Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013/14 MOTD Thread

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

MOTD with their own fancy reply technology. Cute. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

The first clip of every game always seems to focus on some penalty claim. Surely there's someone out there that can talk tactics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

MOTD with their own fancy reply technology. Cute. :)

It's the Tesco value version of the Sky studio. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its going to be a quiet night on MOTD, they might actually have to do some proper analysis ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

mike65 wrote: »
    Its going to be a quiet night on MOTD, they might actually have to do some proper analysis ;)

Doubtful, probably just show a load of long passes that weren't accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Owen and Savage today...Christ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Careful indeed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Pretty funny quip from Lineker re jack hunt, funniest thing I ever heard him say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I'd say Lineker thinks Savage is a total schmuck. Putting him in his place all night.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Bizarre no calls by the refs in the Cardiff - Everton and Norwich - Southampton games earlier. Think Savage was right about Baines one, he was looking for it but Medel was asking for it with such a rash challenge.

Kudos to Ben Afra and Pennant for their winning goals.

Hansen retiring I read in Bleacher Report. Word from the man himself -
    I’m retiring from Match of the Day at the end of the season. I will have been there for 22 years and will be 59, so it’s the right time for me.

The guys at the BBC know me and I said, ‘Look, this is categorical. I’m leaving and nothing will make me change my mind’. I am contracted to do the World Cup and I will do that as it will be a good way to go out, but I have had a great run.

I’ve been in football for 41 years and I’m going out right at the top, just as I did at Liverpool. The plan was always that I would retire at 55. I kept going, but I finally decided to retire during Euro 2012.

I had just signed a two-year contract and felt that, by the end of it, I would have had enough. But I have worked for a great organisation with wonderful people on the most fantastic programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Finally decided that he earned enough money for old rope

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Pity. He's always been good when analysing the defensive side of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Jaysus, didn't think he was 58, looks well to be fair.

Never had the privilege of watching him play but the fact my dad was nearly going to name me Alan because of him says enough really! Always enjoyed his analysis on MOTD will be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Id say the beeb are happy hes going after his crazy wage demands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Why can't it be Shearer :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Danny murphy should be on more. I've been impressed with his analysis so far, very well spoken also.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Pity. He's always been good when analysing the defensive side of the game.

Agreed. I'm by no means a fan of his on BBC, but his comments on defensive situations is alright. Guilty of being cliche heavy, but so are all of them on there but for Murphy and Dixon when he was there.

Hansen owning Owen last season was my highlight of him.

Why can't it be Shearer :(

That's how I look at it. It should be Shearer and Lawro fecking off completely first and foremost. Then John Motson on commentary and as he does my head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That's how I look at it. It should be Shearer and Lawro fecking off completely first and foremost. Then John Motson on commentary and as he does my head!

I think Lawrenson's taken a smaller role this year, not small enough (ie none) but it's a start. I enjoy Motson myself, with his overenthusiastic sqeals :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Roy Hodgson is on, could be a bit of needle ;) (nah!)

Utd supporters can stay up late, this week its not a horror film!

Sun/ManU,
    ManC/Eve,
    Liv/CP,
    Car/New,
    Ful/Sto,
    Hull/AV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Graphic described Hodgson as the All time PL Topscorer. ;P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Panel discussing the possibility of Januzaj playing for England. Jesus wept :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Paully D wrote: »
    Panel discussing the possibility of Januzaj playing for England. Jesus wept :pac:

Loved the hard hitting review of Joe Hart's attempt at saving Lukaku's goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well according to Wiki:
    Adnan is eligible to represent Belgium, through birth, Kosovo and Albania, through his parents, Turkey and Serbia, through his grandparents, and England, through residency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Irishkop Banner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

God I hate shearer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Well according to Wiki:

I know that, but Belgium are arguably a better team at the minute and certainly will be when Januzaj has a few more years under his belt.

I'd be amazed if he chose to represent England over them and discussing it after one game is typical of the dross infested punditry on that show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I know that, but Belgium are arguably a better team at the minute and certainly will be when Januzaj has a few more years under his belt.

I'd be amazed if he chose to represent England over them and discussing it after one game is typical of the dross infested punditry on that show.

Just goes to show the lack of talent similar to Januzaj coming through for England that they're up to that kind of straw clutching on MotD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

1234465_10201347563470090_1857610453_n.jpg

those interviews that Linekar does are so fake looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

God I hate shearer

I can't stand him either and i'm a Mag. He's an awful, awful pundit. A real channel changer.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Well according to Wiki:

Not the point though. Is this how far the country that has invented football has fallen? While you couldn't blame any nation for trying to approach such talent, it would seem that if England continue to try paper over the cracks time and again that they are ignoring the real issues as a football nation. All well and good poaching the next best thing from another country but how about they actually stop talking about emulating a Germany or a Spain style production system and actually attempt to do it.

Until they try and and actually create a system where fluid albeit hardworking players thrive and filter out the 'kick it long to the big lad' coaches then their national team will always be perennial losers that are continuously harangued by the media for yet another flop. Nationalising foreign players could prove to be the thing that gets England to pull themselves up by the bootstraps or it could signal an era where England have eventually no homegrown players because their media crazy youngsters are just not as good as the foreign counterparts.

For years the likes of Sam Allardyce and Tony Pulis were revered for their up and atom football and were universally lauded on how they used nullify Foreign Arsene Wenger's fancy Dan's but Arsene Wenger has celebrated his 17th years as Arsenal manager this week top of the table with a team on top form and the club in a considerable healthy financial state while Tony was unceremoniously removed from his role at Stoke last season and continues to seek a new job and big Sam continues to go from job to job in his futile quest to eventually become England manager.

The graphics man on MOTD must be continously drunk at work. A few weeks ago he had the wrong names to the wrong faces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Isn't it the case that he's not eligible quite yet for England though? I thought it would take more time for him to become eligible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

what is the BBC's obsession with premiership stats - every game Linekar introduces , with some stupid stat , and then that even stupider cheshire grin.
    Stats are fine in moderation , or when needed for some particular milestone, but not every feckin game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

cson wrote: »
    Just goes to show the lack of talent similar to Januzaj coming through for England that they're up to that kind of straw clutching on MotD.

He's a Belgian born Albanian, why would he even think about playing for England or why would the English be thinking of picking him?, at least our 'Nordies' who opt for us are Irish or the 'Granny rule' players like Townsend or Paul Green have some linkage however tenuous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

dd972 wrote: »
    He's a Belgian born Albanian, why would he even think about playing for England or why would the English be thinking of picking him?, at least our 'Nordies' who opt for us are Irish or the 'Granny rule' players like Townsend or Paul Green have some linkage however tenuous.

England would consider picking him because desperation is a wonderful thing.

Money would be the main reason he might consider England. Advertising and Sponsorship deals would be much more lucrative there than Belgium. Might be easier to get a game for England too!

Saying that once the Belgians live up to their potential and win the Euros or world cup, sponsorship won't be a problem for any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

It looks like he would have to wait until he was 23 to play international football for england if I am reading the below right...

See Article 7.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affe...tutes2012e.pdf

7 Acquisition of a new nationality
    Any Player who refers to art. 5 par. 1 to assume a new nationality and who
    has not played international football in accordance with art. 5 par. 2 shall be
    eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfi ls one of the
    following conditions:
    a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
    b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of
    the relevant Association;
    c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the
    relevant Association;
    d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of
    18 on the territory of the relevant Association.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

dd972 wrote: »

So if a young Nigerian kid that only came here in his early teens say, turns out to be the new Pele we'd say "no thanks son, off you go back to Nigeria and play for them" . Would we ****.

He may decide to play for England after spending years there or , most likely , will play for Belgium. It's a bit sad to be deriding English football for picking a top quality foreign lad that qualifies for them. Even moreso just for just discussing the possibility when the man that's currently in the job that would involve picking said young lad happens to be on your show.

Saying that once the Belgians live up to their potential and win the Euros or world cup, sponsorship won't be a problem for any of them.

As long as it doesn't take 40 odd years to live up to that promise like Spain.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,064 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You could have cut the tension between Lineker and Hodgson with a knife last night.

Advertisement