Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All-Ireland SFC Semi-Final - Dublin -v- Kerry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Would be great to see Alan back alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

I always find stories of Enright's pace surprising because he has such am unorthodox gait that he never looks like he is moving particularly quickly- he looks quite cumbersome when running.

I have been assured though that he is very quick!

Well if you watched the Cork game, you would have seen him keep pace, our outpace, Kerrigan quite a few times...that is pretty nifty believe me!

Brogan was brilliant in general play against Cork and didn't finish like he has done in the past..mainly off his left. If he clicks against Kerry, he could still be a matchwinner..and yes, Marc will have to take him. The other matchups depend on who plays for Dublin..I suspect Rock will be named 14. Griffin or Enright could get that job with Enright or Fionn Fitz picking up Mannion. There is also a possible scenario whereby Young would be dropped and Enright would man mark Connolly, but thats a bit out of left field.

I can't wait for this game anyway..big days like these only come around so often. Looking forward to having the craic with the jackeens that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Anyone else hear that Cluxton is struggling with a hamstring injury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

manster wrote: »
    Is it the same hamstring injury that Aidan O Shea has ?
    But I think you might be a week too early telling us about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yes but I thought that was before the last game,
    I can't ever see rock at 14. He is IMHO a true half forward, might not even be his type if game anyway he's better out the field having a pop from far out under pressure, I can't see the game going that way for either team.
    Brogan is going to have to learn to play with the rest of the lads. I think he'll play well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Really?
    Excellent, Kerry might aswell start going easy in training as they'll win the game handy now so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Really?
    Excellent, Kerry might aswell start going easy in training as they'll win the game handy now so

Slow day for ya brother ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 winteractive

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'd bet my house on Marc O'Se marking BB too. Anyone who thinks he should be dropped needs their heads examined. I bet the people who say that never go to Dublin games in person. They only watch them on TV. If you think that what he scores is the only bench mark for how well he is playing, that is fair enough. But there are loads of things the telly does not show. He automatically draws other teams best markers, and if he so much as looks at a ball, 2-3 players automatically descend on him, coz it is in their heads what he can & not what he is actually doing in a game. There is a reason why Paddy Andrews (before he got injured) and Paul Mannion are having the good seasons that they are. Trust me, if BB wasn't there, there is no way in hell they would be getting the scores that they are. And as for his scoring being the only way to measure how well he is playing...well why not ask that Cadogan lad from Cork how much he enjoyed marking him in their recent quarter final encounter & you'll soon have your answer !

I've seen Brogan plenty of times and he always looks good against Longford and Wicklow! Oh and Carlow...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

No credit for scoring 1-7 in an All Ireland semifinal against Cork?
    No Credit for scoring 0-6 in an All Ireland final against Kerry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'd bet my house on Marc O'Se marking BB too. Anyone who thinks he should be dropped needs their heads examined. I bet the people who say that never go to Dublin games in person. They only watch them on TV. If you think that what he scores is the only bench mark for how well he is playing, that is fair enough. But there are loads of things the telly does not show. He automatically draws other teams best markers, and if he so much as looks at a ball, 2-3 players automatically descend on him, coz it is in their heads what he can & not what he is actually doing in a game. There is a reason why Paddy Andrews (before he got injured) and Paul Mannion are having the good seasons that they are. Trust me, if BB wasn't there, there is no way in hell they would be getting the scores that they are. And as for his scoring being the only way to measure how well he is playing...well why not ask that Cadogan lad from Cork how much he enjoyed marking him in their recent quarter final encounter & you'll soon have your answer !

The lad is also super at picking up messy messy balls sent his direction. One of the only things off about his game this year has been the finishing. Which i think he will come good again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Can't believe how down on Bernard Brogan people are?Ok he has'nt been at his best the last couple of seasons but there were real signs of a return to form against Cork,as already mentioned the attention he generates creates space for his fellow forwards.He seems to lacking a little confidence,shots dropping into the keeper's hands,missed goal chance..
    Obviously there is no comparison between league and championship but it was a pleasure(NOT:D) to witness the exhibition he put on against Mayo in the league game in Croker this year,his sideline score was amazing.Not too many players give Ger Cafferkey such a testing evening.
    Form is temporary class is permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Really?

Although lacking experience, Shane supple the bench goalkeeper is a very able replacement and would be starting for most inter county teams. Though I'd almost guarantee cluxton will be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Bernard may not be scoring but hes putting a good shift in on the pitch. He is working his socks off and with his reputation from the past he receives greater attention from opponents on marking him which allows the likes of Mannion, Connolly and Paddy Andrews to get more space and time on the ball. Now that Mannion has become the main man and the attention has diverted from Bernard he will get his chance to shine possibly against Kerry and hopefully in the final. He may have a massive say in the rest of this championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 winteractive

billyhead wrote: »
    Bernard may not be scoring but hes putting a good shift in on the pitch. He is working his socks off and with his reputation from the past he receives greater attention from opponents on marking him which allows the likes of Mannion, Connolly and Paddy Andrews to get more space and time on the ball. Now that Mannion has become the main man and the attention has diverted from Bernard he will get his chance to shine possibly against Kerry and hopefully in the final. He may have a massive say in the rest of this championship.

Except he needs to actualy be able to put the ball between the posts to do that! :)

Although lacking experience, Shane supple the bench goalkeeper is a very able replacement and would be starting for most inter county teams. Though I'd almost guarantee cluxton will be fine

I was taking the p*ss- just highlighting how idiotic and pointless these leaks of injuries are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Hope that Jack McCaffrey is ok for the match after his serious hand injury. Would like to see him and Darren O'Sullivan racing for a 50/50 ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

is the Ref announced yet? if its Mcquillan, its a 3 or 4 point head start for the Dubs already, so hopefully its not, we need every break we can get.

Dublin already in the final according to practically everywhere you look and read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Dublin already in the final according to practically everywhere you look and read.

I wouldnt believe it for one minute. There is a big game in Kerry next day out against Dublin. I would be more interested on how Dublin will deal with it. If Dublin pass this test, then they are a serious team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Go on then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

is the Ref announced yet? if its Mcquillan, its a 3 or 4 point head start for the Dubs already, so hopefully its not, we need every break we can get.

Jesus wept!

Are you for real?

• Advertisement

Jesus wept!

Are you for real?

do tell......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

do tell......

Win, lose or draw Dublin will accept the result. As the other thirty counties would.
    Kerry as usual if they lose will be graceless.

Win, lose or draw Dublin will accept the result. As the other thirty counties would.
    Kerry as usual if they lose will be graceless.

That's rubbish-I don't want to go down the petty tit-for-tat route that you seem to want to take this.
    It is hard to deny though that Joe had a stinker in 2011

Killian Young seriously injured in training match today, massive loss for Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Killian Young seriously injured in training match today, massive loss for Kerry.
    After all the good news yesterday, AOM and Sheehan and Tomás were all pronounced fit!

Hammerblow! Fractured ankle!

Enright AOM Marc
    Fionn Tomás Crowley

Is how they should lineout, with Griffin in for AOM if need be. Brosnan doesn't have 70 mins in him.

That's rubbish-I don't want to go down the petty tit-for-tat route that you seem to want to take this.
    It is hard to deny though that Joe had a stinker in 2011

I don't think he brought it up to be honest. I'll deny he had a bad game no problem, Kerry were beaten but some posters seem to want dwell on the analysis , lets stop the game with ten minutes to go when Kerry were 4 points up, the Biggest lead the game had, 3 minutes minutes later a goal was scored by a player that everyone knew was going to be brought on as an impact sub but the kerry management team didn't prepare for, he scores a gaol there are about 7 minutes of normal time left. Why can't we talk about kerry being one point up with 7 minutes plus extra time to go?

The lad is having a pop because there are posters here who have done everything to take from the victory in 2011. Some have gone out of their way always returning to 10 minutes left 4 points up, failing to spot the Gilroy tactic of strengthening the team for the final 20 minutes that he used for two years. The guy who was brought on to run at a tired kerry defence and score a goal did just that. The kerry management team got it wrong, they miss judged the momentum of the game didn't study how hard Gilroy worked on the final quarter due to falling apart at that stage do many times before.
    Kerry lost, not by much Dublin had a bit of luck along the way, but let it go about the ref, I actually think that 2011 will motivate Dublin more than Kerry. I see EF in the star having a moan about now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hard to blame J McQ for Kerry's loss in '11. Stinks of bitterness as well. As John Evans alluded to during the week, I think the person most at fault for Kerry losing was Declan O' S. Sloppily gave away possession before the goal was got and put in a lazy tackle on McMenamin when he should've taken him down. He should be raring to go next Sunday, but he has been exceptionally poor thus far in championship.

Stoner wrote: »
    I don't think he brought it up to be honest. I'll deny he had a bad game no problem, Kerry were beaten but some posters seem to want dwell on the analysis , lets stop the game with ten minutes to go when Kerry were 4 points up, the Biggest lead the game had, 3 minutes minutes later a goal was scored by a player that everyone knew was going to be brought on as an impact sub but the kerry management team didn't prepare for, he scores a gaol there are about 7 minutes of normal time left. Why can't we talk about kerry being one point up with 7 minutes plus extra time to go?

The lad is having a pop because there are posters here who have done everything to take from the victory in 2011. Some have gone out of their way always returning to 10 minutes left 4 points up, failing to spot the Gilroy tactic of strengthening the team for the final 20 minutes that he used for two years. The guy who was brought on to run at a tired kerry defence and score a goal did just that. The kerry management team got it wrong, they miss judged the momentum of the game didn't study how hard Gilroy worked on the final quarter due to falling apart at that stage do many times before.
    Kerry lost, not by much Dublin had a bit of luck along the way, but let it go about the ref, I actually think that 2011 will motivate Dublin more than Kerry. I see EF in the star having a moan about now too.

I agree with you to an extent but any analysis of a game is going to include an analysis of the refs performance.
    On the day it was very poor, which you have agreed with!

He got a lot of calls wrong, which is common place for GAA refs as the standard is generally poor, and the problem most people have is that they favoured Dublin.

I think it needs to be let go of now though as its in the past- attempts to change the narrative though will not help

I agree with you to an extent but any analysis of a game is going to include an analysis of the refs performance.
    On the day it was very poor, which you have agreed with!

He got a lot of calls wrong, which is common place for GAA refs as the standard is generally poor, and the problem most people have is that they favoured Dublin.

I think it needs to be let go of now though as its in the past- attempts to change the narrative though will not help
    u

Fair enough, but I didn't agree with him having a bad game, I think brennan was lucky to stay on, but I thought KDs off the ball antics went unnoticed too. We can disagree on issues no problem, but there is no need for your post to form an opinion for me, because it's not my opinion in this case, nor is it really within the scope of one poster to make a claim on behalf of '' most people '' might be most people where you are from, but it not where I'm from.
    We've lost plenty of games over the years by one point to the eventual winners and were in many people's eyes worth of the loss, you can't have it both ways well beaten by a point one day and handed a game the next.
    The bit of luck along the way referred to the way to winning, Kildare deserved a replay that year IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

THFC wrote: »
    Hard to blame J McQ for Kerry's loss in '11. Stinks of bitterness as well. As John Evans alluded to during the week, I think the person most at fault for Kerry losing was Declan O' S. Sloppily gave away possession before the goal was got and put in a lazy tackle on McMenamin when he should've taken him down. He should be raring to go next Sunday, but he has been exceptionally poor thus far in championship.
    People are very quick to cry "bitterness" and "sour grapes" if any complaint is made about an officials performance.

I'm not bitter about Dublin winning. Kerry were in a position to win and lost focus on the field and on the sideline.

But to say McQuillan didn't have an influence on the game, and as such had an influence on the loss is pretty laughable.

The problem with his performance was inconsistency, and the fact that this inconsistency didn't balance itself out.

Some tackles were fouls at one end of the field and not at the other. Im not saying every decision went against Kerry (that would be deluded and blinkered) but I felt on the day and after watching it back that Kerry got a raw deal from McQuillan that day.

Were other factors at play? Of course! No one factor can solely be attributed to a loss in any game. But he did have an influence.

And thats Sport! At the end of the day, it happens every day all over the world. But its certainly not bitterness to highlight it. And its not a slight on Dublin either. Dublin showed immense character and drive to come out and claw that game back. They made the right calls on the sideline and outfoxed Kerry on and off the Field in the last 10 minutes. They deserved their All Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 surfer86

Does anyone know or are you able to find out for me where I can watch the game of the championship :) in siem reap in Cambodia. Can't wait to watch this game. Thanks for any help you can give. I emailed one Irish bar there called Molly malones Irish pub haven't received any reply yet though. Go raibh maith agat a chara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

surfer86 wrote: »
    Does anyone know or are you able to find out for me where I can watch the game of the championship :) in siem reap in Cambodia. Can't wait to watch this game. Thanks for any help you can give. I emailed one Irish bar there called Molly malones Irish pub haven't received any reply yet though. Go raibh maith agat a chara

If you have a decent internet connection there'll be streams online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 surfer86

If you have a decent internet connection there'll be streams online.

Cheers for that, Internet stream will be last resort, not sure if the speed will be good enough and would love the pub atmosphere for the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Think Kerry could be line for a big performance..alot of the Dubs side are very young...Earwigs joe earwigs

Great to see E Fitz at the match yesterday - must be planning for next years league campaign .. now that's commitment :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

DDC1990 wrote: »
    People are very quick to cry "bitterness" and "sour grapes" if any complaint is made about an officials performance.

I'm not bitter about Dublin winning. Kerry were in a position to win and lost focus on the field and on the sideline.

But to say McQuillan didn't have an influence on the game, and as such had an influence on the loss is pretty laughable.

The problem with his performance was inconsistency, and the fact that this inconsistency didn't balance itself out.

Some tackles were fouls at one end of the field and not at the other. Im not saying every decision went against Kerry (that would be deluded and blinkered) but I felt on the day and after watching it back that Kerry got a raw deal from McQuillan that day.

Were other factors at play? Of course! No one factor can solely be attributed to a loss in any game. But he did have an influence.

And thats Sport! At the end of the day, it happens every day all over the world. But its certainly not bitterness to highlight it. And its not a slight on Dublin either. Dublin showed immense character and drive to come out and claw that game back. They made the right calls on the sideline and outfoxed Kerry on and off the Field in the last 10 minutes. They deserved their All Ireland.

Thank you, been listening to Kerry folk whine about that same thing ever since, finally someone sensible.

That's the past now, lets hope for a cracking game next week and may the best team win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Think Kerry will put in their best performance on Sunday and will sneak a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

More this game gets closer the more I fancy Kerry. Had same feeling for Limerick/Clare game.

Kerry are too quiet..Way too quite... and Dubs seem to be too confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

81,000 tickets sold so far,Should be sold out by weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Prop Joe wrote: »
    81,000 tickets sold so far,Should be sold out by weekend

Thats the first of the year, and the first in a long time

Only bad oman for Kerry is that any time I have been abroad over last 10 years they have always lost in championship. They rarely lose when I'm in Ireland. I will be abroad for this game. :D

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Think Kerry will put in their best performance on Sunday and will sneak a win.

Yeah I agree, Kerry can do things that no other county could do when they are written off.

More this game gets closer the more I fancy Kerry. Had same feeling for Limerick/Clare game.

Kerry are too quiet..Way too quite... and Dubs seem to be too confident.

I have said it here already that I wouldn't be surprised if Dublin didn't turn up on the day.If Kerry win, they will win the All Ireland.

Amprodude wrote: »
    I have said it here already that I wouldn't be surprised if Dublin didn't turn up on the day.If Kerry win, they will win the All Ireland.
    Well thats completely unfair 15 v 0 .. yup youse will win

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Well thats completely unfair 15 v 0 .. yup youse will win

Ha ha funny.... We all know how good Dublin are and when in form would blow anyone away. They will have a big test next Sunday and if they blow Kerry away, then they are a serious team. I can't call the game but I for one won't write Kerry off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Only bad oman for Kerry is that any time I have been abroad over last 10 years they have always lost in championship. They rarely lose when I'm in Ireland. I will be abroad for this game. :D

Have the Kerry County Board not been in touch to make arrangements for you to fly home?!! :)

Ha ha funny.... We all know how good Dublin are and when in form would blow anyone away. They will have a big test next Sunday and if they blow Kerry away, then they are a serious team. I can't call the game but I for one won't write Kerry off.

With the risk of indulging in hyperbole ... Dublin/Kerry matches in the championship have given some of the greatest defining moments in Football. The 70's are now consigned to nostalgia .. but even back to the 2 games in Thurles in 2001 and "that" point. The 2007 & 09 S/F's for differing reasons rubberstamped the greatness of the Kerry team. The '07 SF was a match between the 2 best teams in the country and befitted a final.

2011 gave (and I'm biased) Dublin a well deserved AI from all the disappointments in the intervening 16 years and beating Kerry added it as a "proper" AI.

So 2013 I feel will be no different. In many cases over the years one of the SF's was in actual fact the game of the year - followed by a damp squib of an AI final. The result is unclear but there's every chance this game will leave an indelible mark for years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Sure Mayo might as well not show up if Kerry win next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I still remember the last 15 minutes of 2011 so clearly in my mind and probably will til the day I die. Never heard noise and seen emotion like that at a sporting event ever in my life. A day I will cherish.
    seligehgit wrote: »
    Sure Mayo might as well not show up if Kerry win next week.

Cop on.

DoctaDee wrote: »
    2011 gave (and I'm biased) Dublin a well deserved AI from all the disappointments in the intervening 16 years and beating Kerry added it as a "proper" AI.

just on this, Kerrys win over Cavan keeps an 18 year run going - the team that knocks out kerry normally at least gets to the final and this will be the case again this year if Dublin win.

More telling however, is that as has been the case apart from one year of the last 12, if Kerry dont win the all ireland, the team that beats them normally does.

1995 was the last time one of the teams in the All ireland final wasnt either Kerry, or the team that beat them.

2012 - Donegal (all ireland Champions)
    2011 - Dublin (all ireland champions)
    2010 - Down (Beaten finalists)
    2009 - Kerry All Ireland Champions
    2008 - Tyrone ((all ireland champions)
    2007 - Kerry All Ireland Champions
    2006 - Kerry All Ireland Champions
    2005 - Tyrone (all ireland champions)
    2004 - Kerry All Ireland Champions
    2003 - Tyrone (all ireland champions)
    2002 - Armagh (all ireland champions)
    2001 - Meath (Beaten finalists)