Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferring a course

• 18-08-2013 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm thinking about deferring my course for a year because I got a very good job offer and I was wondering a few things about deferring. First off, If I deferr my course this year and the points go up next year will I still get my course and is it true you need a valid reason to deferr such as financial reasons

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SolitaireX

If you defer your course and the points go up it will make no difference, once you have accepted the offer and arranged for it to be deferred you're in regardless of what happens on the CAO side of things. As for providing a reason I don't believe you need to provide a reason but you'd need to check with the college to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Deferring is grand and they will keep a place on the course for you. You wont be affected by points changes.
    You don't need to give a reason really but most will ask you for one almost to see if your really interested in the course.
    Many people defer for financial reasons, earn some money, medical reasons, travel, work abroad for a year to learn a foreign language, help out with the family business lots of reasons
    Some colleges will regularly communicate with you through the year (most wont!)
    Many find they change their mind during the year and don't take up a deferred option which I believe is why many colleges are suspicious of deferrers

It maybe of benefit to try and hear what people doing the course is to help prepare yourself for it, hit the ground running although I know it would be difficult.

Advertisement