Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat leaving cert students 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

And hearing the same things from the same teachers! On the bright side we'll know everything in June ;)

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'm doing two new subjects- business and geography and I want to have caught up by mid november so they are taking up 90% of my time at the minute. Sitting in classes that I have been doing for the last two years is very tedious however :(

Geographys a great subject for points once you learn your stuff! you going to a private school this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

oncex wrote: »
    Geographys a great subject for points once you learn your stuff! you going to a private school this year?

No cant afford 7 grand a year unfortunately so it's a brave undertaking :o

thelad95 wrote: »
    No cant afford 7 grand a year unfortunately so it's a brave undertaking :o

same wish i could :( how are you finding the business? Don't know what the story is with my subjects yet, still looking for one I don't mind doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

same wish i could :( how are you finding the business? Don't know what the story is with my subjects yet, still looking for one I don't mind doing.

If you're planning on taking up a new subject, Business is a good option. Small caveat, all theory (with the odd graph) that does not take waffle for an answer! You'll need to be reciting word for word essentially, and there are sneaky sections that are not particularly emphasized in the "Business Express" book that may make their way into exam questions.

• Advertisement

Exo wrote: »
    If you're planning on taking up a new subject, Business is a good option. Small caveat, all theory (with the odd graph) that does not take waffle for an answer! You'll need to be reciting word for word essentially, and there are sneaky sections that are not particularly emphasized in the "Business Express" book that may make their way into exam questions.

would you liken it to geography in that sense?

would you liken it to geography in that sense?

To be honest, I've never studied LC Geography - but I've done some research and there's much more writing involved in Business but it's a more logical subject to do in terms of giving the answers. Geography is a solid option too, you should check out past exam papers and see what'd suit you best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Exo wrote: »
    and there's much more writing involved in Business.

are you sure? :eek: in the exam you have 12 minutes per long geography essay to get the paper done in time! How much is in business I don't do it?? :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I like business in fact its what i want to study in college. The theory is relatively straightforward but the exam questions can be tricky. If you learn the theory well and avoid waffle in the exam you can achieve a high grade.

peekachoo wrote: »
    are you sure? :eek: in the exam you have 12 minutes per long geography essay to get the paper done in time! How much is in business I don't do it?? :O

I wrote about 1½-2+ A4 exam booklet pages per question - there about 5 full exam questions in Section 2/3. Think I filled a whole manuscript/booklet, or came close.. or asked for another, don't quite remember! Then there's Section 1 that's answered on the booklet itself. 3 hour exam. Constant writing. Sitting there, looking for a graph to ease the edge. And all you can do, is hope that you answered the questions correctly with the right terminology.

• Advertisement

Geog is 2hr50 and in the pres I had to leave out 2 and a half essays :P

There's short qs that you fill into the paper

Then one short question and 2 1&1/2-2 page essays on section 1

the same in section 2

and section 3

and a 4-6 page essay in section 4

geography is a grand subject but the exam is a balls :P

I could not have been more chilled during my exams.. only me? :ok:

Sounds pretty intense, I suppose beating around the bush doesn't really help in any subject (except Maths, gotta love those PM attempt marks!) - I still have time to plan out my subject choices for this year, have a choice of 21 without limitation by the college. It's between Geography & DCG (or English, not a fan.. but passed it first time 'round) - after that explanation, I'll stick with DCG lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭football girl

Hey! As a student who repeated last year, I understand how ye are feeling and don't envy your situation. However, apart from having the leaving cert ahead of you, take my advice and enjoy your last year in school. I found that the teachers empathised with us and most of them treated us like their friends and having the banter with them made the year slightly more enjoyable. If anybody wants any advice about the year or anything, let me know. Trust me though, it's worth it! It's these few weeks that are the hardest!!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 zeldagamelover

Starting school on Monday im sooo scared!!! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TooMuchAtOnce

Starting school on Monday im sooo scared!!! Lol

Did you go to assembly yesterday?

Did you go to assembly yesterday?

Yep did you? I went in the morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TooMuchAtOnce

Yep did you? I went in the morning :)

Same :) what did you think of it?

Things are settling down, everyone else is gone to college. Hating hearing all the good stories from student accom etc:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please keep the chat to PM thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

Things are settling down, everyone else is gone to college. Hating hearing all the good stories from student accom etc:(

put your attention on your books and dont let such stuff distract you there is only your self to blame for not doing the work last year so work harder this year to catch up with them the following year

• Advertisement

Same :) what did you think of it?
    it was good I was getting stressed about my timetable though lol

I know how you feel but just work hard these 9 months and you will get into the course of your choice :) xx

this. :pac: getting snapchats constantly but tbh during midterms and stuff I'll be visiting my friends so it's not bothering me as much as it should be :P

peekachoo wrote: »
    this. :pac: getting snapchats constantly but tbh during midterms and stuff I'll be visiting my friends so it's not bothering me as much as it should be :P

Haha omg same I've even deleted my snapchat because I'm getting so many party photos, yep same we still need a life. That was my problem last year I burned myself out and got rid of a social life.

I was the complete opposite I went out too much :rolleyes:

ahmdoda wrote: »
    put your attention on your books and dont let such stuff distract you there is only your self to blame for not doing the work last year so work harder this year to catch up with them the following year

I think thats a bit unfair.. I'm just saying how difficult it is not to have any of my friends in school to complain with because theyre out enjoying themselves. It is not distracting me and I also have to say that many repeat students did do the work last year, it's just the one week of exams didn't go well for them. Also I do want to keep my friends so I will be constantly catching up with them and that isn't going to affect my grades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

im repeating my leaving cert but i only have classes on friday ,i then have to study at home,really dont know how it will work out , BTW the secondary im going to is not state funded and isnt mainstream

im repeating my leaving cert but i only have classes on friday ,i then have to study at home,really dont know how it will work out , BTW the secondary im going to is not state funded and isnt mainstream

.. then why go there? Sounds like you're a bit skeptical. Tuition is very important when it comes down to the difference in understanding and knowing something - unless you're repeating one, possibly two subjects for the sake of passing them to fulfill requirements.

So how is everyone getting on so far? :)

• Advertisement

So how is everyone getting on so far? :)

so stressful. :confused: feel like i'm wasting my time going in for things like geography and biology where all i'm doing is exam papers in the back of the class that i could be doing on my own at home. And not doing anything in english either cause i'm doing different comparatives. If it wasn't for maths I'd have probably dropped out and went external by now. :pac:

Advertisement