Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat leaving cert students 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

cjh111 wrote: »
    GOT INTO TRINNERS WITH THE RE-CHECKS. Yeah bitches. Anyone else? No? Alrighty....well the solemnest of salutes to your brave brave folks taking this on. You's got this...

Oh well done, was it your first choice? You're actually so lucky, good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cjh111

Yeah it was my first choice.Going from repeating the leaving to my first choice , it's still fecking unbelievable. I truly am the jammiest of bastards...

Yeah it was my first choice.Going from repeating the leaving to my first choice , it's still fecking unbelievable. I truly am the jammiest of bastards...

A little part of me hates you be gone from this forum haha are you taking it
    Or deferring?

Yeah , haha that is understandable. there was a hint of that when i was leaving rathmines. Was just like " Right...Cya's!". I'm taking this year , i'm already in there. Just a matter of catching up and that sort of thing.

Yeah , haha that is understandable. there was a hint of that when i was leaving rathmines. Was just like " Right...Cya's!". I'm taking this year , i'm already in there. Just a matter of catching up and that sort of thing.

Out of curiousity whats your course? Hope it all works out well for you anyway:)

Looks like weve lost a comrade :D

• Advertisement

B.E.S.S - Business , Economic and Social Studies. Should do , i'm really enjoying it already.

Once a comrade , always a comrade , comrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Once a comrade , always a comrade , comrade.

*salutes* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

anybody else hit the wall yet? I have no motivation anymore :(

Bonbon1995 wrote: »

yep, a week or two back, still not recovered :o
    Still trying to get something done over midterm though even if its nowhere near what I would like to get done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Yeah I'm beginning to feel a bit disillusioned. School just feels tedious most of the time and I've done more drinking than studying since the mid-term started ;) Although it might sound strange I find a couple of early mornings can help studying. I got up this morning at 6 and managed to get a good three hours done. I then spent the day relaxing and was a lot less agitated and anxious as i knew I had done a decent bit of work.
    To be honest, this mid-term break isn't that important for studying. Christmas and Easter are the ones where you need to get 7-8 hours done every day.

• Advertisement

When you're a repeat I feel like we're expected to make every minute count! haha... even the teachers go to me " make sure you're studying now ;)" :S.. Damn sraith pictuiri are the worst..WHY can't they stay the same every year!! If anyone finds motivation send it my way please ;)

peekachoo wrote: »
    yep, a week or two back, still not recovered :o
    Still trying to get something done over midterm though even if its nowhere near what I would like to get done!

Ahh i recognise you're name from a thread last year .. never expected to see us back in a thread school related :( how much were you off by?!:confused:

Ahh i recognise you're name from a thread last year .. never expected to see us back in a thread school related :( how much were you off by?!:confused:

well I was never expecting my first course tbh the points are like 550, was aiming for a course in UCC, had the points from 2012 and it went up by 45 so I'm back :pac::pac: how about you?

Shouldn't have gone out last night. Living the college lifestyle this week has ruined every chance of me studying tonight,

well I was never expecting my first course tbh the points are like 550, was aiming for a course in UCC, had the points from 2012 and it went up by 45 so I'm back :pac::pac: how about you?

Fell you're pain!:rolleyes: my course in UL went up 40 this year ! Damn 4th year!!:mad:

Fell you're pain!:rolleyes: my course in UL went up 40 this year ! Damn 4th year!!:mad:

haha this exactly, knew I should have went from 3rd to 5th year :pac:
    Ah sure, hopefully be grand this year, if something similar happens again I will genuinely just give up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Louiseh714

I'm really stuck on how to study for English. Last year I used to write one essay per poet learn it off and then fit it into any title that came up in tests but I never got an excellent mark! Is there anyway to study for English excluding learning an essay off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Louiseh714 wrote: »
    I'm really stuck on how to study for English. Last year I used to write one essay per poet learn it off and then fit it into any title that came up in tests but I never got an excellent mark! Is there anyway to study for English excluding learning an essay off?

Examiners hate students learning off essays and 'fitting it into the title'. Generally they can spot them straight away. For every poet you do, take your preferred 4/5 poems and look at the themes, imagery, language, similes, metaphor's etc. What is the tone of the poem like? Is the language sophisticated, or simple and childlike?
    Also, ask does the theme/issue presented in the poem relate to real life and does it interest you?
    While you need to write about a generally accepted interpretation of poems, you will score way higher if you add a personal touch and not just give a summary of the poem. Also, its perfectly acceptable to use 'pass' poems in your answers. They are far easier to go into detail on and it looks better in an answer to have a very good knowledge of a shorter poem than give a 'rusty' answer on a more difficult poem with far-reaching themes that you probably have little interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Lena137

I got a college course in my favourite place in the world but course wasn't for me. I have always wanted to be a writer. My first choice last year was Creative Writing in the same college but didn't get the points. Couldn't transfer internally so I withdrew from college earlier this week and am starting school(in different school) Monday... Hate having to go home to do this. But I know it's what I need to do in the long run. I'm gonna miss everyone :/ it's giving me the motivation for this year though. I have only one option: get the Creative Writing course. There is no buts or ifs. I am getting it! And I'll be back in September with my friends :)

Not 100% decided on subjects yet but most likely will be: English, History, Geography, Accounting, Business, Irish(?), Math(O), LCVP
    I don't need Irish or Math but the principal really wants me to do Math because of my results in the J.C. and last year. Not sure it's worth it. I never had the chance to do HL Irish because the class was too big in my school. In OL I got an A in J.C. and a C3 last year without studying it/going to school. Not sure whether to try and get A in pass or a C in HL?

Lena137 wrote: »
    I got a college course in my favourite place in the world but course wasn't for me. I have always wanted to be a writer. My first choice last year was Creative Writing in the same college but didn't get the points. Couldn't transfer internally so I withdrew from college earlier this week and am starting school(in different school) Monday... Hate having to go home to do this. But I know it's what I need to do in the long run. I'm gonna miss everyone :/ it's giving me the motivation for this year though. I have only one option: get the Creative Writing course. There is no buts or ifs. I am getting it! And I'll be back in September with my friends :)

Not 100% decided on subjects yet but most likely will be: English, History, Geography, Accounting, Business, Irish(?), Math(O), LCVP
    I don't need Irish or Math but the principal really wants me to do Math because of my results in the J.C. and last year. Not sure it's worth it. I never had the chance to do HL Irish because the class was too big in my school. In OL I got an A in J.C. and a C3 last year without studying it/going to school. Not sure whether to try and get A in pass or a C in HL?

There's really no point in doing pass maths, if you passed it. Not like you'll count the points :) I'm doing 6 honour subjects and it's enough tbh. how many points are you looking for??

• Advertisement

Lena137 wrote: »
    Hate having to go home to do this. But I know it's what I need to do in the long run.
    Its honestly not that bad once the first few weeks pass. It will be worth it and you're allowed to feel lonely but studying fills that void ironically:P hang in there :)

Don't forget you have to do projects for geography and history and your orals. And make sure to check if you're comparitive is the same for english. Did you do higher irish last year? Personally I wouldn't bother with irish and maths if you're good at LCVP.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jtaylol

I've hit the end of my tether. Between study, hpat prep and school I'm finding myself stretched too thin. I'm just so damn tired, was never like this first time around. I'm at home doing maths today, had 8/9 free classes yesterday so didn't see the point in going into school and mucking about. Anyone else losing the will to live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

It may not seem like much but remember pain is temporary, glory is forever

jtaylol wrote: »
    I've hit the end of my tether. Between study, hpat prep and school I'm finding myself stretched too thin. I'm just so damn tired, was never like this first time around. I'm at home doing maths today, had 8/9 free classes yesterday so didn't see the point in going into school and mucking about. Anyone else losing the will to live?

a month on going this feeling too. Our school has crap system going on, expected to sit in a noisy coridoor and "study"...

a month on going this feeling too. Our school has crap system going on, expected to sit in a noisy coridoor and "study"...

"Just do whatever exam questions you want in this class" *teacher plays on iPad for entire class*

Driving me mad. I like working by myself and all, but this is taking the mick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

jtaylol wrote: »
    "Just do whatever exam questions you want in this class" *teacher plays on iPad for entire class*

Driving me mad. I like working by myself and all, but this is taking the mick.

Is that during a timetabled class, or a substitution class?
    If it's timetabled you need to tell the Principal.

We're halfway through guys we have come this far :D

Yay :D
    I've an irish oral next week I almost forgot how horrible the sraith pictiurs are :/
    The sooner June comes the better (can't believe I'm saying that :eek:) :D

spurious wrote: »
    Is that during a timetabled class, or a substitution class?
    If it's timetabled you need to tell the Principal.

Timetabled, but the principal wouldn't bother his head checking it. Am in one of those schools where we get brill results, but everyone get grinds. Go figure.

• Advertisement

Yay :D
    I've an irish oral next week I almost forgot how horrible the sraith pictiurs are :/
    The sooner June comes the better (can't believe I'm saying that :eek:) :D

Haha im counting down the days :D yes they're ruining my life, and the orals are so early this year too :eek:

Advertisement