Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good G.P

Options
  • 17-08-2013 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi folks, I hope I'm not flouting any boards.ie rules by asking this, but can anyone recommend a good GP for anxiety and related issues?

I've been on the same dose of Lexapro for the past 4 years (!) - I went on it for anxiety after a very rough spell, and not long after went to college. In the four years, my doctor never asked me if I wanted to come off it, or offer any alternative - counselling, etc. To be fair, I didn't want to rock the boat by coming off it while I was in college.

I want to come off the medication now - I can handle the anxiety (I still get it - I think the pills have crapped out on me after all this time). However, I've read up on the withdrawal symptoms of coming off Lexapro, and it's scared the s**t out of me. So I really want to take it slow, and I'd like a doctor who'll sort out a plan for me to come off them safely. I asked my GP about this, and he just said that it's nearly autumn now, and not to come off them at this time of year (:confused:), and just gave me another prescription for three months! He could care less.

Sorry about the essay guys, but I just wanted to give you some background! Has anyone had to come off medication like this? Can anyone recommend a good GP in Cork, one who's got a sound understanding of mental health, and gives a crap about their patients? Thank you x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Came off them there in May, didn't consult my doctor and in hindsight probably should have. No withdrawal symptoms to speak of, I phased them out over a couple of weeks though. For reference, my GP is Clare McCarthy in Wilton, very caring and understanding. Felt like she genuinely was trying to find the most appropriate solution for me. Gave me very good references for a CBT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lemieux

Thanks for the recommendation!
    That's great that you didn't get any withdrawal symptoms. I'm just wondering if it's worse coming off them if you've been on them for a long time like me...?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Lemieux wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendation!
    That's great that you didn't get any withdrawal symptoms. I'm just wondering if it's worse coming off them if you've been on them for a long time like me...?

Couldn't tell you for sure, switched to them about 9 months previously. It varies for everyone I think. GP would be able to advise on the best method.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lemieux

In theory...! My GP is seriously useless, when it comes to these sort of matters. :rolleyes: Anyway.

Must. stop. ranting.

Thanks again for the rec, really appreciate it!

If anyone else wants to weigh in with their experiences, please do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I have heard Dr Paul Deasy is very good. He takes a special interest in that area and is training for a CBT qualification. He is also one of the doctors in CIT taking a special interest in mental health. I have never been to him myself so think he is near the city. Heard of him from a good source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mountain

Dan Hinds in Bishopstown, is highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭masadjie

+1 for Dr Paul Deasy. He was my GP before I left Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Dr Susan McLaughlin on Patrick St is amazing, had such a bad experience with other GPs but she is crazy thorough and makes sure that you're definitely all covered before you leave the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Anerak

Can anyone recommend a goof GP out near Mahon Point / Blackrock area?
    I know there are different practices in Blackrock down near eden are they any good?
    Would really appreciate your help as I have just moved into the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Anerak wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a goof GP out near Mahon Point / Blackrock area?
    I know there are different practices in Blackrock down near eden are they any good?
    Would really appreciate your help as I have just moved into the area.

Micheal Shannon at the Blackrock primary care centre, use him for myself and my kids for years & he's been terrific. He's part of the Silverdale practise that relocated there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement