Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most odious players in football

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Bendtner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Andy Goram

Game, set and match!

kfallon wrote: »
    Andy Goram

Game, set and match!

Which one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Should probably add Gattuso in here too.

Certainly no Angel, don't remember him getting many reds which is odd but that tiff with ex Milan forward Joe Jordan was stupid as was Souness suggesting he wouldn't fare well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23703265

Seven pages and no Robbie Savage, freely admits to trying most of these, not a hanging offence but still.

Here is his 11-point guide to the dirty tricks footballers will use to get the transfer they want:

Quotes: I've called newspaper reporters I was close to and asked them to link me with this team or that team, even when I knew it wasn't true.

"I forced a move from Blues to Blackburn, it's a well known fact. On the club's day off, I knew a guy off the TV, I got him to film me on my day-off so it looked like I had trained on my own."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Poor Robbie 'I played alongside Ryan giggs once' Savage has been hard done by in his career, all those managers out to get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lee Bowyer is a stand out who I don't think has been mentioned yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I know this is not going to go down well. I'll preface this by saying I think the player in question was extremely talented, with a career that every professional would envy.

However, I have never met a player that has incensed me more than Paul Scholes. Every time he 'tackled' he was excused on account of the one so-called weakness in his game. The truth is that he was forgiven many a challenge that other players would not have been.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that he broke down many a threatening attack by his cynical fouls, but let not dress it up to be more than it was. It was NOT a genuine tackle by a talented footballer who accidentally mistimed a challenge, it was the action of an enforcer encouraged by Fergie and drooled over by Andy flucking Gray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭kksaints

Sean O'Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Craig Bellamy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Tony o Dowd
    Gary Twigg

Words cannot describe.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Jack Wilshere?
    Fabregas?

:confused:

Can someone explain to me why they have been mentioned in this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Phil Bardsley has to be up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I have an irrational hatred for Anderson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

quarryman wrote: »
    Jack Wilshere?
    Fabregas?

I thought it would be fairly obvious why Wilshere is being mentioned. Numerous horror challenges and a general case of Napoleon syndrome on the pitch. Talented footballer all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

quarryman wrote: »
    Jack Wilshere?
    Fabregas?

I'll give you Fabregas, but Wilshere is a petulant little child who is as likely to give you a sly kick or tap on the ankles as he is play a sublime through-ball. Some would say that's odious. I happen to think he's a very talented player, but I understand why he's on some people's lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Wilshire is a charmless, petulant, little, 'ome cahnties, scroate, Napoleon Complex on the pitch as mentioned earlier fits well.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

In LOI circles, I don't think I've ever heard anyone speak positively of Chris Turner because he's a prick.

Gary McCabe and Sean O'Connor with honourable mentions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Juanito, because of that ridiculous attack on Matthaus. He was a hateful player

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Emre, ya gotta love this video, literally kicking racism outta football haha :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p-m0TC_rtm0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

A player i haven't seen mentioned so far is Gabriel Heinze. So called hard man but touch him and he'd roll around for about half an hour and then wave an imaginary card at the ref. So embarrassed watching him at times.

Wise
    Diouf
    Barton
    Saurez
    Savage
    Pepe
    Gattuso (same as Heinze couldn't be touched)
    Ashley Cole
    Terry

Oh and im a Man Utd fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Fellaini. (Everton fan)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Trevor Molloy was a right little shít in his day! Hated by most LOI fans when in his 'pomp' with Pats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

My own wee list;

Luis Suarez
    Sergio Busquets
    Sergio Ramos
    Javier Mascherano
    Carlos Tevez
    Scott Brown
    Steven Gerrard
    Kyle Lafferty
    John Terry
    Francesco Totti
    Daniel Van Buyten
    Franck Ribery
    Arjen Robben
    Antonio Cassano
    Wayne Rooney (it has to be said)
    Emre Belözoğlu

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Just off the top of my head for all sorts of reasons:

Ravel Morrison
    Ryan Giggs
    Wayne Rooney
    John Terry
    Ashley Cole
    Luis Suarez
    Jamie Carragher
    Steven Gerrard
    Andy Carroll
    Nile Ranger
    Francesco Totti
    Emre
    Franck Ribery
    Javier Mascherano
    Sergio Busquets
    Pepe
    Sergio Ramos
    Nigel de Jong
    Carlos Tevez
    Gabriel Heinze

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Is that Iniesta or Nesta?

Iniesta is one of the greatest players of his generation, a gent on the pitch and wonderful to watch.

And Alesandro Nesta is one of the greatest players of his generation, a gent on the pitch and wonderful to watch.

Nesta is, hands down, the best centre back in the world of the last 15-20 years and he best defender Italy have produced since Maldini.

Busquets. I don't even think I need to give a reason why

Exactly who I was going to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I'm a Chelsea fan, but we've had some truly vile specimens lining out in our colours:

- Wise
    - Terry
    - Jody Morris was a bit of a scumbag
    - Joel Kitamirike ended up selling crack
    - Leon Knight - absolute psychopath

Should probably add Gattuso in here too.

Watch a few games he played in again, he was never a dirty player, very rarely sent off and never tried to just do a player. He was aggressive but not dirty.

Lee Catermole

/thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I thought it would be fairly obvious why Wilshere is being mentioned. Numerous horror challenges and a general case of Napoleon syndrome on the pitch. Talented footballer all the same.

I don't think I've ever seen Wilshere commit a 'horror challenge', never mind numerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

geeky wrote: »
    - Leon Knight - absolute psychopath

Ugh, i'd forgotten about him.

Thoroughly unpleasant individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Kevin Muscat must be in here somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

razorblunt wrote: »
    Kevin Muscat must be in here somewhere?

Suprised it took this long. A scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

keano_afc wrote: »
    Suprised it took this long. A scumbag.

Lucas neill too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Quazzie wrote: »
    I was asked to clarify why I though Rio was an odious character, and I did. I also clarified my reasoning on Lampard earlier on in the thread. Where is the confusion?

BTW the definition of detestable is, someone deserving of dislike. To me Rio is someone who fits that description.

Why is Evra so deserving of dislike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Surprised it took so long for Muscat to appear. First name that sprung to mind as soon as I saw the thread title. Nasty individual

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Why is Evra so deserving of dislike?

Generally victim blaming although some will claim that the way he acted during the World Cup is the reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

AdamD wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen Wilshere commit a 'horror challenge', never mind numerous.

There was the tackle on Zigic too and he generally flies into challenges recklessly. Only Ramires and Robert Huth would be dirtier out of current PL players.

Abbiati, Buffon and other fascists deserve a mention too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My youtube is a bit messed up at the moment, but am I right in saying that Jack was pretty much hacked down then Pennnat came over giving it all lip and Jack stood up fro himself?

Did something else happen that I missed?

• Advertisement

My youtube is a bit messed up at the moment, but am I right in saying that Jack was pretty much hacked down then Pennnat came over giving it all lip and Jack stood up fro himself?

Did something else happen that I missed?

Arsene?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Arsene?
    I'm just saying it as I remember it. Youtube is blocked except for the heading of the video. I'm open to correction and other people's interpretations though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

kensutz wrote: »
    Surprised it took so long for Muscat to appear. First name that sprung to mind as soon as I saw the thread title. Nasty individual

I'd erased him from my mind. Cowardly thug.

I'm just saying it as I remember it. Youtube is blocked except for the heading of the video. I'm open to correction and other people's interpretations though.

I was only joking...the whole thing started over a terrible challenge by Wilshere on Pennant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

There was the tackle on Zigic too and he generally flies into challenges recklessly. Only Ramires and Robert Huth would be dirtier out of current PL players.

Ok well if they are horrific tackles I'll no longer be taking your opinion seriously.

It's funny how when an Arsenal player gets done in a tackle when someone just about touches the ball Arsenal fans are told it's just bad luck. Wilshere gets the ball off Penant and follows through a bit and it apparently is a horror challenge. Hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

God where do I start. I must say I do not follow football as much any more (prob because of the massive increase in **** on the pitch) Here's my list...may be a little old:

1. Patrick Veira- god I hated that wanker
    2. Arsene Wenger
    3. Tony Ada....

...in fact every Arsenal player from 1988 to 2004.

Paul Gascoigne, Richard Gough, Ali McCoist, Gordan Durie, Ian Durrant, Stuart McCa....in fact every Rangers player from 1990 to present day.

I must say that Stephen Carr, Joey Barton, the Neville sisters, Lee Bowyer all spring to mind

But:

Cashly Cole, John Terry and Luis Suarez really do take the biscuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It's funny how when an Arsenal player gets done in a tackle when someone just about touches the ball Arsenal fans are told it's just bad luck. Wilshere gets the ball off Penant and follows through a bit and it apparently is a horror challenge. Hilarious.

Because it is a massive conspiracy against Arsenal players...what did you think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Can't believe people still think Buffon is a fascist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Diouf definitely top of the list for me.

A truly horrible person

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement