Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a good Digital Photo Frame?

• 18-08-2013 12:03am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I've been trying to found a good Digital Photo Frame. Having a hard time finding one that doesn't need to be connected to mains, something with batteries or something like that. Has anyone any experience in this area? I'd really appreciate any guidance or help. Thanks :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Tough crowd eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I bought one years ago, I also received one as a gift & have to say I found them very gimicky & end up unused... Same in business, I included them in some office and exhibition fit-outs and they end up not being used and looking like a mistake.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Awful tacky things.

If you must, just get a cheap tablet and run a slideshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Augmerson wrote: »
    Tough crowd eh?

I was reluctant to post as I really think they are really dreadful yokes. Tacky as they've been described above. I've seen many of them in operation - they were a last days of the celtic tiger gift that you usually gave someone that had everything else gift wise and you didn't know what else to get them. But that's only my opinion.

Personally, I'd put my money into a small number of decent prints of your prized images. Everything else can go into a facebook album.

I can guarantee you that you'll want those prized images hanging on your wall for a lifetime while within 3 years (probably) you'll put that stoopid digital frame thing into the attic or worse still down in the recycling centre. IMHO better investment in a good quality decent print.

Sorry.

:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Thanks for the advice and input guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi guys, to save opening a new thread. My parents just redecorated their sitting room and don't want to hang up the pictures on the walls again. They had about thirty eight by ten pictures dotted around the wall. I've offered to get them scanned and get a digital picture frame for them for Christmas. I know most people don't seem to like them but it would be a neat solution for them. Can anyone recommend a decent ten inche one?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The only 10" screen you're likely going to find is a tablet. As above those awful things have fallen out of popularity and I doubt you're going to find one with a good quality screen. The colours will seem wonky depending on which angle you are relative to it - unless you want to mount an IPS panel somewhere.

A digital photo frame is more of a harsh light source than anything else and will be a distraction in a dark room. A single good photograph can define a room. Find an image that they like with a frame that suits both the room and the image. It will be a much more timeless addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

A bit more expensive than the norm. Have one for nearly two years. Excellent device. And one of the few that has a true shuffle (random play) function.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hi-Res-Digital-Photo-Frame-Memory/dp/B003VUW34M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1382471197&sr=8-4&keywords=nix+frame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭micks_address

apologies in the delay getting back but i was away for a week. I ended up picking up a secondhand kodak frame. I agree with you re a nice photo, but they have about thirty pictures of various occasions (8 by 10) - graduations, weddings, christenings etc.. and they were unwilling to put up the existing frames again.. the kodak i got was originally priced at 200 euro or more but i picked it up for 30 euro on donedeal.. its perfect for what they want.. not the highest resolution but the colour reproduction is decent (i am fussy about colour reproduction)

we got the photo's scanned and stuck on a memory card and its grand.

http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Easyshare-M1020-Digital-Picture/dp/B001FMXWA2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383315252&sr=8-2&keywords=kodak+m1020

i was looking at more expensive ones on amazon but this will do them for now.. of course we've kept the orginal photos and frame if they ever decide to put them back up again!
    5uspect wrote: »
    The only 10" screen you're likely going to find is a tablet. As above those awful things have fallen out of popularity and I doubt you're going to find one with a good quality screen. The colours will seem wonky depending on which angle you are relative to it - unless you want to mount an IPS panel somewhere.

A digital photo frame is more of a harsh light source than anything else and will be a distraction in a dark room. A single good photograph can define a room. Find an image that they like with a frame that suits both the room and the image. It will be a much more timeless addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Gonna dredge this guy up. Several friends have recommended digital photo frames to me - any more up to date advice out there? I'm guessing we've come a long way since 2015. I'm not looking for anything as big as ten inch, but something with an independent power supply and a decent shuffle function would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I haven't seen one in use in over 5 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I use wifi enabled frames, they are great, simply email any image directly to the frame from anywhere. PM sent...

Gonna dredge this guy up. Several friends have recommended digital photo frames to me - any more up to date advice out there? I'm guessing we've come a long way since 2015. I'm not looking for anything as big as ten inch, but something with an independent power supply and a decent shuffle function would be appreciated.

Very few have random shuffle function for some reason. Watch for that one. The Nix frames are one of the few who do:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Nix+frame

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mayo jonny

hey, im looking for a decent digital photo frame, thinking about 10 inch screen so its not lost in the room and minimum 120 ppi. what are peoples experience with them and what would they recommend. Thanks

Mayo jonny wrote: »
    hey, im looking for a decent digital photo frame, thinking about 10 inch screen so its not lost in the room and minimum 120 ppi. what are peoples experience with them and what would they recommend. Thanks

I refer you to my post above.

Advertisement