Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating ID badges

Options
  • 18-08-2013 4:36am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

I want to start a business creating various ID badges. Are there any course which teach the trade?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Are you looking for a Desktop Publishing (DTP) course? I'm sure there are plenty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I want to start a business creating various ID badges. Are there any course which teach the trade?

That depends on what you mean by "various" ID badges.

I imagine there's a few types

1. A very simple photo id, printed out and laminated with a possible hole punch to punch a hole through it to hang on a neckband / clip for shirts / insert into keyring.

You'd need a webcam, printer, laminator and hole puncher. (no smart remarks please) There's probably software out there to take the photo and embed it in some template to print out.

2. Same as one, but maybe you need to print a barcode that some external system can read. Might require some extra software to generate barcode images.

3. Security badges, with embedded chips / RF ID tags.
    Don't necessarily have anything printed on them, used to swipe open security doors, car park barriers etc. I imagine these are bought with the security system and there's not much demand for third parties to create them, and they probably are locked down by the manufacturer anyway.

regards,
    CD

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

There's probably software out there to take the photo and embed it in some template to print out.

Datacard ID Works was a package I worked with before.

The version I had to work on was incredibly basic and limited on what it allowed you to do. I had to use Photoshop to design a card and trick the software to letting me use it, really silly stuff to print standard ID cards. Was very much trial and error but after figuring out the workarounds it did the job for printing cards off a new database.

That was a few years ago so I don't know how much they've updated the software but they have a trial on that link you can have a look at.

Advertisement