Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most odious players in football

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I might have missed it but I don't think anyone has mentioned Ryan Giggs! The mans actions were a disgrace.
    Other (dis)honourable mentions goto Suarez of course, El Hadj, Steven Gerard, Roy Keane, Stephen Ireland, Ashley Cole,
    Ben Thatchers assault on Pedro Mendes was one of the worst actions I have ever seen on a football pitch.

Also want to mention Abdul Kader Keïta who got (in my opinion) one of the most honest players in football, Kaka, sent off during the world cup by feigning injury.
    And another honourable mention for Dida's epic act when AC Milan were plaing Celtic. He should have gotten a long ban for that one.

Man U fan to pin my colours to the mast

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

41 posts to mention Busquets and St. Andrés mentioned twice before him? Wouldn't have happened a few years ago.
    be very careful with this thread, nobody wants to warn, infract or ban people but remember Personal insults even against non boards members are against the charter and will be acted upon / reported if made (already have been for example)

One more 'incident' and it may bring a close to the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Bit harsh on Gerrard. As a United fan he's a "love to hate" kind of player but shouldn't really belong in this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He annoyed me with the whole 'English players don't dive bit' while his actions don't reflect his words but yes I agree he is probably the least odious of those I listed. Was trying to be non partisan actually and as a Utd fan would much rather see Liverpool up challenging for titles than Chelsea or City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You mean before he was called back on the basis he was still good enough?

Roy the penguin was the main instigator in that issue

Roy called him back to give him a chance to prove his worth, but the odious creature he is he pulled out of the squad, and then retired. He might think that the retirement was his decision but the truth is he is well past it on the international stage.
    Again, I wouldn't lump him in with the the players here. Throwing your toys out of the pram is one thing...
    The thread is titled the "most odious".
    Maybe your criteria is different to mine.

Odious means detestable, and Rio is certainly that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Much as I love them and they're club legends and they have pulled off tackles and blocks that have kept Chelsea from suffering defeat, it is hard not to dislike some of the off-field (and on-field sometimes) actions of John Terry and Ashley Cole. In their prime, undoubtedly two of the finest defenders going. But still, they do not seem to be nice people. Chelsea fans will excuse and defend their actions to the hilt, but sometimes it is hard to defend the undefendable.

I also have a seething dislike of Joey Barton. His violent outbursts on the pitch against his fellow professionals, his vitriolic and idiotic outbursts on social media and just generally being a dislikeable person mean few like him. Even fans of whatever club he is currently plying his trade at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

audman wrote: »
    What's the buzz with Ramos? On the pitch antics similar to Pepe or has he done things outside football that I don't know about?

Terrible hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Quazzie wrote: »
    Roy called him back to give him a chance to prove his worth, but the odious creature he is he pulled out of the squad, and then retired. He might think that the retirement was his decision but the truth is he is well past it on the international stage.

Whats with all the utd hate?

Whats with all the utd hate?

They have their fair share of detestable players. The likes of Rio, Evra, and Giggs in particular really are odious.

• Advertisement

Neeson wrote: »
    What is this?

There's no more than what I said really. A few times I've seen Fabregas mentioned as a "hated" player and the reason will be a spitting incident. Despite pushing for a source or what match it was meant to be or who involved I've never been given any more information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Mario Ballotelli and Mario Goetze...well...the whole lot of Bayern Munich :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Sergio ramos, Pepe, Bale, Evra , Giggs, Lampard , Terry , Drogba, RVP, Stevie G would all my hated ones :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sergio ramos, Pepe, Bale, Evra , Giggs, Lampard , Terry , Drogba, RVP, Stevie G would all my hated ones :)

Frank Lampard?????? You're going to have to explain that one. RVP too

I'm well aware of what the literal meaning of odious is. I'm not sure your and the OP's use of it is correct though.
    I would have thought it wouldn't be so subjective.
    Just naming a player you don't like doesn't make that person an odious charachter.

Here's your list.

Players of today
    Ryan Giggs
    Rooney
    John Terry
    RVP
    Rio Ferdinand
    Frank Lampard
    Evra

Plenty of League and Champions League winners there...

I'm well aware of what odious means. I'm not sure your and the OP's use of it is correct though.
    I would have thought it wouldn't be so subjective.
    Just naming a player you don't like doesn't make that person an odious charachter.

Here's your list.

Players of today
    Ryan Giggs
    Rooney
    John Terry
    RVP
    Rio Ferdinand
    Frank Lampard
    Evra

Plenty of League and Champions League winners there...

I was asked to clarify why I though Rio was an odious character, and I did. I also clarified my reasoning on Lampard earlier on in the thread. Where is the confusion?

BTW the definition of detestable is, someone deserving of dislike. To me Rio is someone who fits that description.

• Advertisement

I was asked to clarify why I though Rio was an odious character, and I did. I also clarified my reasoning on Lampard earlier on in the thread. Where is the confusion?
    What about RvP?
    He leaves Arsenal so he is a detestable charachter?
    Or he just pissed you off?
    There's a difference IMO.

What about RvP?
    He leaves Arsenal so he is a detestable charachter?
    Or he just pissed you off?
    There's a difference IMO.

His conduct and his massive disloyalty he showed to the club that looked after him during years of injuries really made me dislike the man. Also his attitude towards Arsenal FC and their fans really make him detestable to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Wasn't Rio dropped from England purely because Roy didn't want both him and Terry is the squad together? Despite the fact Rio was outplaying Terry every week and Terry was constantly injured? It's amazing how you can be good enough to play for the league champions consistently but be 'past it' in relation to players whose teams finished below you while conceding more goals. Truly odious alright.

I try not to hate players as it's a bit of a waste of time. I dislike players who are overrated based on a small sample size but I keep my hate for referees during games :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Suarez. RvP. Terry. Ferdinand. Rooney. Ronaldo. Drogba. Busquets. Ramos. Di Maria.

All good players but all have terrible personality traits on and off the pitch and aren't people I'd like to spend any time with.

Kirby wrote: »
    Suarez. RvP. Terry. Ferdinand. Rooney. Ronaldo. Drogba. Busquets. Ramos. Di Maria.

All good players but all have terrible personality traits on and off the pitch and aren't people I'd like to spend any time with.

In fairness to Drogba, while he might act the prick on the field, his charity work and off field antics have been exemplary and should be an inspiration to other professional footballers.

• Advertisement

No doubt but I've made the argument before that charity work and "doing good" doesn't excuse people from acting like an asshole. I thought drogba was a massive player but his ego and personality are fairly detestable tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

A few surprises in there, okay i get Gerrard from the anti Liverpool folk,I dont come anywhere close to agreeing with it also someone mentioned Iniesta i mean why?

Also Fabregas,Lampard wtf?

I think the thread title and the question asked in the OP are asking for 2 different things tbh.
    If the thread was called "what players do you hate" I wouldn't be bothered arguing the suggestions.

I think the thread title and the question asked in the OP are asking for 2 different things tbh.
    If the thread was called "what players do you hate" I wouldn't be bothered arguing the suggestions.

You seem to be the only one struggling with what this thread is. I can't fathom why. If you don't "get" the thread, maybe you should stay out and don't spoil it for the rest of us.

Not really. I mean, you might hate a player just because he always scores against you. It's nothing personal, you just wish he would go away so your team could do the business.

That's not the same as thinking a player is an odious little so and so by virtue of the things they do on the pitch and what they say off of it.

People just don't like it when "their" players make somebody else's list. You have questioned why people have said RvP as he's "yours" now but he has a bit of a laundry list and has made several peoples list. I think he's the best forward the premier league has. A Brilliant player but he is still a complete asshole.

It's easy when its el hadji diouf and everyone can nod in agreement but you have to recognise some of these guys who play for your team can be a c*nts at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Barcelona.

You seem to be the only one struggling with what this thread is. I can't fathom why. If you don't "get" the thread, maybe you should stay out and don't spoil it for the rest of us.
    Maybe you should mind your own business and not tell people where to not post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

dd972 wrote: »
    Which players do you dislike most or come across as the most annoying or irritating? I particularly dislike the sort of player who fancies themselves as 'hard men' but pick and choose who they square up to or commit a bad tackle against.
    These are the players who I particularly dislike due to their attitudes on the pitch.

Ben Thatcher
    Jody Morris
    Julian Dicks
    Neil Ruddock
    John Terry
    Callum McManaman
    Jack Wilshire
    John Obi Mikel
    Nigel Reo Coker
    Cesc Fabregas
    Marlon King
    Andy Todd

Where's Liverpool's man eating chip monk?

Dcully wrote: »
    A few surprises in there, okay i get Gerrard from the anti Liverpool folk,I dont come anywhere close to agreeing with it also someone mentioned Iniesta i mean why?

Also Fabregas,Lampard wtf?

I think I am the only one that mentioned Gerard and it was not an anti Liverpool reason (I am very pro Liverpool actually).
    Really don't understand Iniesta being mentioned as I think he is one of the finest examples of a player the world has seen. I don't know much on his personal life though so maybe that is the reason.

Gerrard bothers me a little in the way he comes out as being anti-diving and yet when he does his stevie the starfish impression it's all fine and dandy. I mean there is hypocrisy and then there is just embarrassing yourself. Diving is diving. It's everywhere in the game and not some foreigner thing. England has plenty of top class divers. Gerrard, Rooney, Joe Cole, Lennon, Welbeck. They all do it.

Also, that whole night club incident screamed of "Don't you know who I am?!?"

He's nowhere near the worst and wouldn't make my list but I can kind of see where you are coming from.

• Advertisement

Not really. I mean, you might hate a player just because he always scores against you. It's nothing personal, you just wish he would go away so your team could do the business.

That's not the same as thinking a player is an odious little so and so by virtue of the things they do on the pitch and what they say off of it.

People just don't like it when "their" players make somebody else's list. You have questioned why people have said RvP as he's "yours" now but he has a bit of a laundry list and has made several peoples list. I think he's the best forward the premier league has. A Brilliant player but he is still a complete asshole.

It's easy when its el hadji diouf and everyone can nod in agreement but you have to recognise some of these guys who play for your team can be a c*nts at times.
    Well I've already said Gerrard shouldn't be anywhere near this thread. I don't like him one bit. I'm not bringing club loyalty into it like most are.
    If it's just a place to list players you hate then fire away I'll back out, pretty pointless thread if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Lee Hughes fits the bill and Ched Evans and to slightly lesser extent Nile Ranger. Don't think any explanation is needed for those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Cabaye's a bit of a prick... but he's OUR prick.

Gerrard bothers me a little in the way he comes out as being anti-diving and yet when he does his stevie the starfish impression it's all fine and dandy. I mean there is hypocrisy and then there is just embarrassing yourself. Diving is diving. It's everywhere in the game and not some foreigner thing. England has plenty of top class divers. Gerrard, Rooney, Joe Cole, Lennon, Welbeck. They all do it.

Also, that whole night club incident screamed of "Don't you know who I am?!?"

He's nowhere near the worst and wouldn't make my list but I can kind of see where you are coming from.

You should have gone for Young over Welbeck. Welbeck has the odd incident where it looks like a dive but that may just be because he is lanky. Young there is no excusing sometimes.

I'd say Welbeck has gotten a lot more odious since yesterday though...

Odious is probably a strong word when people don't even know the individuals involved.

Some are "odious" on the pitch, Suarez, Rooney, Bale, to name a few.

Some are "odious" off the pitch, Terry and Giggs to name two.

Barton falls into both categories I suppose.

Liam O wrote: »
    You should have gone for Young over Welbeck. Welbeck has the odd incident where it looks like a dive but that may just be because he is lanky. Young there is no excusing sometimes.

I'd say Welbeck has gotten a lot more odious since yesterday though...

Yeah Young is a tyrant for that sort of stuff. He just flops himself down when he's touched in the slightest.

The Welbeck one is the one where he kicks the other player and flings himself down. The "Pires kick". That's not lankyness, that's calculated cheating. I think he also "goes down" too easy for a man of his size and strength.

Yeah Young is a tyrant for that sort of stuff. He just flops himself down when he's touched in the slightest.

The Welbeck one is the one where he kicks the other player and flings himself down. The "Pires kick". That's not lankyness, that's calculated cheating. I think he also "goes down" too easy for a man of his size and strength.
    It's hard to say with Welbeck, the way he moves he looks like he could fall over at any time (and often does) so a small contact could throw him off balance, he has a high centre of gravity and does look a bit like bambi on ice a lot of the time.

Maybe you should mind your own business and not tell people where to not post.

You keep quoting me and asking me questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Even as a Chelsea fan, obviously JT is unpleasant, also Rio, Barton, Giggs, Kuyt, Busquets, Pepe, Suarez, so the usual ones mainly.

• Advertisement

You keep quoting me and asking me questions.
    Yea, I'm not asking you to moderate the thread though.

Yea, I'm not asking you to moderate the thread though.

I wasnt even close to moderating. Just making a suggestion. Anyways do what ya like. No skin off my nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mod

Drop it Quazzie and Will I Amnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Bertser wrote: »
    Even as a Chelsea fan, obviously JT is unpleasant, also Rio, Barton, Giggs, Kuyt, Busquets, Pepe, Suarez, so the usual ones mainly.

Kuyt? Don't get that one, he's not a diver or mouthy or that.
    Hated Poulsen at Schalke after he shin kicked Milan to death in a champ league game 7 or so years back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Kuyt is the strangest yet tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He has a very nasty streak in him. I have seen him trying to do people at times.

• Advertisement

He has a very nasty streak in him. I have seen him trying to do people at times.

I do you people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Wasn't renowned for it but Dennis Bergkamp used to be a t*sser at times, plus he'd pick and choose who he 'did'

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

As strange as Lampard? Has a nasty tackle in him, the one on Phil Neville in the Merseyside Derby a few years ago for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Who was the Valencia player who sucker punched Burdisso a few years back & ran away like a b!tch, twas David Navarro(thanks google).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

GTR63 wrote: »
    Hated Poulsen at Schalke after he shin kicked Milan to death in a champ league game 7 or so years back.

Should probably add Gattuso in here too.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement