Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most odious players in football

• 18-08-2013 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Which players do you dislike most or come across as the most annoying or irritating? I particularly dislike the sort of player who fancies themselves as 'hard men' but pick and choose who they square up to or commit a bad tackle against.
    These are the players who I particularly dislike due to their attitudes on the pitch.

Ben Thatcher
    Jody Morris
    Julian Dicks
    Neil Ruddock
    John Terry
    Callum McManaman
    Jack Wilshire
    John Obi Mikel
    Nigel Reo Coker
    Cesc Fabregas
    Marlon King
    Andy Todd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This won't last.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Odious is definitely the wrong word here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Are most of those players even "in" football anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Callum McManaman is a big 1 for me. Wilshere also.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

El Hadji Diouf.

I hate spitting

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

What has Jack Wilshere and Cesc Fabregas ever done to you OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

Joey Barton, the little wannabe hardman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Michael Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Sideshow Bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Ivanovic isn't called out often enough for some of the 'tackles' he makes.

• Advertisement

FearDark wrote: »
    What has Jack Wilshere and Cesc Fabregas ever done to you OP?

I'm wondering if the usual spitting accusation which never gets backed up with a source will be the reason for the Fabregas dislike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pats fans have a running #wankbag xi

We struggled for a keeper but the latest team is

........Mc gregor
    Cole..Terry Pepe Ramos
    ...........Barton
    Robben............Ronaldo
    ..........inesta
    ....Drogba ....Twigg

Manager Lennon
    DOF Daglish

This team is subject to change :)

This thread is not gonna last :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Suarez for me - basically a talented diouf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Odious....

New one for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You are still missing Roy Keane from the last time you made a list like this OP.

Jack 'The Lad' Wilshere is a decent shout though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Odious is definitely the wrong word here.

No it isn't. Just because you don't understand a word, that doesn't make it wrong.

Players of yester years.
    Gary Neville
    Denis Wise
    Paul Scholes

Players of today
    Ryan Giggs
    Rooney
    John Terry
    RVP
    Rio Ferdinand
    Frank Lampard
    Evra

• Subscribers Posts: 41,871 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The arsenal is really coming through in that post quazzie ;)

For me suarez and terry are two players who come across as two very 'odious' players and people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Funny how odious players typical play for clubs you don't support judging by this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Paul McShane

• Advertisement

And just like that, Jason Todd's post and the 2 that quoted it are gone like they were never here. Ok, in keeping within the rules...

Mine in particular are John Terry, Luis Suarez, Sergio Ramos, Joey Barton. I find them to be the most odious odiousities that are playing the modern game. Yep, they have no saving graces for me, stenching of odiousium they are. Shame that even when you reach the top of the world, some people will still always be odiousunts.

One that used to be on my list was Frank of the Lampards, but admittedly because I just didn't like him and not because he is truly odious. Then by chance, I heard first hand of a story involving Frank and a situation he dealt with involving people who were complete strangers to him a few years back. Basically they had something that he wanted, something so unique that even someone like Frank Lampard couldn't get this anywhere in the world but from these people, and it meant a hell of a lot to them also. But by all accounts he went about it as a gentleman, and was very humble and didn't at all act like I presumed he would in such a scenario, and it worked out very well for the 2 strangers. I remember feeling quite touched after hearing the story, and wrong in my previous assertion of the man. Frank is 100% in my book, even if he is the enemy!

But as for Terry, Barton, Suarez and Ramos, odious is the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

stankratz wrote: »
    And just like that, Jason Todd's post and the 2 that quoted it are gone like they were never here. Ok, in keeping within the rules...

Mine in particular are John Terry, Luis Suarez, Sergio Ramos, Joey Barton. I find them to be the most odious odiousities that are playing the modern game. Yep, they have no saving graces for me, stenching of odiousium they are. Shame that even when you reach the top of the world, some people will still always be odiousunts.

One that used to be on my list was Frank of the Lampards, but admittedly because I just didn't like him and not because he is truly odious. Then bypersonal lives. I heard first hand of a story involving Frank and a situation he dealt with involving people who were complete strangers to him a few years back. Basically they had something that he wanted, something so unique that even someone like Frank Lampard couldn't get this anywhere in the world but from these people, and it meant a hell of a lot to them also. But by all accounts he went about it as a gentleman, and was very humble and didn't at all act like I presumed he would in such a scenario, and it worked out very well for the 2 strangers. I remember feeling quite touched after hearing the story, and wrong in my previous assertion of the man. Frank is 100% in my book, even if he is the enemy!

Could the others redeem themselves if they carried out good acts in their personal lives.

stankratz wrote: »

One that used to be on my list was Frank of the Lampards, but admittedly because I just didn't like him and not because he is truly odious. Then by chance, I heard first hand of a story involving Frank and a situation he dealt with involving people who were complete strangers to him a few years back. Basically they had something that he wanted, something so unique that even someone like Frank Lampard couldn't get this anywhere in the world but from these people, and it meant a hell of a lot to them also. But by all accounts he went about it as a gentleman, and was very humble and didn't at all act like I presumed he would in such a scenario, and it worked out very well for the 2 strangers. I remember feeling quite touched after hearing the story, and wrong in my previous assertion of the man. Frank is 100% in my book, even if he is the enemy!

For every decent story, there are twice as many bad ones, like where he evicted the grandmother of his kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ryan 'Not a dirty player' Shawcross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Neymar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The same people who use the old cliches about Arsenal lacking bite and being soft are usually the same who moan about Wilshere

So contradictory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Pats fans have a running #wankbag xi

We struggled for a keeper but the latest team is

........Mc gregor
    Cole..Terry Pepe Ramos
    ...........Barton
    Robben............Ronaldo
    ..........inesta
    ....Drogba ....Twigg

Manager Lennon
    DOF Daglish

This team is subject to change :)

This thread is not gonna last :D

Is that Iniesta or Nesta?

Iniesta is one of the greatest players of his generation, a gent on the pitch and wonderful to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

dd972 wrote: »
    Which players do you dislike most or come across as the most annoying or irritating? I particularly dislike the sort of player who fancies themselves as 'hard men' but pick and choose who they square up to or commit a bad tackle against.
    These are the players who I particularly dislike due to their attitudes on the pitch.

Ben Thatcher
    Jody Morris
    Julian Dicks
    Neil Ruddock
    John Terry
    Callum McManaman
    Jack Wilshire
    John Obi Mikel
    Nigel Reo Coker
    Cesc Fabregas
    Marlon King
    Andy Todd

100% agree, i'd throw Rio Ferdinand in there as well; if i used the words i'd want to describe them, i'd get banned.

Not a player of course but i'd throw Sir Alex in there as an honorary member of your list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

What's people's beef with Rio Ferdinand?
    Bit annoying with all his Twitter and merchandise lark but hardly odious.
    Not a notoriously dirty player and doesn't hit the headlines for scummy behaviour. Wouldn't be anywhere near a long list for me if I was looking at it impartially.

• Advertisement

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Is that Iniesta or Nesta?

Iniesta is one of the greatest players of his generation, a gent on the pitch and wonderful to watch.

A gent on the pitch :pac: He's a renowned diver and imo a drugs cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

greendom wrote: »
    Could the others redeem themselves if they carried out good acts in their personal lives.

Take Terry off the list so, seemingly he helped one of his team mates wife with some problem she had, he spent a lot of his free time doing it as well fair play. He has also done a lot to promote anti racism in football, he should also be commended for that as well. And also, can you redeem him for his mother? She is a big Liverpool fan seemingly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

gareth bale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

gareth bale

That's not fair, Gareth has said, if a player even "attempts" to kick him he has a right to fall over ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

What's people's beef with Rio Ferdinand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

pretty obvious someone squared up to u while u were out last night

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

be very careful with this thread, nobody wants to warn, infract or ban people but remember Personal insults even against non boards members are against the charter and will be acted upon / reported if made (already have been for example)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Is Opius not a rapper? Or is that Otis??

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    Ferdinand clapping referee.
    Meh, that's hardly in the same league as the actions of the names being mentioned here, especially considering the context of what just happened in that game.

I'd reserve the word odious for serial cheats and general scummy behaviour.

Meh, that's hardly in the same league as the actions of the names being mentioned here, especially considering the context of what just happened in that game.

What about the pathetic way he acted when he was told he wasn't good enough to play for England any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Busquets. I don't even think I need to give a reason why

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,871 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Quazzie wrote: »
    What about the pathetic way he acted when he was told he wasn't good enough to play for England any more?

You mean before he was called back on the basis he was still good enough?

Roy the penguin was the main instigator in that issue

Quazzie wrote: »
    Again, I wouldn't lump him in with the the players here. Throwing your toys out of the pram is one thing...
    The thread is titled the "most odious".
    Maybe your criteria is different to mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is this not supposed to be based on on pitch antics?

Ferdinand embodies the downside of twitter (giving a public platform for opinions which should be contained as much as possible) but there are worse on the pitch.

Carles Puyol
    Scott Brown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I'm wondering if the usual spitting accusation which never gets backed up with a source will be the reason for the Fabregas dislike.

What is this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

What's the buzz with Ramos? On the pitch antics similar to Pepe or has he done things outside football that I don't know about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I'd reserve the word odious for serial cheats and general scummy behaviour.

He comes off as being highly dislikable both on and off the pitch.

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    He comes off as being highly dislikable both on and off the pitch.
    Fair enough, you're obviously entitled to your opinion. It's just a surprising inclusion to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

http://www.soccerquestions.net/blog/another-side-of-cristiano-ronaldo

Along with what's listed in this article along with things like always having time for fans who confront him be and incident like a fan running on to the pitch last week or that young Turkish boy lookalike outside the team bus a few months back... the fact that he doesn't drink due to the damage it did to his family (Father) ... selling his Golden Boot and donating the money to charity ... etc ...

Can't understand why Ronaldo is so hated? That said a lot of people seem to go with this Messi V Ronaldo attitude. If ya like one ya hate the other.

I know he dived and what not during his early days at United but he has cleaned up his act consoderably and matured in to the worlds best player imo.

By the way I'm a Liverpool supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

audman wrote: »
    http://www.soccerquestions.net/blog/another-side-of-cristiano-ronaldo

Along with what's listed in this article along with things like always having time for fans who confront him be and incident like a fan running on to the pitch last week or that young Turkish boy lookalike outside the team bus a few months back... the fact that he doesn't drink due to the damage it did to his family (Father) ... selling his Golden Boot and donating the money to charity ... etc ...

Can't understand why Ronaldo is so hated? That said a lot of people seem to go with this Messi V Ronaldo attitude. If ya like one ya hate the other.

I know he dived and what not during his early days at United but he has cleaned up his act consoderably and matured in to the worlds best player imo.

By the way I'm a Liverpool supporter.

Because you can't possibly like Ronaldo who is a diver and does everything for the money while Saint Leo takes time off during matches to make the blind see and the dumb speak /s.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement