Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O/DRAFT FACILITY FEE?

Options
  • 18-08-2013 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

As someone who no longer resides in Ireland on regular basis, I rely on online banking for all of my account information. So, as i cannot simply walk into a branch, i'll ask here:

Since when has BoI begun charging for the Overdraft "Facility", something I never asked for, that was originally automatically enabled for me as a "free feature / service"? 

Thanks
    WM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi woolymammoth,

Thanks for posting.

The charge has been in place for a number of years however, it is not applicable on some account types i.e. Third Level and Graduate. If your own account has been upgraded recently, this might be why you are seeing this charge for the first time. 

If you call your account holding branch a representative will be more than happy to check this for you. 

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

upgraded recently? it would've had to have been another 'free' service i never asked for. It's a way to charge people by stealth!

down-with-this-sort-of-thing.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

As someone who no longer resides in Ireland on regular basis, I rely on online banking for all of my account information. So, as i cannot simply walk into a branch, i'll ask here:

Since when has BoI begun charging for the Overdraft "Facility", something I never asked for, that was originally automatically enabled for me as a "free feature / service"? 

Thanks
    WM
    woolymammoth:
    I see you got the same stock answer as I did. Did you succeed in having this stealth charge removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

leck wrote: »
    woolymammoth:
    I see you got the same stock answer as I did. Did you succeed in having this stealth charge removed?
    na.. being in the antipoles made it difficult to resist. Having other higher priorities put it on the back burner. If i was in Ireland, i would contest it for sure. Actually, i would switch bank if i could. Charging an annual fee for a 'feature' that you get charged for when you use it also.. BOI bend you over backwards, then forwards to finish the job. The shower of cnuts would be more than happy to sign you up for some other bullsh!t features in any branch, but try to remove something and the walls go up straight away - have to contact your 'local' branch. 

anyway.. rant over.

If anyone from BoI is reading, I never requested the overdraft. I recall specifically asking to not have it many years ago. Your own terms say "An overdraft facility fee of €30 applies on negotiation and annual renewal". Can someone be clear on what conditions this would have had to be negotiated?

let me know if you  have any success Leck.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Woolymammoth, offensive language is not acceptable in the Talk to forums. You have received a warning for the above post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi wollymammoth,[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in contact with us.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]The terms for overdraft fees do state [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]"An overdraft facility fee of €30 applies on negotiation and annual renewal"[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]. This relates to when the fee is charged. The fee is charged initially when the overdraft is requested and approved (negotiated) on the account and then will apply automatically on the anniversary of this date going forward (annual renewal).[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]For further clarification on this fee, as mentioned previously, please contact your account holding branch where a representative will be happy to discuss this with you. As we do not have account access here we are unable to provide you with specific detail on the set up of your own overdraft facility.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Should you wish to have this overdraft facility removed please send your request in writing to the Personal Lender in your account holding branch or alternatively call in to them directly.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Contact details of your branch can be found [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]here[/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif].[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Elaine[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭leck

... I never requested the overdraft. I recall specifically asking to not have it many years ago. Your own terms say "An overdraft facility fee of €30 applies on negotiation and annual renewal". Can someone be clear on what conditions this would have had to be negotiated?

let me know if you  have any success Leck.
    I don't think I ever requested an overdraft either but try telling them that now! Maybe at some stage over 30 years ago when my account balance was low, someone said why don't we give you a little overdraft and arrah it won't cost you anything. I have lived out of Ireland for over 20 years and rarely used the account and it was certainly never overdrawn. I'm kind of surprised that I didn't notice this fee suddenly appear last year but I was in the process of moving, or maybe I did notice and asked them to remove it but forgot to follow up.

In any case I DID notice it this July and when I brought it to their attention initially they said there was nothing they could do about it that I would either need to write to the local branch or call in person to discuss it. That's easier for me to do than you. First visit was unsatisfactory. I signed a piece of paper asking them to remove the overdraft that I never knew I had but they wouldn't remove the charges. After a second visit earlier this week, I got a return phone call where they offered to remove one of the charges "as a concession." I was not happy with that and made my feelings known, the rep then reluctantly agreed to remove both charges. That was two days ago and the €60 has still not been credited back to my account.

Advertisement