his time at United. I only see 6 players celebrating, is everyone else sulking too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Even the papers are contradicting themselves now :rolleyes:;

Not really. The first is an opinion expressed solely by the journalist, whereas the latter is simply relaying a statement expressed by Moyes, who naturally will portray the Rooney situation as good.

I hasten to add, that even if the two different quotes you posted were both expressed as opinion, then they still wouldn't be contradictory, as they are from two different newspapers who would have different slants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He got 2 assists in 30 minutes yesterday, he can sulk all he wants for all I care. Once he starts playing regularly all will be well.

Also, that pic in the OP is meaningless, there's probably countless similar pics from his time at United. I only see 6 players celebrating, is everyone else sulking too?

Come on, it really isn't meaningless. It's obvious there is discontent there right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

He was probably one of the nearest Utd players to RVP when that goal went in if i remember correctly. Rooney made a darting run and RVP buried it.
    I would say that pic tells alot actually. He is clearly unhappy

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

If I was Rooney, I probably would have done the same. He'd probably feel like a fool and he'd attract more attention if he did start celebrating. I'd feel awkward doing it in his position. If he is staying, it'll probably take a while for things to settle back down and for him to be comfortable as part of the group. If he is going or thinks he might be going, he'd look like a knob celebrating.

Damned if he did, damned if he didn't there. Nothing to be learned from it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Rooneys too good to be sitting on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Imagine you are as petulant as Rooney appears and one of the things that is annoying you is that someone else is getting all the attention. How would you expect someone like that to react when he helps that more favoured person score?

He is acting like a spoiled child but I don't mind as long as he contributes. I think it even helps him perform when he has his back up like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Rooney is moody but he'll get over his current huff; it's not like the Suarez situation; that's gonna be Shakespeare for some time to come! :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think its time Rooney left, but not to a competing club in the league. This is his second time that he has sought to move away from United, the first was in relation to lack of ambition by United and perhaps money. United go and get a player who is unstoppable at the moment, and Rooney is left out in the cold. Partly, it appears, due to lack of match fitness and other players performing better. I would suspect his relationship with Fergie never really recovered, and perhaps some of the background team also feel that way.

No one player can be bigger than any club. You pick a team that performs well and performs consistently. Sometimes you are on the bench, sometimes you get 90mins. If Rooney was more in form than I doubt he would be kept on the bench.

The way he is behaving at the moment is disrespectful to the club and to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Sully wrote: »
    I think its time Rooney left, but not to a competing club in the league. This is his second time that he has sought to move away from United, the first was in relation to lack of ambition by United and perhaps money. United go and get a player who is unstoppable at the moment, and Rooney is left out in the cold. Partly, it appears, due to lack of match fitness and other players performing better. I would suspect his relationship with Fergie never really recovered, and perhaps some of the background team also feel that way.

No one player can be bigger than any club. You pick a team that performs well and performs consistently. Sometimes you are on the bench, sometimes you get 90mins. If Rooney was more in form than I doubt he would be kept on the bench.

The way he is behaving at the moment is disrespectful to the club and to the game.

2 assists and nothing public from him.. yep, hugely disrespectful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If Arsenal seriously persue him United would possibly be more inclined to let him go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I don't think Arsenal will pay his wages. But I do think United would be more likely to let him join Arsenal.

Not a chance Arsenal would pay 250k a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

:cool:
    Rooney is moody but he'll get over his current huff; it's not like the Suarez situation; that's gonna be Shakespeare for some time to come! :pac:

I disagree, I think Suarez is a lot less likely to let off the pitch stuff effect his on pitch performances. He's certainly going to agitate for a move again but I don't think he's the kind to sulk - especially in a world cup year.

I wonder will the Utd fans in balaclavas be out in force again!

Not really. The first is an opinion expressed solely by the journalist, whereas the latter is simply relaying a statement expressed by Moyes, who naturally will portray the Rooney situation as good.

I hasten to add, that even if the two different quotes you posted were both expressed as opinion, then they still wouldn't be contradictory, as they are from two different newspapers who would have different slants.

It was clearly meant tongue in cheek considering how often the papers change their spin on Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

NUTZZ wrote: »
    It was clearly meant tongue in cheek considering how often the papers change their spin on Rooney.

Foot in mouth, more like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Wouldn't be overly concerned by the pics tbh, in one of them he had just been taken out and was only after getting back to his feet, Ill forgive him not sprinting to celebrate in both given his lack of fitness tbh. The image of Valencia walking away in a similar manner in one photo should kind of put it into perspective. Not a big deal. He may want a new challenge, he has not stated anything either way publicly and even if he does want away, he will get over it. Its a world cup year, he is hardly going to sabotage his chances of playing in it is he?

If the right offer comes in, from the right club and the right replacement could be got then Id be ok with it. As it stands no way in hell should he be sold, he is way too important to the team.

mitosis wrote: »
    Foot in mouth, more like

I wasn't contrasting the two papers, I was referring to the fact that the week previously the same paper said Rooney would never play in a United shirt again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not a chance Arsenal would pay 250k a week

Wenger said before they could. Whether they would when it came down to it I don't know.

JPA wrote: »
    Wenger said before they could. Whether they would when it came down to it I don't know.

I think Wenger just says what the fans want to hear. 250k would seriously upset their structure and squad members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Where did the whole 250k/week thing come from? I always assumed it was 180-200k/week.

• Advertisement

Owen_S wrote: »
    Where did the whole 250k/week thing come from? I always assumed it was 180-200k/week.

It's always reported around that figure, like this piece from The Guardian;
    With incentives, Rooney's current deal makes him the Premier League's highest paid footballer with earnings of about £300,000 a week. Of this the basic salary is close to the £250,000 mark. But following the trend of other Premier League clubs, United will not wish to offer such a high base-level again to the player who agitated for a move to rivals Manchester City in October 2010, only to be persuaded by Ferguson to stay.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Owen_S wrote: »

Sure it went up to about 325k a week at one stage this summer :rolleyes: started at about 175k originally and keeps getting further "estimated"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Mad to think that if his wages increase from 150k to 250k, his take home pay will only go up from 80k to 130k. Though this is certainly in the territory of 'luxury problem' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

:cool:

I disagree, I think Suarez is a lot less likely to let off the pitch stuff effect his on pitch performances. He's certainly going to agitate for a move again but I don't think he's the kind to sulk - especially in a world cup year.

Season 4, Act 6; It will be interesting to see what he comes up with! :pac:

Advertisement