Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please recommend an unusual/weird fiction book for someone who usually reads non-fict

Options
  • 17-08-2013 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am looking for a recommendation for an unusual./weird book. I usually read non-fiction books, authors like james gleick, Richard Dawkins, bill bryson. I am looking to get into a well written non fiction book that will make me think. I have an interest in the unusual/disturbing/weird so anything along those lines would be great.

Thanks in advice for the recommendations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Douglas Coupland and Haruki Murakami are both pretty offbeat. Will Self is amazing but his prose is fairly dense. Might be best to start with his short stories. I really enjoyed A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,463 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

can I suggest russell hoban?

Either ' the lion of jakem boaz'
    Or 'amarylis night and day'

Not too huge reads, but a good introduction and progression to metaphysical stories from a physical base.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd suggest I'd suggest something by Iain Banks, either non-science-fiction or science fiction as Iain M Banks

Some Isaac Azimov stories are good, the I robot stories or novels are recommended

+1 for Asimov's I Robot stories, they'd be a great introduction to sci-fi but for an unusual non-fiction book I recommend Spook - Science Tackles the Afterlife by Mary Roache. It's very humorously written and an offbeat read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Hi op, can you just clarify are you looking for fiction or non-fiction? There's a discrepancy between the thread title and your post. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

dello1234 wrote: »
    I have an interest in the unusual/disturbing/weird so anything along those lines would be great.

Thanks in advice for the recommendations

Umberto Eco, 'A clockwork orange', most sci fi books are weird http://scifilists.sffjazz.com/lists_books_rank1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jonathon Strange and Mr Norell is great, save it for winter though, I read it during that major cold snap a while back where all the waterpipes froze and there were power cuts, really enhanced it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Infinite Jest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. You can't get much weirder than a man having a relationship with someone who has a beetle for a head ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

The Diceman by Luke Rhinehart would definitely meet your criteria of an unusual/disturbing/weird read.

also + 1 for Haruki Murakami (Kafka on the Shore would be a good starting point).

Oryx & Crake by Margaret Atwood is also excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. You can't get much weirder than a man having a relationship with someone who has a beetle for a head ;)
    Brilliant book, so many good ideas in it, the ambassador from hell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

On the sci-fi theme, Neal Stephenson writes intricate, well-researched books. Rather long, but you might try his Cryptonomicon, which is about information and its value, encryption and secrecy, all wrapped up in a story that jumps between WWII and the present. A lighter read is his Zodiac, a thriller with an ecological theme.

Someone mentioned Iain Banks. His The Wasp Factory remains the most disturbing book I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Ian Harkaway's The Gone Away World. It will totally fcuk with your head.

As will House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski, but in a totally different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Cormac McCarthy. Try "The Outer Dark".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Cormac McCarthy. Try "The Outer Dark".

+1 for anything by Cormac McCarthy his fiction often has an underlying realism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Some of David Mitchell's stuff might interest you, OP, particularly Ghostwritten and Cloud Atlas. Second Margaret Atwood's Oryx & Crake. The follow up, The Year of The Flood was also very good and the third is due out at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

I second the Iain Banks recommendation- both The Wasp Factory and Complicity,and his last book The Quarry are all excellent-I'm reading Transition by him at the moment, and its mightily weird, but very good, as well.

daithi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Lorenzo the Magnificent

The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Filth by Irvine Welsh.

It's certainly unusual/weird

• Registered Users Posts: 19 marsn

Fight Club or Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Filth by Irvine Welsh.

It's certainly unusual/weird

If we're talking Irvine Welsh, try Marabou Stork Nightmares while you're at it :D

Advertisement