Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat leaving cert students 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭iiHyPeRize

I remember doing my leaving cert for the first time back in 2011, and knowing I hadn't done that well. However, the thing was I didn't really know what I wanted to do in college. I ended up with something around 280 and an offer from DKIT for computing if I recall correctly. Now I didn't really want to do the course so I met with my principal and career-guidance teacher to discuss options.

The guidance teacher tried to convince be that a PLC was the best option, but I wasn't sure. I had my heart set on multimedia or journalism in DCU, but the thing was I didn't do higher level English, and I have literally no idea why - the teacher didn't like me and convinced me I wasn't good enough for higher-level so I went along with it. I decided that I wanted to go back and do higher level English on top of everything else, the problem was it was a brand new course in almost every subject, so I had to squeeze 2 years worth of knowledge into one year. So I said I'd drop a subject, now reflecting back I think I should have dropped Irish, it's very difficult to do a 2 year Irish course in one year. But I went for Maths, having already received a grade that would suffice for most of my needs. So I repeated everything bar Maths - in my case in was English (higher), Irish (ordinary), History (higher), Biology (higher), Geography (higher) and French (higher)

I repeated in my old-school simply because it was easier and I knew some people there. It's hard going back, you're the one that has to put the jumper back on and go in every single day. But to be honest, the year really goes by fast, I mean I remember starting in September and in before I knew it the leaving cert was a week away. My advice is just to go for it, if you repeat in your old school, you'll find you get a lot of leniency - as in the teachers are more sympathetic towards you, they're let things slide etc.. The hardest part is watching all your friends go on and being stuck behind. But you'll get there in the end, if you really want to. Motivation is the key thing; you have to want your ultimate goal and only you can go get it for yourself. I ended up with something around 410 points, which isn't a huge achievement but the thing I was most impressed was proving my principal wrong with regard to English. He told me that it would be difficult for the man himself James Joyce to return and repeat ordinary level English and pass, never mind returning and making the transition to higher level. I did so and achieved a B1 grade without ever reading the entire comparative texts, nor the single texts, so I can only imagine how I would have done had I been around doing higher level for 2 years. I'm now studying journalism in DCU. So any repeats needing any information about anything, just PM me, I've been there, went through it and grabbed my ultimate goal. But bear in mind, repeating doesn't mean you're going to do better, I've heard of people that did worse, so be wary. For the most part, it'll be worth it in 12 months time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ihate6thyear

i really wish i'd found this thread earlier!
    i'm repeating at the moment in my school and i'm finding it really tough especially with my friends all moving away to dublin and constantly talking about going out which i obviously can't do.
    I got 305 last year because I was sick a lot during 5th and 6th year..hopefully going to jump almost 200 points for my course :(
    anyone have any tips for doing a new comparative and poets? is the institute any good for english?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

i really wish i'd found this thread earlier!
    i'm repeating at the moment in my school and i'm finding it really tough especially with my friends all moving away to dublin and constantly talking about going out which i obviously can't do.
    I got 305 last year because I was sick a lot during 5th and 6th year..hopefully going to jump almost 200 points for my course :(
    anyone have any tips for doing a new comparative and poets? is the institute any good for english?

If you look up the syllabus for 2014 your texts might still be on it this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Anyone here sit economics last June I'd like to see if a Chief Examiners Report comes out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

I did it, I got a B1, god knows how.

• Advertisement

I did it, I got a B1, god knows how.

You did very well in general did you?

Sadly the texts I did last year aren't on it! I did the Great Gatsby and Emma and this year I'm doing Wuthering Heights and Pride and Prejudice!

Sadly the texts I did last year aren't on it! I did the Great Gatsby and Emma and this year I'm doing Wuthering Heights and Pride and Prejudice!

Only 2?

oncex wrote: »
    Only 2?

I did The Constant Gardener last year too but I never did the Q b only a!

I did The Constant Gardener last year too but I never did the Q b only a!

Would you not like the option? I'm doing a play movie and novel so it's easy to find comparisons

• Advertisement

You did very well in general did you?

:o

I got B1s in English, History, German and Economics and B3s in Business and Irish. My Irish and Business teachers were shocking and I don't do HL maths, but think I'm gonna have to repeat OL to meet the entry requirements of Business and Law and International Commerce.

Did anyone else find themselves disappointed with English? Only three in my year managed a B1 and there was a relatively high standard, at least seven or eight worthy of As all year!

:o

I got B1s in English, History, German and Economics and B3s in Business and Irish. My Irish and Business teachers were shocking and I don't do HL maths, but think I'm gonna have to repeat OL to meet the entry requirements of Business and Law and International Commerce.

Did anyone else find themselves disappointed with English? Only three in my year managed a B1 and there was a relatively high standard, at least seven or eight worthy of As all year!

Somewhat similar to myself too many bs for my liking. Completely agree on english it was those who got c's that got a2s and those (me) that were steady as got bs. Life just ain't fair...

Yep, a lad who completely discarded the subject for a year got a B1, bullsh*t of the highest order. Are you repeating in your old school? What are you hoping to do? :)

Yep, a lad who completely discarded the subject for a year got a B1, bullsh*t of the highest order. Are you repeating in your old school? What are you hoping to do? :)

Hate that like this is why I'm somewhat for continuous assesment. Yes I am I'm hating not going to a grinds school but its nice to be able to go home and study whenever. Occupational therapy has always been what I wanted to do, you?

How did everyone get on in rechecks?

Would you not like the option? I'm doing a play movie and novel so it's easy to find comparisons

My teacher doesn't do that question and he's the chief leaving cert examiner for English so I trust him :D
    What are you hoping to do next year?

My teacher doesn't do that question and he's the chief leaving cert examiner for English so I trust him :D
    What are you hoping to do next year?

So he'd rather you do the 2 part question? Occupational therapy you?

So he'd rather you do the 2 part question? Occupational therapy you?

He doesn't mind but I prefer Q a!
    That's what I want to do too :) are you applying for UCAS?

He doesn't mind but I prefer Q a!
    That's what I want to do too :) are you applying for UCAS?

Oooh race between the both of us so hahah yes how are you finding the application? What colleges are you looking at?

Oooh race between the both of us so hahah yes how are you finding the application? What colleges are you looking at?

I haven't really started yet but it's not too bad! University of Ulster and Trinity! I don't really want to leave Ireland..you?

I haven't really started yet but it's not too bad! University of Ulster and Trinity! I don't really want to leave Ireland..you?

Is ulster not uber expensive though? Looking into Scotland grades are far less! I haven't done much either we've lots of time :) ya me neither but if it gives a Second option in august then why not :)

• Advertisement

not really! yeah sure it doesn't have to be in until January :) what subjects are you doing?

Irish art history biology geography economics! Might sit french in June if things don't go my way the first few days. What about you?

Also when you talk aabout ulster fees aren't they €9000 or have I got that wrong?

Irish art history biology geography economics! Might sit french in June if things don't go my way the first few days. What about you?

Irish English geography music biology and French! Yeah but i really don't want to move away so I'm determined to get TCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jtaylol

Anyone else here doing Home Economics? Doing the tasks by myself, finding them a right pain in the ass. Got a B1 last year, need to scrape an A1 this year. Help. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

jtaylol wrote: »
    Anyone else here doing Home Economics? Doing the tasks by myself, finding them a right pain in the ass. Got a B1 last year, need to scrape an A1 this year. Help. :P

Yeah Im doing it! :D Cant wait to get it finished! :pac:

Irish English geography music biology and French! Yeah but i really don't want to move away so I'm determined to get TCD!

Were u far off it from last year? Lacking very sort of confidence in myself :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

I've hit the wall. :mad:

I've no interest and I'm trying so hard to get back into my study regime but I can't seem to :eek:

peekachoo wrote: »
    I've hit the wall. :mad:

I've no interest and I'm trying so hard to get back into my study regime but I can't seem to :eek:

Take the night off, start again tomorrow. We can do this! The thing about repeating is that we have the work done once so we feel its ok to not study as early as last year. Unfortunately it's the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 cjh111

GOT INTO TRINNERS WITH THE RE-CHECKS. Yeah bitches. Anyone else? No? Alrighty....well the solemnest of salutes to your brave brave folks taking this on. You's got this...

Advertisement