Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Windows Key Sticker?

Options
  • 18-08-2013 1:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I have a Samsung Netbook running Windows 7 Starter and it needs a new install. It has a recovery partition but I'd rather not recover from that as the amount of junk bloatware that will come in on it really slows it down.

I want to install it from a Win 7 usb drive and add the key manually for a clean install but the problem is that the sticker underneath has lost the key and it is totally unreadable. It is running very slow and needs a format and restoring Samsungs bloat back into it will not solve the problem.

Any ideas on how to get the key back or would Microsoft help me out on this? When I contacted Samsung they told me it should be sent away for them to wipe it and reinstall for me.

I can do it myself but unfortunately the key got wiped off it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

You could try finding the key using a keyfinder program. Some are listed here.

The safer option would be to restore from the recovery program and use pcdecrapfier to get rid of the junk afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Get/borrow an OEM windows 7 Starter Disc and install it using the key that came with the disc.

Windows will not validate the key at the end of the install and will prompt you to do Online validation or ring MS using the phone number on the screen and validate the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

if you install and run Belarc Advisor it will list all Serial Keys for all programs on your system and then you can download the legal install and use your Key already using because there can be more then the windows licence that you forget about IE antivirus office products .....

look through the web page it opens and it will have a list of your Keys installed

Advertisement