Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat leaving cert students 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Louiseh714

For orals what should I start doing? Like would you advise a notebook with all the possible questions and answers or?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Louiseh714 wrote: »
    For orals what should I start doing? Like would you advise a notebook with all the possible questions and answers or?

Listen to radio stations in the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

spurious wrote: »
    Listen to radio stations in the language.

Agree with you there, but I do recommend writing out possible answers.

Is anyone applying for UCAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Theresee.xO

Yep I've applied through UCAS,
    Only got one offer so far though.

• Advertisement

Have an offer for Occupational Therapy so I'm delighted :D:D:D
    Hows everyone getting on in the Mocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jtaylol

Guys this mocks stuff is a pain in the ass. I'VE ALREADY DONE THIS LET ME STUDY FOR ORALS AND HPAT! I'm actually going crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

jtaylol wrote: »
    Guys this mocks stuff is a pain in the ass. I'VE ALREADY DONE THIS LET ME STUDY FOR ORALS AND HPAT! I'm actually going crazy!

I've been clever about the mocks last year. Last year I studied like f*ck for them and got close to the points needed. Because I studied so hard for the mocks I decided to give myself a good break for... well for the rest of the year :eek::rolleyes:.

I haven't been too bothered this year. I haven't cheated (unlike some people on here :p )but I've taken bits and pieces to do well and just left the rest. For example, in Maths I covered Algebra, Complex No's and Calculus for Paper 1 and didn't bother with Finance or Sequences and Series. There's time enough afterwards anyway especially since I have n'er a project or oral to worry about after the mocks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kev44

does anyone else intend to leave school a while before the leaving cert and take a few weeks on your own to study? going to class is just of no benefit i find..

kev44 wrote: »
    does anyone else intend to leave school a while before the leaving cert and take a few weeks on your own to study? going to class is just of no benefit i find..

I'm not sure; i don't find class very useful either, but in those last weeks there is probably going to be a lot of teachers free who may help.

• Advertisement

kev44 wrote: »

I kind of did this last year but it's a pretty lonely existence to be honest. You can pick up one or two useful pieces of information in class but I agree that a lot of classes become a total waste of time towards the end.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I kind of did this last year but it's a pretty lonely existence to be honest. You can pick up one or two useful pieces of information in class but I agree that a lot of classes become a total waste of time towards the end.

Yes i completely agree. It's somewhat counter productive, I think I may go in for important classes in the morning like english, french etc but for the likes of biology I feel time is best spent studying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

This is my second week not going to school, it's actually benefiting me loads. Once you get into it(Takes a day or two) it's great. You get like three chapters done a day( If you're slow like me) and then you have from like 6 - off to chill :) School was stressing me so bad and getting up every day at half 7 and going until 10 pm was just brutal especially seeing as I don't particularly don't see eye to eye with the people in this year in general. Also there's extra pressure to do amazing this year( i think so anyways) and it took me a while to get back into study ! Everyone should try it for a week and if it isn't working go back to school. ;)

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    This is my second week not going to school, it's actually benefiting me loads. Once you get into it(Takes a day or two) it's great. You get like three chapters done a day( If you're slow like me) and then you have from like 6 - off to chill :) School was stressing me so bad and getting up every day at half 7 and going until 10 pm was just brutal especially seeing as I don't particularly don't see eye to eye with the people in this year in general. Also there's extra pressure to do amazing this year( i think so anyways) and it took me a while to get back into study ! Everyone should try it for a week and if it isn't working go back to school. ;)

There does seem to be extra pressure but what helped me was when I realised the only person putting pressure on me was ..... myself

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

thelad95 wrote: »
    There does seem to be extra pressure but what helped me was when I realised the only person putting pressure on me was ..... myself

Totes agree! hahaha.. especially from my own experiences, most people expect you to get into the 500's, hopefully this doesn't apply to everyone :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

Totes agree! hahaha.. especially from my own experiences, most people expect you to get into the 500's, hopefully this doesn't apply to everyone :))

The only expectations you should have is of yourself, whether or not you want to do well. What people think is another spiel, a less relevant one in my books. Getting over 500 would put you in the ±90th percentile which is an achievement in itself, given that over 50,000 people sit the LC yearly.

Not really. You'd be surprised how little notice other people take of what you're doing and that doesn't just go for the LC that goes for life in general. Chances are all your parents and teachers want you to do is your best and they already have a big admiration towards you for having another go.

Forget whatever bull teachers through at you as well. You're an adult now and when you're rocking it up in college next year they will already have forgotten who you are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The sooner you don't give a fiddley diddle about what other people think about you or your choices the better your life will be all round. It's very freeing when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SuperSayian

Repeating the LC is so much fun :P

Repeating the LC is so much fun :P

Ya especially around mock time.................. said nobody ever :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Do ye feel like the mocks are going better this year though?
    I dont actually feel like I failed maths this year :D
    And I actually got the geography paper finished :pac:

peekachoo wrote: »
    Do ye feel like the mocks are going better this year though?
    I dont actually feel like I failed maths this year :D
    And I actually got the geography paper finished :pac:

Definately! so much more relaxed about them , and I think thats helping. Hate the "you should know it all already" comments though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Oh I know! My year head was handing out the exam papers the first day and when she gave me mine she was like "sure you're well used to this by now"

Yeah, haw haw haw :pac:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh you guys :( I have been so set on hpat past few weeks that it completely slipped my mind to learn a poet quickly for English paper 2- sitting in here now attempting to learn Emily Dickinson, so I'll have at least 5 poets. Woe is me.

jtaylol wrote: »
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh you guys :( I have been so set on hpat past few weeks that it completely slipped my mind to learn a poet quickly for English paper 2- sitting in here now attempting to learn Emily Dickinson, so I'll have at least 5 poets. Woe is me.

Use a spoiler. The hpat is far more important than the mocks.

oncex wrote: »
    Use a spoiler. The hpat is far more important than the mocks.

I had enough with learning a new comparative study (which I'm a little rusty with) and was planning on just leaving the poetry question blank, but mammy dearest said that's no way for a med repeater to act. Not happy. She doesn't really get how much prep is needed for the hpat..

I remember last year a good few medicine students effectively didn't give a fiddlers about the mocks. At the end of the day, if you fail a mock the only thing that is hurt is your pride. The hpat is far more important. Forget what teachers and parents say, in a few months time your teachers will have forgotten who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paddy_os

Really should have gone to college last year lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

I have mocks in about a week.. honestly couldn't be bothered even doing them. Need a game plan, to focus on the June dates - they can make or break people.
    paddy_os wrote: »
    Really should have gone to college last year lads.

Too late lol.

• Advertisement

Starting hardcore study for june tomorrow. Also, I am so behind with oral stuff wah :mad:

Advertisement